What's new

"Build" your own DE razor

$BB_razor.jpg
I'm a great fan of Merkur 33 C especially the slim and heavily knurled handle but I did find the head slightly too utilitaristic so I replaced it with a Mühle R 89 head which is more elegant.
This head is also 2 grams heavier so the balance of my new shaver has signifantly improved.

I don't have a picture, but I took the head from a Merkur 180 "Long Handle" and paired it up with a Weber Bulldog handle. My thought was it would be similar to a Merkur 34C, with a little more weight. I have two shaves done using it with a Gillette 7 o'clock black (the stainless steel with platinum coating) and have found it to be, so far, a great shaver.

I "Built" a EuroRazor:
Cap - Germany (Merkur)
Blade Guard - Italy (Muhle R89 by FaTip)
Handle - Spain (UFO)
Blade - England (Wilkinson Super Sword)
$Frankenrazor.JPG

Thick cap Old head/Ericsson handle. Was purely an aesthetic choice, but they make a great pair.
proxy.php

And I don't have a pic yet, but likely a LC head with the BBNY barber pole.

attachment.php

Attachments

• $Old Ericsson Handle.JPG
    $Old Ericsson Handle.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 291
Edwin Jagger DE89 head with Weber Bulldog handle for me. That handle is awesome and totally transformed the shaving experience after switching from the original EJ Barley handle.

New LC head on my homemade brass handle. I've since plated them (badly) but I have an appointment with Razorplate to let a professional do it properly.

Attachments

• $IMG_4972.JPG
    $IMG_4972.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 182
I like aggressive razors. My favorites are Sabi/Mariner/Matador base plate, R41 top cap and Rockwell #6 plate, R41 top cap. I use a Weber Classic handle with the Sabi and with the heavy Rockwell the lighter handle from a Lawrence 27C.

Both these set ups have a blade gap that makes an R41 feel like a Tech.

Top Bottom