What's new

A Frankenblend success story.

A little background to set the scene. I smoked Balkan Sobranie back in the 70's. After many decades of not smoking a pipe, I began again two years ago, mostly to hang out with a bunch of cigar smoking fellows that I had gotten to know. Along the way I tried a bulk blend called Margate which I liked quite a bit. I don't know if this is the Esoterica Margate or just shares the name. I finished that two ounce bag and bought Peterson's Dublin which I also liked. Next up for my balkan fix was a tin of Balkan Sasieni. This one really hit a home run with me. Having finished the tin I next purchased a tin of a highly touted blend from H&H called White Knight. This is supposed to be evocative of the old Balkan Sobranie which I so loved. Several bowls in several different pipes left me wondering if I accurately remembered my old favorite. The White Knight seemed weak in Latakia, and somehow steamy rather than smoky. So I broke open a tin of Dunhill Nightcap which I had on hand but had never before tried. This was also not to my liking though for different reasons.

Now, faced with two tins of tobacco neither of which were to my liking, I did the obvious thing. I mixed them together. After a bit of experimentation I settled upon the ratio of 60% White Knight to 40 % Nightcap.

Is this the replacement for the old Balkan Sobranie of memory? No. But it is better than either one of the component blends separately. In fact, it's good! I get the pronounced Virginia of the White Knight but with the strength of Latakia of the Nightcap. It's a whole lot better than throwing out twenty bucks worth of tobacco because I didn't like them.

In the future, once this frankenblend is finished. I'll stock up on Balken Sasieni. It's cheaper than many other tinned tobaccos, and It's just right for me.

I know someone who does something similar. Any tobacco he doesn't like gets dumped into his "house blend" jar. I have yet to taste it, but he claims it's quite good and smokeable.

Top Bottom