What's new

Tortoise shell scales

Should I get some tortoise shell scales that have been damaged? It seems like some mold-like growth is present per pictures. Is it treatable? Fixable? The blade is shot. I’ll have to move the scales to another better blade. Is it doable ?

IMG_4232.jpegIMG_4231.jpeg

Hope these work

Hard to say from photos, but questionable if Tortoise. The collared pins and the dark pigment does not appear layered. Looks more like dyed Horn, but a good one.

Depends on the price, I have bought many a razor for the scales. Those do look nice, even if not real tortoise. Under $20 I would roll the dice, probably could not make a nice set of faux scales for $20 and that size should fit many blades.

Sand with 600, buff on a wheel with Green Stainless compound or by hand with any good metal polish.

Hard to say from photos, but questionable if Tortoise. The collared pins and the dark pigment does not appear layered. Looks more like dyed Horn, but a good one.

Depends on the price, I have bought many a razor for the scales. Those do look nice, even if not real tortoise. Under $20 I would roll the dice, probably could not make a nice set of faux scales for $20 and that size should fit many blades.

Sand with 600, buff on a wheel with Green Stainless compound or by hand with any good metal polish.

I wouldn't go as far as dyed horn.

They look like plastic to me.

Hard to say, they do look thin. There used to be some very nice Tortoise plastic sheets available, I still have a few sheets that I think I bought from Masecraft, 10 or so years ago.

Some celluloid and plastics can be very nice looking even if not resembling real Tortoise, I have always liked the scales on the Craftsman razors, made by Koeller and Ern and possibly others.

Below are a pair, not mine of Koeller/Craftsman. I do have a couple of Ern Craftsman.

StaSharp1.jpg

Whether or not they're actual turtle shell, the pattern is pretty realistic. So if they clean up well, that's a win. Context clues like the collars and the brand (is it a Simmons Hardware?) suggest not but I've seen stranger things.

I had a set on a worn out narrow Henckels that looked "right" but the blade had some weird oxidation. Not typical cell rot but I sequestered it to be sure. In the process of messing around I ended up cracking one...sadly, although they were pretty small so I didn't really have a plan for them. But to satisfy my curiosity, I did do some sanding and flame testing. They may not have been tortoise but they definitely weren't celluloid. They also had some surface delamination and spiderweb cracking that was odd...and they wouldn't soak up oil like horn. As far as I know shell is keratin based like horn but the physical properties may be different.

Whether or not they're actual turtle shell, the pattern is pretty realistic
Yes - I received the razor in hand today - will get good pictures in the daytime tomorrow. I cleaned with light scraping of the gunk, used mothers polish followed by jewelers wipe.

As thin as (or maybe even thinner than) ivory.
Shiny without the plasticky petroleum shine.
Scaly finish, signs of tiny bug bites.
Color in various layers, not just the bottom (i.e., not painted)
Even the dark layer is kinda translucent (I suppose this will occur for painted horn, but I don't think this is horn)

Are there any caretaking tips? Should I use mineral oil lightly?

These scales are dressing a Keen Kutter 4451 (Yes, Simmons Hardware) - blade is OK; I've honed on a coticule. Will try as-is tomorrow. Plan is to use as-is for now until I pick up the courage to move them to a near new Bismarck.

Given that shot, I doubt if they are Tortoiseshell, another pointer, they only put Tortoiseshell on pretty high-end razors, I cannot see them dressing a Keen Cutter in Tortoiseshell.

Given that shot, I doubt if they are Tortoiseshell, another pointer, they only put Tortoiseshell on pretty high-end razors, I cannot see them dressing a Keen Cutter in Tortoiseshell.
You’re probably right. It might just be a little wishful thinking on my part here.

I might've slightly overpaid ($30 shipped) for a pair of scales I needed anyway.

Sand over a clean cookie sheet or paper to save the dust. It can be used with CA glue to fill bug bites.

Sand with 600 and if you need more dust, sand the inside of the scales once you get them apart.

Yes, once polished with any good metal polish, wipe with a light coat of mineral oil to hydrate.

Top Bottom