What's new

Review: Trigodon shaving soap (croap) from India

Could you please post some pictures of the razor.

Sorry that it took me so long!

Great grip, heavy handle:

$FullSizeRender-6.jpg

$FullSizeRender-5.jpg

That blade exposure!

$FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Been using this soap regularly now. This is one of the best soaps in my arsenal now. And my stock consists of Cella, Proraso and Haslinger. Trigodon is right up with them. Wonderful performance!

We have an office in India and my boss just happens to be visiting there this week I'm going to get him to bring me some back.

I recently moved from Australia to India and for Diwali celebration gifts, I asked for Trigodon Deflavara and Calm Seas shaving soaps.

All I can say is these scents are just divine! Scent strength is perfect and very present during the shave and faint afterwards (medium-well on the steak scale). The performance is wonderful with full slickness of top tier soaps, I didn't miss tallow at all during my shave.

The post shave no longer dries my face like the previous turquoise dreams, so either the scent dried me out due to irritation or they've changed the formula to reduce coconut oil and increase stearic acid and perhaps also the shea butter, as my skin feels very nicely nourished after the shave.

I would urge the likes of Maggards etc to order wholesale and make these wonderful soaps available to all you good folks.

I recently moved from Australia to India and for Diwali celebration gifts, I asked for Trigodon Deflavara and Calm Seas shaving soaps.

All I can say is these scents are just divine! Scent strength is perfect and very present during the shave and faint afterwards (medium-well on the steak scale). The performance is wonderful with full slickness of top tier soaps, I didn't miss tallow at all during my shave.

The post shave no longer dries my face like the previous turquoise dreams, so either the scent dried me out due to irritation or they've changed the formula to reduce coconut oil and increase stearic acid and perhaps also the shea butter, as my skin feels very nicely nourished after the shave.

I would urge the likes of Maggards etc to order wholesale and make these wonderful soaps available to all you good folks.

+100.

In rotation for today's shave is the Calm Seas soap! Can you describe the scent on Deflavra?

+100.

In rotation for today's shave is the Calm Seas soap! Can you describe the scent on Deflavra?

I get the zingy top note of grapefruit, after that I can't isolate notes but it's a wonderfully pleasing combination. The scent is not dark or woody but remains fairly refreshing but in a complex way, not simple lime/citrus fresh.

I really can't recommend it highly enough. Trigodon is now firmly in the top 10 of my 70+ soap rotation.

I get the zingy top note of grapefruit, after that I can't isolate notes but it's a wonderfully pleasing combination. The scent is not dark or woody but remains fairly refreshing but in a complex way, not simple lime/citrus fresh.

I really can't recommend it highly enough. Trigodon is now firmly in the top 10 of my 70+ soap rotation.

Great. It's on sale at 50 off on Flipkart. Let me get that scent too! Also the turquoise dream scent is the lime/citrusy scent, right?

Great. It's on sale at 50 off on Flipkart. Let me get that scent too! Also the turquoise dream scent is the lime/citrusy scent, right?

Yup, very lemony actually...and not really a natural lemon scent. They may have changed the scent (as I suspect the formula has been changed) but based on the one I have, it's my least preferred trigodon scents...as in, I love deflavra and Calm Seas and will always keep them in rotation but will not repurchase turquoise dreams.

Next on my list is the lilac scent, which is the only one I don't have.

I did get someone to bring me back all four of them. This stuff will lather if you look at it funny. The lilac is very strongly scented, I love it. Calm seas is a great one as well.

$soap.jpg

Last edited:
I was surprised to find a soap like this in India as the only commercial shaving soap that exists is the Godrej shaving round.

This is the one and only Artisan shaving soap I know of in India.

Cost is Rs.700 (AUD$15) for 120g of soap. I don't know about international shipping as I got it while I was there.

Communication with the company was easy and straight-forward.

Handmade Shaving Soap - Turquoise Dream (Lasts 12 months if you shave everyday)

Consistency is of a hard putty (hard croap). It comes in a beautiful, wide diameter steel tin (really easy to lather in!!).

It contains shae butter and glycerin. The Turquoise Dream scent is a fresh and slightly lemoney scent. Definitely better lathered up than straight from the tin.
Lathering is ultra easy! I loaded for about 10 seconds and had enough for the entire 3 pass shave.
It lathers up think and youghurty with a great sheen. It also holds a lot of water so is easy to work with.

It reminded me a lot of the MDC sample I had tried. Possible due to both being high in coconut oil but the loading and lathering brought MDC to mind.

The shave itself, the lather was very slick and protective. It really softens the beard and leaves a nice slickness behind so I could go over the same spot again, if needed.

I finished off my shave and rinsed off. Skin was a tiny bit dry (just like with MDC) but nothing too much and my ASB fixed that up.
The fragrance did irritate my face however, this is a YMMV factor as I react to many, many soaps out there!!

Overall, I must say I wasn't expecting an Artisan soap from India to be this good! Performance definitely competes with other soaps I have used.

There are a few other Artisan soap manufacturers in India. Trigodon is maybe the only one with an online storefront and some detail you can read into.

Theres one called Aks I think. Its from Bangalore. They do soaps on order. I am about to receive a piece from them by Monday. There are a lot of other soap makers from Bangalore, Coimbatore and even Delhi. I am not sure if they specialize in shaving soaps but I think a few of them make it to order.

I myself am an avid user of Bio Palmyra and quite new to artisan soaps. But I have a feeling that its only going to be crazy here on.

I don't think anyone else does shaving soaps here other than Trigodon and Godrej. Aks (and there are plenty of other home-made natural soap makers in India) make great bathing soaps, but I haven't seen anyone make a quality shaving soap. I have tried a couple of other herbal/natural shaving soaps like Neev and Greenviv - both mediocre. They give the same protection and performance like a cheap Lifebuoy bathing soap.

I saw another interesting company called Vert - Vert Orange Aloe Vera Shaving Soap, 100g: Amazon.in: Beauty

But their soaps are sold out on Amazon and I don't think they're making any more soaps or are out of business. Any how it doesn't look any different from Neev or Greenviv.

There's another shaving soap called Zerotox by Healthbuddy and those soaps are downright terrible and dreadful. Ended up finishing them as bathing soaps. Would love to see other makers make good shaving soaps, but I'm afraid Trigodon is the only one which is worth any attention. Everyone else is pretty much making generic bathing soaps and just sticking the word "shaving" into the title or description to keep their products coming up on online searches.

I am going to take your word for this OB. I was going to look into a few more but noy maybe not.
The one I got was also a Trigodon soap but directly from the artisan who made it.
Still waiting for to do a proper trial for the soap.

AK

Top Bottom