What's new

March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month at B&B - Check Your 6!

This test is so routine at this point that there is not reason on God's green earth not to do it. I've told this before, but will give the nutshell version. My father died of colon cancer in 1991 at age 55. His mom died of it in 1943 at age 39. His aunt (mom's sister) died of it at age 47 in 1949. I had my first at age 30 and was clean as a whistle. I then put off my next for 12 years, and they found 4 polyps, all precancerous. One was 2.5 cm. I dodged a bullet. When I went back 2 years later in 2014, they found 2 more, both very small. As a result, I'm on the 3 year plan.

I was dealt a bad hand when it came to the genetics of colon cancer. Thing is, even if you get the genetic whammy, you can catch these things early. Colon cancer is totally preventable. All it takes is a willingness to swallow some pride, spend some time in the can the night before and get it done. Most guys are finished in a half hour or less. Oh, and the sedative for the procedure is fantastic. Trust me, colonoscopies are a heck of a lot more pleasant than vasectomies.

bob, I have to agree about the sedative. Best hour sleep I ever had. Felt like I was out for a day and when the fog lifted I was relaxed to the max.

Good luck on your continuing health. Eternal vigilance!

Colon cancer is one of the most preventable and treatable cancers if found in its early stages. Please take a small part of your time and get checked if you are due. Thank you to everyone who's posted and shared here - we are lucky to have so many wonderful people on this forum who are here to help and support others.

As a stage 4 cancer patient myself, I see first hand, everyday the ravages of cancer. I understand no one want's to talk about cancer and that any conversation about it is always uncomfortable, but the conversation must be had and you must use any means possible to understand your health and any risks to it.

So please, make the call, set the appointment, ask questions, be proactive, and be as well as you can be.

Everyone wear their Blue today?? Me blue shirt, blue socks, blue slacks and even a blue watch - Check- 6! Get it done, its easy, and could save your life!

I've got my colon and stomach check up scheduled for 30 March, earliest I could get in. I'm embarrassed to say this is the first time I've ever done these checks... which is pretty dumb considering that both parents died of multiple forms of rampant cancers.
Thanks to you guys, I've learned about more than keeping my good looks looking good.
What can I say.. sometimes ya hafta hit a mule on the head witha 2x4 to get his attention.

I'm thinking of getting one because my coworkers' brother in law just died a couple months ago. He had colon cancer and was 40 years old with 5 kids. Very sad.

I had my third exam last year. Thankfully it was all clear. Next one in nine years. This is one exam that is so easy and so worth your time to do.

I'm thinking of getting one because my coworkers' brother in law just died a couple months ago. He had colon cancer and was 40 years old with 5 kids. Very sad.

Those are the worst. If you have any family history of colon cancer, the docs will often screen earlier than the recommended 50 year old's screening. [MENTION=29120]mdevine[/MENTION] will have more info on that.

One more thing, this is very important to me, so anyone posting in this thread before 12:01 am on April 1, 2016 will be eligible to win a $100 gift card to the B&B vendor of your choosing. I will do this using a random drawing. The only catch is that you talk about the importance of screening with a spouse, parent or adult child, badger's honor. Share the information! I'm lucky to know, and my kids are as at risk for it as I am, and I will make sure they know so that they can prevent it too.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I have had this check before , and I passed. I was clean .

Right now I am holding an envelope which I will send back to the VA hospital. If I come up clean again, do I get a 'check 6' thing?

Is this test supposed to be done every ten years? Why not every 2 or 5 years?
Whatever your Dr says. It probably depends on family history and levels of certain things in your blood and stool.

Obviously more technical terms and explanation, but your Doctor should know best.

My maternal Grandmother died of colon cancer when my mother was 12 years old. She was then passed around by her sisters to raise until she was married at 16 yrs of age. I was first checked at age 50 and polyps were removed. I have been checked every 5 yrs since then the last time being last month. Every time I have gone in they have removed polyps. I believe that if I did not get checked my wife and children would have suffered much emotional and financial hardship. Please do it for your family, you will only suffer for a short while but they will suffer for the rest of their lives.

Thanks Mike for keeping this in the forefront of our thoughts. As so many men have posted already- this is so easy to have done, yet save so many lives.

:thumbup1:

Those are the worst. If you have any family history of colon cancer, the docs will often screen earlier than the recommended 50 year old's screening. @mdevine will have more info on that.

The standard of care is to begin colonoscopies at age 50, or ten years earlier that the age that a first degree relative diagnosed colon cancer. For example, if one's father developed colon cancer at age 48, he/she would begin screening at 38.

Top Bottom