What's new

Soap Suggestions for Newbie?

Hello all, I've just begun this wonderful adventure of wet shaving. I purchased myself a nice Merkur 34C, some Personna blades and a Parker Pure Badger. Here are soaps I have thus far tried out

WSP Rustic Soap - Mahogany
WSP Formula T - Ol Kentucky (really enjoy this one)
Tabac Original
Stirling's Ozark
Stirling's Coniferous

As you can tell I'm really a fan of woodsy, outdoor, fresh scents. So suggest away!!

I tried the WSP Formula T in Barbershop the other day and consider it one of the best. Can you describe the Ol' Kentucky? As far as other soaps go, try PannaCrema San Francesco. It's kind of like a sandalwood scent but more complex. I also suggest Strop Shoppe. And by the way...Welcome to B&B!

You may want to take a look at Mike's Natural Soaps. He offers many shave soaps with pine, cedar and other outdoorsy scents.

Everyone needs to at least try Arko, Cella, Prorasso, MWF and probably Tabac soaps. Not saying they are the best, just the standards.

Razorock XXX. Easy to lather, slick and fairly inexpensive.

P.160 if you like more cushion but smell might put you off if you don't like sweet almond like smell. To me, it's not the best scent in the world but it doesn't really bother me.

Soap Commander, Courage is what I have. Good amount of soap for the money, nice and slick and post shave feel is pretty good even if there is no tallow.

Honorable mention: Arko, Proraso and La Toja. Great price and good performance. No reason not to have those in your den specially Arko.

Last edited:
I tried the WSP Formula T in Barbershop the other day and consider it one of the best. Can you describe the Ol' Kentucky? As far as other soaps go, try PannaCrema San Francesco. It's kind of like a sandalwood scent but more complex. I also suggest Strop Shoppe. And by the way...Welcome to B&B!

Formula T, for me, seems to lather a little easier than the rustic shaving soap, although both are quite easy in the scope of things. Ol' Kentucky has hints of bourbon which, being from Kentucky, I really love. Of course their are notes of oak in their as well as if you're sniffing a bourbon barrel. It's a very clean, masculine sent to me and definitely one that I'll come back to again and again, I'd probably even use it as a daily shaver honestly. Highly recommended.

All very easy to lather with good to excellent performance:
Woody soaps:
Proraso Red
B&M Latha Taiga
Soap Commander Passion

If you want to try different scent profiles:
Arko
Strop Shoppe Special Edition w/Tallow

I appreciate all your soaps you mentioned especially Stirling that are to me really nice.
HOwever life is empty without a bit of Italy :)

Proraso, Cella as first. Then Saponificio Varesino

Then you should specify also you budget because there are so many and so good...
Captains Choice, Tiki, Barrister and Mann, just to name few.

Pretty much anything other than col conk. Pick a few creams and a few soaps that have been recommended if you are inclined. Also, samples are always a good idea to try different products. Good luck and as always YMMV.

I just used this today for the first time and I will also suggest Catie's bubbles. Tried it the first time today and I was blown away.

Top Bottom