What's new

Keith's Straight Razor Odyssey

Great shave and write up Keith! It's funny, I remember seeing the movie and really enjoying it, but I don't think I ever realized that Tucker made his cars in Michigan.

Keith my friend, get a Shick Model G injector. Fun to use, cheap blades and travels well. I love both of mine! The Harvester was new when I graduated high school :lol:

Ahhh . . . so you're still a youngster!

It's one year fresher than me and I think it's in better shape :lol:

Straight Razor catch up: 09/22 & 09/23 2016 plus the weekend through 09/26/16

Straight: C.V. Heljestrand, No. 4, stropped 30/60 pre, no strop post(09/22/16)
Straight: Wester Brothers Mono stropped 30/60 pre, no strop post (09/22/16)
Safety Razor: Parker long handle with Gillettte Silver Blue blade
Soap: Tabac Original
Brush: Parker Pure Badger
AS: Pinaud Clubman both days
SOTD: John Varvatos Original

Just catching up from a busy week last. I was in Vegas for the majority of the work week and was able to squeeze in an SR shave on Thursday and Friday to wrap the work week up. I was tickled to be back home and shaving with a straight. While on the road, I did manage to get decent shaves with the BIC plastics, but it's a soul-sucking experience. I think that this means that I've turned into a shaving snob and I'm actually totally OK with that :001_smile

Prep, execution and results were very similar for both shaves and employed my usual two-pass WTG/ATG routine. It felt terrific to get two DFS+ results after shaving with a weightless, nothing of a razor. I didn't bother stropping either razor post-shave as I was just going to pack them up to send them off to Maine for some maintenance. I think I'm going to have the CVH restored and re-scaled. The Wester has already been re-scaled in some lovely fake pearl mother of toilet seat and looks pretty good. The blade needs some love though and will hopefully get it.

As I've shipped my straights off to the spa in New England, that leaves me with my DE. It's kinda interesting to me that I'm now not enjoying shaving with my DE very much (see my snob comments in paragraph one). OK, it's not that I'm disliking the process, but I don't think I'm getting great shaves with it. I think that I'm out of practice with it and that it just doesn't shave as close. I also notice more irritation than I would like. It actually will be good to have a few days more with it to get re-acquainted. I expect that Doc47's razor passaround box will show up in a few days and I'll be back to straights again - YIPPEEE!!!!

Happy Monday gents!

I'm going to enjoy hearing your thoughts on the passaround box!
I'm not sure if I enjoy shaving with anything that isn't a SR anymore, and I still get excellent shaves with my DEs and SEs. Straights are just more exciting.

DE Shave: 09/27/2016
Razor: Parker Long Handle
AS: Pinaud Clubman

This morning's shave was another DE shave while my my straights are out for an overhaul. The shave was better than I've had in the last few days and I think that most of the "trouble" I've had with my DE is just from being out of practice. There is however, no doubt that I get a better shave with my SR's. The results today were DFS- and I was happy with that result.

The good news is that Doc47's razor box arrived this afternoon, so I once again have a batch of SR's to use! I've started a new thread to chronicle my experiences with the razor box selections. Wish me luck - there are a couple of mean-looking cleavers in that group . . . . :blink:

Have no fear Keith, I've tried to find evidence of accidental shave related deaths and have come up empty. Sure, disfiguring injuries aren't uncommon, but no fatalities! :thumbup:

HA! These were from infection, not from traumatic loss of precious bodily fluids! I found plenty of cases of blood-poisoning and staph/strep infection from poor cleaning, but haven't found anyone having leaked too much! :lol::lol: :thumbup:

Straight Razor check-in: 10/14 & 10/15/2016
Razors: CVH no. 4 & Wester Brothers Mono
AS: Pinaud Clubman
SOTD: John Varvatos Vintage

I'm returning to my normal journal programming after an awesome experience with Doc47's razor pass around. It was a great experience and I would love to do it again. I wrote about my experiences in a separate thread "12 days & 6 Straights." I'm now back to my regular pair of razors and it's good to be back using them. While I was testing the razor box, I had sent the Wester Brothers and CVH to Karl Johnson in Maine for a refresh. Karl came highly recommended for his honing and restoration skills. Karl was quick, communicative, honest and does great work.

Yesterday was my first shave with my freshened razors, and first up was the CVH No.4. It was a little strange suddenly picking up a razor that I've used dozens of times after switching from one novel razor to another for the last two weeks. While testing two of the razor box contestants, I had actually used the CVH for a couple of chin and mustache clean-up passes, but had not completed a full shave with it.

My first impression is that it felt like it did after its previous honing by Brad Maggard. This thing is wicked sharp! I completed two good passes (WTG/ATG), but managed to nick my right check in the process. It wasn't a bad cut, but it did leave a tell-tale kitty scratch. Results were BBS- and my pride was a little hurt. I had spent the last two weeks shaving with all manner of metal and my trusty CVH bit me! How's that for being born under a bad sign . . . ?

Today's shave was with my Wester Brothers. This was my very first SR and it holds a special place in my heart as the first one. It's not always been the greatest tool, but some of that is likely down to my lack of skill. As above, two passes (WTG/ATG) and BBS- results. This razor was also granted "license to kill" status by Karl and I managed to nick myself twice more on my right side. I have a second scratch on my cheek near the ear and another under my right jaw. Now it really looks like I was in a cat fight! It's interesting that all of my fresh razor nicks have occurred while shaving with my dominant right hand. I seem to be blood free shaving with my left hand - very strange indeed.

I suspect that I'll get in the groove after I slow down a bit. I need to remind myself that just because these are familiar tools, they are still straight razors and also ones that have just been turned into microtome blades by Karl! It's good to be back with with my regular razor peeps and to now have a third razor in the rotation. The Prince Deluxe will now take a spot in the routine and I look forward to many shaving adventures with it! I wasn't sure if I was going to pick the Prince out of the razor box as it's not the nicest looking kitten in the litter, but it shaves like nobody's business. I described it to my wife as being reliable, but a bit scruffy. Her response was, "kinda like you." We both smiled and it was then that I knew that the Prince had to join the collection.

Awesome having your razors back! Now it's like learning all over again with new edges! We need pics of these guys though. :)

Nice couple of shaves Keith. May I suggest that with freshly honed blades you pay extra special attention to keeping very, very light pressure with the razor and a more shallow angle. (I'll bet you use much less pressure with your non-dominant hand. Just something to think about. :thumbup:

Very wise advice Dan! I seem to have trouble with this until Mr. Murphy shows up for a reunion tour!

Top Bottom