What's new

Keith's Straight Razor Odyssey

Straight Razor check-in: 10/25/2016
Razors: CVH No. 4, stropped 25/50 pre, 25 post
Brush: Parker Pure Badger
Soap: Tabac Original
AS: Floid Vigoroso
SOTD: John Varvatos Vintage

I chose the Heljestrand as I really wanted a good shave without mystery or incident. Don't get me wrong, the CVH is plenty capable of wreaking havoc on my face, but it's very controllable if I keep my wits about me whilst shaving with it. I didn't have a ton of time and the CVH needed to be my steady sidekick.

My standard operating procedure was employed with two passes (WTG/ATG). My results were a glorious BBS+! It was a great way to start the day and it put a smile on my face that lasted quite a while. The other nice thing about a shave like this is that you can continue to enjoy the smooth results for most of the day.

No surprises, no disappointment, just a terrific shave. You can't ask for more than that from an old razor (or the geezer holding it) :thumbup1:

Straight Razor check-in: 10/26/2016
Razors: Prince Deluxe, stropped 25/50 pre, 25 post
Brush: Parker Pure Badger
Soap: Tabac Original
AS: Pinaud Clubman
SOTD: John Varvatos Vintage

The Prince Deluxe was up to bat this morning. I'm still a bit surprised that I like this razor so much. It's a bit unwieldy compared to my other full-hollow 5/8's. It just seems like it should lumber like a drunken Rhino. But once in the hand, it feels much lighter than it should. It's kind of like driving a modern Bentley. You know how large and heavy it is, and yet it's much faster and more nimble than you would expect. No, I don't own one and it's not exactly my brand of vodka even if I did have the means . . . Two passes (WTG/ATG) were completed without too much fanfare. The Prince did remarkably well once again. It's not quite as easy to use in detail areas around the nose and corners of the mouth, but a bit of patience yields dividends. Overall, this shave was BBS-. Not quite the grail shave of yesterday, but still terrific. No complaints here!

I'm going to heed Doc's advice and bench the Wester Brothers razor for a while. I want to see if "I can get my mind right" with it at a later date. If not, then to the internet it shall go. I kinda have my eye on something from Sheffield. Perhaps a Wade & Butcher or a Wosteholm . . . ?

Straight Razor check-in: 11/11/2016

It's been a while since my last journal entry. Work, travel, karate, life and laziness are to blame. Although I haven't been journaling, I have been SR shaving and getting very good results. I've been alternating between my beloved CVH No. 4 and my new (new to me anyways) Prince. The CVH continues to yield superior shaves. The Prince is beginning to show some signs that it's losing a bit of its keenness and I think that it's probably time for me to invest some money and time into learning how to use FeOx and CrOx paste on balsa. Wish me luck . . . I still have my Wester Brothers razor held in reserve after struggling with it a bit. I have been tempted to try it again, but I think that I'll keep in in reserve in case of a razor-eating zombie apocalypse.

A couple of work trips have necessitated the use of my dreaded Bic Metal disposables. While I still don't really like them, I think that we're forming a necessary bond and some kind of understanding. While on the road and living out of a carry-on, you've got to be a bit flexible. A nice badger brush, some good lather and a positive attitude all reduce the dreariness. The shaves seem to be a little better too with this new cumbaya.

On the soap front, I'm scraping every last swirl of thick, rich Tabac out of its heavy glass bowl. I really love this soap and I suspect that it will become a staple in the shave den. In the meantime, there are a ton of soaps that I want to try. To that end, a cake of MWF has just arrived and my first shave with it was fantastic! While I was soap shopping, I also picked up a stick of DRH Arlington for travel. It smells great and I can't wait to try it. I have been using Proraso Green croap and I do like it, but I'm getting low on it as well and I really wanted to try a stick soap.

I've also used my DE (once), when time was just too tight and I still had to have a shave or risk losing my mind. I still do like shaving with my DE, but mostly out of convenience and for something different. The shave is good, but not SR good. Nevertheless, the DE will always a place in my den!

Nothing new in the AS department, but I am running a bit low on Floid Vigoroso . . . What to try next?

Happy Friday gents!

Bic Metal is my carry-on option too. I wish injectors were permitted, but the blades are "removable" and weren't allowed the last time I checked. I'm glad the SRs have been giving you great shaves.

Hello Gents,
It's been ages since I've posted and I've missed participating. I've felt a little guilty if I'm honest, but I've felt guilty about missing many things in my personal life. Work has consumed an inordinate measure of my life and I'm working diligently to change that. I have been SR shaving and loving it! I'll try to check in somewhat regularly as I return to some form of professional normalcy. Hope you've all been healthy and wealthy. I need not ask about you being wise, as you've all been wise for many moons!

Top Bottom