What's new

Better shave after letting hair grow a few day?

One of the first suggestions a new wet shaver with razor burn will get is to skip a day. It's good advice for a reason, it allows time for recuperation - which is decidedly not a psychological effect :) For those with sensitive skin, skipping a day or two between shaves can provide a nice respite. I generally shave every other day, and occasionally skip two days in a row.

I've always felt like I got a better shave after I skipped a day or two. I think it may be a combination of factors: objectively, my skin had more time to heal, and subjectively, the contrast between before and after the shave was greater than if it were a daily shave. But I do have to be more careful to make sure I don't miss any patches of stubble.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I've always felt like I got a better shave after I skipped a day or two. I think it may be a combination of factors: objectively, my skin had more time to heal, and subjectively, the contrast between before and after the shave was greater than if it were a daily shave. But I do have to be more careful to make sure I don't miss any patches of stubble.
I think that some of it could be psychological The before and after is so much greater .

for me its not about the hair, its about my face skin. taking a day off lets it recover so I only shave every other day.

The shave itself is about the same comfort-wise. But the results after a few days' growth are better for me. Pretty simple, the hair is being cut at a thinner section after letting the previously cut section of stubble grow out.

For me, If I shave every day I get a razor burn and as I've aged (I'm 65) my beard does not seem to grow as quickly as before. So I shave every two or three days and this seems to work, I agree second pass is no different whether 1, 2 or 3 day hiatus.

When I shave daily, which is often, I skip with the grain. There isn't enough hair long enough to cut with the grain, and starting across the grain saves me a pass and reduces irritation.
One day I go ear to nose, then nose to ear. The next, ear to nose, then against the grain.
Maybe it's worth a shot for some of you. I know 3 passes daily leaves me with a raw neck, and severe burn around my mouth.

Definitely, for me. Hard to tell now that I'm using a straight, so my shaves aren't super consistent right now anyways. However, with a DE that's definitely the case. Best shaves I've gotten have been knocking of 3-4 days worth of growth with a Merkur slant.

I don't really get any good shaves since I'm really new to both traditional shaving and straight razors, but if I wait two days I've found that it's a really nice feeling to the first wtg. It almost feels like when you comb your beard, that weird, but nice feeling I thought only a beard combing could give you, apparently a straight razor shave does it as well. I guess it's the longer beard that does it because it's not the same on a back to back shave.

I wonder if it's not so much a better shave if you wait a few days, but rather the oils from the whiskers that remain on your skin that make it feel like a better shave? I'm just hypothesizing of course. I typically shave every other day. I find my face feels "better" than shaving daily.

Every other day for me..... lets the skin heal a little.

I shave very very close, BBS is norm for me so 24 hrs. between is not quite enough time.

Plus my blades last twice as long.....

My skin feels better and smoother post shave if I'm taking down 2 or 3 days growth - anything longer than that is uncomfortable. Unfortunately, my job does not allow for this to happen; daily shaver here.

Top Bottom