What's new

February Mess Hall Group Cookout - Theme: Mac & Cheese

Connie's picture reminded me that I also crushed some mustard seed when adjusting the seasoning.

Connie, how'd it come out using uncooked pasta? I'm always afraid to try dumpster dinner.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Connie's picture reminded me that I also crushed some mustard seed when adjusting the seasoning.

Connie, how'd it come out using uncooked pasta? I'm always afraid to try dumpster dinner.

proxy.php

It had great flavor and the pasta texture was fine, but the cheese was a less gooey than I like.

I also made a Mac & Cheese in individual servings using a traditional béchamel sauce. It still wasn't as gooey as I would really like, but it also had great flavor.

$Mac & Cheese Baked.jpg

Intrigued

No thickener. No goo. No?

The cottage cheese blended with the milk was the thickener, similar to the béchamel sauce in the other recipe. The trouble was both recipes were less gooey than I prefer. I think it has more to do with getting enough moisture into the mix to not dry out during baking.

Intrigued

Scarier even then black pasta...

Blue Cheese and Brussel Sprouts

Shropshire Blue http://www.britishcheese.com/shropshireblue

Panko, Parmesan, Paprika & Black Pepper

proxy.php
dave

I see nothing scary there. The cheese looks amazing.

Yes, it does! :w00t:

Did the noodles soak up all the moisture? Maybe cook them a bit first.

I was thinking I might just add more milk to the recipe (keeping in mind that the second recipe with the béchamel sauce and cooked pasta was also on the dry side).

Thanks everyone!

The cheese melted up perfectly and resulted in a nice gooey, oozy sauce the way i prefer. That said as well as it performed and as good as it tasted it overpowered the other flavours. If i make it again i'll cut it with half gouda.

The recipe's from a book called "Melt, The Art of Macaroni and Cheese", (also the black pasta's in there.) Each recipe calls for a different brand specific cheese, some offer up alternatives. The specified blue was Shaft's Blue, made in California, saw little chance of tracking it down here so went with the Shropshire which i would defintely get again. How close/strong relative to the Shaft's Blue, no idea.

All in all the basic baked pasta.

Partially cook 1/2lb Penne

Bacon crisped up in pan, removed to paper towel (recipe called for guanciale or bacon)
Cup of cleaned and quartered Brussel Sprouts browned in the bacon fat.

The roux was 3T unsalted butter with 1T unbleached hard flour, stir in 1cup warmed milk, thicken up.
Add 1/2lb crumbled blue to the white sauce, stir 'til melted.

Butter/oil 8x8" baking dish (or whatever size in the cupboard is close)

Fold together the sprouts, bacon, penne and cheese sauce in the dish, top with bread crumbs, parmesan and spices herbs of your choice..

Into a 350°F oven for 20-25min, remove from oven and rest for 5min, dig in!

We found the salt of the cheese and bacon sufficient, was no need to add more.

The book's due at the library tomorrow so back it goes, a lot of options in it to explore!

http://www.thekitchn.com/melt-by-stephanie-stiavetti-amp-garrett-mccord-new-cookbook-198064

Thanks again!
dave

Sorry was doing too much at once to get the step by step pictures. But here is the finished product along with some mahi-mahi on a bed of spinach. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455240284.135849.jpg

As you can tell from the fork I almost forget to take this photo. I built a béchamel sauce base with onions in it and then added the milk, sharp and mild cheddars, and some Gruyere. Tasted fantastic especially as I have been dieting for awhile now and haven't been eating much calorically dense and rich foods. It is worth it as I have lost 16 pounds with a goal to lose 8 more.

Top Bottom