What's new

Fitness challenge to Summer 2016

Did another "worst 8 minutes of my week" - the very intense weight lifting routine based on Body By Science. I'm very pleased that after a few years of work I finally pushed the whole stack on the leg press today - in super slow motion for 2 minutes.

On the other hand, I read a quote on the web that "bragging about your leg press is like bragging about finishing the TV Guide Crossword." So there's that. :lol:

At the gym last night, doing some treadmill and free weights.

Off tonight, but back again tomorrow :thumbsup:

After the first thirty days I have lost only one pound. Which didn't make sense to me because I've been working out regularly. So I measured my waist and I've lost half of an inch; based on past weight loss that translates to roughly five pounds of fat. I'm happy with the results. My resting heart rate has also improved from 58 to 55.

I had a good week if training, followed by a bad week and a stinking cold. Still have the cold but hoping to get back in the gym tomorrow and make it another good week.

Still in it, had a cold last week and what I'm guessing was a dislocated finger. Seemed to pop back into place last night, worked out today with no pain at all. Maybe jammed or a little fracture? It hurt for a week and I was thinking about getting it checked out today so I was pretty happy that it sorted itself out.
Lost a couple more pounds. Hitting it hard this week.

I got off to a bit of a rocky start climbing to about 193 but am doing well now. I'm in a place now with work and other things where I can set a routine. as for my goals:
-I'm on track to meet or exceed my weight loss goal, but last time I worked at losing weight I tended to experience plateaus every 5 pounds or so, so we will see what happens.
-Lower carb, higher protein and fat has been successful. Carbs are like a god damned drug though, I swear, so it took a weening off period.
-Chip subgoal has been a success.
-Beer sub goal has also mostly a success, close enough that it likely doesn't matter
-Logging with MFP has also been successful, and I am solidly in the routine of logging and am generally at or under my goals.
-Exercise has been a total failure mostly due to time constraints (exams, starting back at work, traveling, family, etc.) and is looking like it will stay that way until June.

My overarching goal is to have routines established by the end of this challenge that will set me up for following through and meeting my goals throughout the next quarterly challenge.

Great reading everyone's updates, and good luck and determination to you all!

Well, the bike trip doesn't look like it will happen. Schedules probably won't align.

I have had a few good weeks in the gym making small but steady gains.

I also have been supporting my wife by doing Whole30 with her. 30 days with no sugar, legumes, grains or alcohol. It really seems to be helping her. As for me, I'm tolerating it so far. My weight's come down a couple pounds in the first 10 days and I'm (mostly) sleeping better. It's easier when we can both moan about it to each other :001_smile

I've been crazy busy with the end of the semester and the fact that I decided to take a quick maymester summer class. I've dropped about 8.5-9 lbs so far, and have been sitting between 297 and 299 this week.

I haven't been perfect about the food goals and the workout goals, but merely being aware of weight and calories again has led to many pounds being shed. I went out for a 2-mile 1:1 walk/run with the wife and the dog last night. The dog is a Scottie (stubby legs) and is a touch overweight, so he was exhausted after 1.5 miles. He got some great sleep last night, as did I! This morning, we got out and did a walk of about 1.5 miles. For me, it's all about finding a way to get active since I'm going to be sitting in a classroom for 6+ hours a day for the next week.

I've cut the eating out down to rare occasion. Previously, I was eating out 4-6 times a week. Now, it's 0-1. I'm not perfect about only getting fish, but I find myself making consciously better decisions about what and how much I order.

I'm hoping it all comes together in the next week or so and that I drop to 290 or below by Memorial Day. Once that happens, I think it'll be good momentum to hit 280 by June 21.

Last edited:
Sorry guys i haven't been in here much to give encouragement. But i got my fitbit going... And the other day had a nice 20,000+ step day! I'm shooting for ten everyday, but have a goal to do a 25,000 day soon.
Keep going guys!

So, just checking in with everyone. How's it going so far?

I'm in the last couple days of doing Whole 30 with my wife. Pretty strict "paleo" diet. I've also been doing a weekly 24 hour fast. Between the two, I've dropped by 9 pounds over the 30 days. The paleo restrictions loosen a little on Wednesday, so we'll see what happens then.

I've toodled around on my bicycle a bit - doing grocery shopping and errands a few times over the month. But no longer bike rides yet this season. Maybe that will happen in June.

How am I doing? Not good. The end of the semester, work, and family took it's toll on my diet and exercise plan. I didn't gain any weight but I did loose a good amount of strength. I'm confident that I can get most of the strength back in 6 weeks or less.

Haven't checked in for a bit. I pulled a back muscle doing deadlifts a couple of weeks ago and yesterday was my first day back to the weights, today was my first day back to deadlifts. It was great, I am much more focused on form now and have learned a little patience. If I feel like I can lift one more rep but not without compromising form than I'm done.
Kept the diet in line mostly, drank a little more beer than normal. Still losing weight, down about 13-14 lbs. That's over a 9 week period, slow and steady.

Haven't done as good as I wanted to so far this challenge, but thankfully haven't gained back the previously lost pounds.

Renewed my gym efforts, so should start seeing results again in the next few weeks :thumbsup:

Rocky road for me down 12.7lbs from January made good progress the last week or so. I need to add in some weights to my routine instead of just running. Yesterday I hiked in NH, bagged Mt. Hancock and South Handcock, 9.8 miles. Was pretty impressed with my speed but I am very sore today. LOL

Counting calories and running 2-3x's a week seems best. Just gotta keep away from the snacks.

-Stephen

Finished up the Whole 30 program. The sneaky thing is that when you turn the page to "what to do next" in the Whole 30 book it really just says - Keep Going. We're mostly staying on the same eating pattern except we're allowing ourselves a glass of wine on our garden swing in the evening.

My wife is helping to open a new Pilates style studio. I went in as a guinea pig for one of her practice classes. Man, that was hard. I made it through with only a couple pauses, but I was impressed with how challenging that stuff can be. It's been four days and I'm still feeling it in the core area that I don't work as much.

Also got out for my first longer bike ride. I'm pleased to announce that only two types passed me - everyone and everything :lol:

Top Bottom