What's new

BOTD - Beer Of The Day - 2016

Biked over to Ft. Myers Brewing Company for their Summerfest. Started with their Key Lime Pale Ale as it was a hot ride. Pictured is their Belgian Pale, which doesn't sacrifice any of that farmhouse funk. The place was hopping and the food truck fare was really incredible - good and cheap. I had some great Mahi tacos with guac and pico de gallo.

I had a Samuel Adams Summer Ale on tap with lunch today. Kind of a hazy golden hue, a fair amount of carbonation, and a nice hoppy aftertaste for a short while. Nothing to write home about, but its a very pleasant, easy drinking, summer brew.

Couple of notes from yesterday.

Surly #Merica: a "Pre-prohibition Lager" that is what you would expect. Light colored, brewed with Flaked Corn, truly an "American" style beer. Nothing wrong with it, very drinkable on a hot summer day. Definitely more character than the mass produced stuff, but at least to me, an oddity from Surly.

New Glarus Bubbler: a Hefeweizen from Wisconsin's most popular (?) microbrewer. Picked it up on Saturday, had two on Saturday, very good. All of the hallmarks of a classic Hefe ... banana, clove, bready ... big creamy head on it. Had two more yesterday with dinner, and this time I added a wedge of lemon. WOW ... just an amazing beer on a hot summer day. This might be my summer-long summer brew. Just a fantastic offering and really, better than I expected.

Ballast Point Sculpin with Grapefruit. I liked it. Sometimes fruit beers can come off a little "fake" tasting, but this one seems to work well.

New Glarus Bubbler: a Hefeweizen from Wisconsin's most popular (?) microbrewer.

Thanks for the heads up. Gotta get over the river and pick some New Glarus up. Fat Squirrel was a nut brown ale I tried from them and it was pretty tasty. Spotted Cow has a pretty good following with some of my coworkers.

Don

Thanks for the heads up. Gotta get over the river and pick some New Glarus up. Fat Squirrel was a nut brown ale I tried from them and it was pretty tasty. Spotted Cow has a pretty good following with some of my coworkers.

Don

Sure thing ... I didn't realize, but their Wheat Man was a Hefe too. I didn't think that one was anything special.

Ballast Point Sculpin with Grapefruit. I liked it. Sometimes fruit beers can come off a little "fake" tasting, but this one seems to work well.

That was a good one. That's why I didn't hesitate when I saw this one on the shelf... Also a good one.

proxy.php

Troegs Nimble Giant

Clocking in at 69 IBUs it's quite hoppy but it's not overtly bitter. 9% ABV but it doesn't taste it at all.

Sister picked me up some Founders in KC! First up Founder's porter, nice classic porter with a slight coffee taste. Nice change from the semi sweet chocolaty porters I've been getting, not very thick mouth feel.

Next up Dirty Bastard scotch ale. Haven't had a scotch ale in a while but they can be very good.

Liking the scotch ale as well. They're both good but I don't think I'd make a trip to get more. If I'm in the area sure. I can get Odell's Cutthroat porter and Great Divide Claymore scotch ale down the street that are similar and plenty good IMO.

Top Bottom