What's new

Migrating to wet shaving from electric and razor shaving

Hello friends,

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season, wishing you a great 2016.

I have been using an electric razor or disposable cartridges with canned foam for a long time.

I don't have a beard, but I do grow a stubble, so I need to shave every 2 days, if not every day. I am brown skinned East Indian.

I want to migrate to wet shaving. I am hoping that someday can give me recommendations on:

1) A good starter safety razor and blade, preferably under $50

2) A good brush, synthetic is ok

3) A good, non scented shaving soap?

I am located in Houston, TX. I would like to spend about $50-75 on this kit...and can order it online.

Please help me...

Thanks!
desidude

Last edited:
I went with an Edwin Jagger DE like many here have, my current brush is a gun cleaning brush LOL but I just bought an Escali badger brush for $10 I am starting cheap like you and working my way up. Soap is really a personal choice, some like Van Der Hagen as it is $2, I went with a $26 soap at first to see if I thought it was worth the price, turns out it was and I am now addicted and looking for a really nice silvertip badger brush. Any soap dish will work, I found an unused wooden bowl in my home and converted it to hold my Truefitt & Hill soap puck. My advice is go nice on the brush, I wish I had a good brush, the bowl doesn't matter as much and the DE blade is pretty important, don't go too sharp like feather blades at the start.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Some suggestions.

If you want to go vintage, try a Gillette Tech razor. If you go to eBay you can usually find one for around $25 plus or minus a few $. Go to any of our vendors and search for a synthetic shaving brush. There are many decent brushes including Razor Rock, Plisson, Omega, Kent, etc. That would cost another $25. Both AoS and Mama Bear make good uscented shaving soaps.

Some suggestions.

If you want to go vintage, try a Gillette Tech razor. If you go to eBay you can usually find one for around $25 plus or minus a few $. Go to any of our vendors and search for a synthetic shaving brush. There are many decent brushes including Razor Rock, Plisson, Omega, Kent, etc. That would cost another $25. Both AoS and Mama Bear make good uscented shaving soaps.
Listen to this guy, he knows what's up!

I also like Gillette Superspeed razors in the vintage realm and the Merkur 34C for a nice modern starter.

Some suggestions.

Listen to this guy, he knows what's up!

I also like Gillette Superspeed razors in the vintage realm and the Merkur 34C for a nice modern starter.
That he does

Thank you friends, I really appreciate your warm welcome. I am debating between the Edwin Jagger DE and the Merkur DE 34C for a starter safety razor, any suggestions between these, if no others?

Also, I think the Merkur DE 34C does not come with blades, so any suggestions on which blades to start off with please?

Any other thoughts on unscented shaving soaps? I am looking into Mama Bear for now.

Thank you very much,
desidude

Top Bottom