What's new

Williams Mug

Wondering if anyone has had good experience with this brand. I found it dirt cheap on Amazon (~ $1.50 per bar). I looked at some YouTube videos of folks using it and looks like it produces a heckuva lather. Thoughts?

This is much discussed and a quite polarizing soap.
In a nut shell, some love it, some like it, some don't like it and some hate it.
The general consensus is that it can be difficult to lather especially for new shavers.
It's cheap enough to give it a try!

Just search for Williams soap here. You will find volumes of information on it.

Wondering if anyone has had good experience with this brand. I found it dirt cheap on Amazon (~ $1.50 per bar). I looked at some YouTube videos of folks using it and looks like it produces a heckuva lather. Thoughts?

Use it daily. Great soap.

It is a great soap. Go on over to the clubs and brotherhoods and join all of the other WISE men in the Williams Institute of Shaving Excellence.
Enjoy your adventure!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you can find the vintage stuff you are in heaven. The modern stuff is kind of purgatory.

IMO Van Der Hagen is better.

Good performer but it gets limited use with me finding Haslinger. It's a dime a dozen where I live and I do have the occasional urge to use it, great slickness average cushion, And I love the citronella scent. Once you learn to lather the soap, It would make a fine everyday driver. But you know what they say, variety is the spice of life.

Give it a whirl. You may love it, you may hate it. It's cheap enough that if you hate it, it's not a total flop. Check out the WISE thread in the clubs and brotherhoods forum for tons of tips on getting it to lather.

I think it's fine. I can get it for .99 at my local grocery store, and I think it works pretty well. Good slickness, not as tough to lather as folks make it seem, but I did have trouble at first. The scent is nice, and doesn't linger so you can use a good scented AS or cologne with no trouble. I say give it a shot. It's been treating me pretty well so I've been using it exclusively lately.

Give it a try, your first lather or two probably will be hugely disappointing but once you dial it in you will find it too be a decent soap and many find it to be one of the slickest on the market. Some tips that seem to be pretty universal for those struggling with it:

1) Give the puck a long initial soap in hot water to help dissolve it a bit, especially if you have harder water.
2) Soak your brush with the puck in a mug or bowl
3) Lather it like you hate it, you will get a lot of light, fluffy foam but ignore this and just load until you find it hard to move the brush across the puck
4) Face lather (I also find palm lathering good)
5) use painting strokes to bring the lather together and thicken it

Here is a video that [MENTION=29515]TheVez2[/MENTION] has done a video you can see here:

And there is another useful one here, but I'm not sure who this person is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRlz0NaCUcU

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the only soap that I can walk into a store buy (Northern California is a wet shaving dead zone). I find that the soap lathers well, for me, and provides good slickness. The scent is unspectacular.

Give it a try, your first lather or two probably will be hugely disappointing but once you dial it in you will find it too be a decent soap and many find it to be one of the slickest on the market. Some tips that seem to be pretty universal for those struggling with it:

1) Give the puck a long initial soap in hot water to help dissolve it a bit, especially if you have harder water.
2) Soak your brush with the puck in a mug or bowl
3) Lather it like you hate it, you will get a lot of light, fluffy foam but ignore this and just load until you find it hard to move the brush across the puck
4) Face lather (I also find palm lathering good)
5) use painting strokes to bring the lather together and thicken it

Here is a video that [MENTION=29515]TheVez2[/MENTION] has done a video you can see here:

And there is another useful one here, but I'm not sure who this person is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRlz0NaCUcU

I have been using TheVez method, but tried the method in the second video this morning, minus the glycerine. I'm impressed and surprised at how well it worked with such a short load.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom