What's new

I Need Some Scales Made

While you're waiting for some experienced replies, why not show us what you got? What is the blade and its condition? Tell us what you want regarding scale material and style...that kind of stuff. It might help. Be fun, regardless :001_smile

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Who's the guy to do it?

You are.

Seriously, scales are pretty easy. No power tools needed. TAP Plastics for 1/8" acrylic sheet. Pick your favorite color. Translucent, opaque, whatevah. Use an old scale for a template. Or use this one from my site:

proxy.php

You will want a coping saw for cutting, a flat bastard file and a quarter round file for shaping, sandpaper from 60 to whatevah grit, and a couple of 1/16" drill bits. You don't even need a drill, though a pin vise is handy. (get it on ebay... they are hard to find in hardware stores) You can even wrap some tape around the shank of the bit and twirl it with your fingers.

For pinning go to microfasteners.com for size 0 washers. You can also pin with their size 0-80 bolts and nuts. The nuts will back off so use a TINY bit of loctite or peen the end of the bolt down on the nut. Or don't even use the nuts for permanent pinning, must peen them down right on the washers. These bolts are brass and fairly soft. You can peen them down with a heavy tablespoon, which is what I use. Works better than a hammer. Or you can do a more professional job with dome or cup washers and nickel/silver rod made specially for pinning razors.

Making and installing scales really is an easy job, with simple tool and material requirements. This is a great intro to razor restoration or razor making.

Acrylic is super easy to work and dirt cheap, but in time you might want to try exotic woods, or horn, or bone, or antique or mammoth ivory. Fleabay is your friend, for scale material.

While you're waiting for some experienced replies, why not show us what you got? What is the blade and its condition? Tell us what you want regarding scale material and style...that kind of stuff. It might help. Be fun, regardless :001_smile

Sure, picked this up for $20 from an antique store. The scales were broken so I just bought it for the blade. In pretty good shape, shows some age but not much. As far as scales, I think I would like Wood with some texture, something like dimpling or an anso pattern.$IMG_1160.jpg

$IMG_1161.jpg

If you like texture, there's a guy on here goes by Seraphim, and does Vorpal Blades, I think it is. He seems to be into textures from what I've seen. You might check him out. Your anso idea made me think of him.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
You are.

Seriously, scales are pretty easy. No power tools needed. TAP Plastics for 1/8" acrylic sheet. Pick your favorite color. Translucent, opaque, whatevah. Use an old scale for a template. Or use this one from my site:

proxy.php

You will want a coping saw for cutting, a flat bastard file and a quarter round file for shaping, sandpaper from 60 to whatevah grit, and a couple of 1/16" drill bits. You don't even need a drill, though a pin vise is handy. (get it on ebay... they are hard to find in hardware stores) You can even wrap some tape around the shank of the bit and twirl it with your fingers.

For pinning go to microfasteners.com for size 0 washers. You can also pin with their size 0-80 bolts and nuts. The nuts will back off so use a TINY bit of loctite or peen the end of the bolt down on the nut. Or don't even use the nuts for permanent pinning, must peen them down right on the washers. These bolts are brass and fairly soft. You can peen them down with a heavy tablespoon, which is what I use. Works better than a hammer. Or you can do a more professional job with dome or cup washers and nickel/silver rod made specially for pinning razors.

Making and installing scales really is an easy job, with simple tool and material requirements. This is a great intro to razor restoration or razor making.

Acrylic is super easy to work and dirt cheap, but in time you might want to try exotic woods, or horn, or bone, or antique or mammoth ivory. Fleabay is your friend, for scale material.
+1
Making scales is relatively simple with minimal tools and it's more rewarding having something you've made gracing your razor. It's cheap depending on the material you decide on and it's fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sure, picked this up for $20 from an antique store. The scales were broken so I just bought it for the blade. In pretty good shape, shows some age but not much. As far as scales, I think I would like Wood with some texture, something like dimpling or an anso pattern.View attachment 653695

View attachment 653697

I've got the same blade (only mine had a slight frown that needed a little work), it is fantastic to shave with. You can certainly get a set of plastic scales from Maggards for about $10 including pins. I found that the pivot hole was a bit worn and I think Genco's use a larger pin anyway so the 1/8" pin I was planning to use allowed too much movement. I ended up gluing in a micro nut (drilled through so it was smooth) into the pivot hole...perfect fit for an 1/8" pin. OR You can get the right size brass rod at Hobby Lobby and make sure the holes in the scale are drilled out to the right size.

If you can't find anyone to do it pm me. I've got a few people in working on now but I make scales pretty frequently. I've got some Birdseye maple, padauk, African mahogany, leopard wood, and bocote. I'm ordering some zebra wood and if you find something you really want and bell forest has it I'll order it and work on yours. Might take a little time though.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hey Jaw did you ever get any scales? I just had some 3D printed in white ABS. PM me if you are interested. I'll need the length and width of the blade to make sure they will fit, too.

I found that the pivot hole was a bit worn and I think Genco's use a larger pin anyway so the 1/8" pin I was planning to use allowed too much movement.

Chris, the pivot hole being over sized of the pin is the way they are made... Even with a brand new razor! My big 'ol W&B has a pivot hole ya' chuck a cat through! I don't do anything special with them... Just pin them with 1/16 rod. The tension of the rivet (pin) is enough to hold everything in place. That little bit of slack can be useful if you need to tweak things a bit to git the blade to center =)

!!!WARNING!!!the making of your own scales will certainly led to serious SRAD.Next thing you know you will be making your own straights.we have seen it happen right here on our very own B&B.it is advised that you proceed with EXTREME caution.
Cant wait to see the finished razor btw:thumbup:
PS;Harbor Freight has a great pinging block to ping your rounded washers on

Top Bottom