What's new

Deep Frying a Turkey

I am always amazed at these videos and then I fried my own turkey and guess what? It was about as difficult as frying anything else. Been frying turkeys for about 15 years now and never so much as a hiccup.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I know this is a Gummint rule, but...aren't sprinklers supposed to be over what they are sprinkling? :blink:
They spray up. The most likely place for a fire on a sim is from underneath, so they got the logic half right. Now that I think about it, though, there are also sprinklers in the ceiling, but that is 30 or more feet up, so I don't see those everyday

They spray up. The most likely place for a fire on a sim is from underneath, so they got the logic half right. Now that I think about it, though, there are also sprinklers in the ceiling, but that is 30 or more feet up, so I don't see those everyday

Do they spray chemical compounds rather than water?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nobody got the bidet technology?

...wait a second, how does sprinkler systems fry a turkey?

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Do they spray chemical compounds rather than water?

A long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away...I think that in the computer rooms, that had to be air conditioned, they used halon or something like that.

But I could be wrong...I did work at a chemical plant one time and the chief safety officer said that the chemicals don't technically "smother" the fire.

Nobody got the bidet technology?

...wait a second, how does sprinkler systems fry a turkey?

Yes Aaron, I got the bidet...brought a smile to my face (oh, that doesn't sound good). :lol:

Reminded me of the scene from a Crocodile Dundee movie where he didn't know what it was.

Good safety considerations considering the upcoming holiday. But...no one has put up any methods for extinguishing a turkey fryer fire that has about 5 gallons of oil in it.

Throw several shovels full of dirt on it? Use a regular fire extinguisher?

A long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away...I think that in the computer rooms, that had to be air conditioned, they used halon or something like that.

But I could be wrong...I did work at a chemical plant one time and the chief safety officer said that the chemicals don't technically "smother" the fire.

Yes Aaron, I got the bidet...brought a smile to my face (oh, that doesn't sound good). :lol:

Reminded me of the scene from a Crocodile Dundee movie where he didn't know what it was.

Good safety considerations considering the upcoming holiday. But...no one has put up any methods for extinguishing a turkey fryer fire that has about 5 gallons of oil in it.

Throw several shovels full of dirt on it? Use a regular fire extinguisher?

I like the dirt idea. Or perhaps a Halon fire extinguisher, regular ones are messy.

Or probably the best idea is to keep it away from flammables, and then if it goes up in flames, just enjoy a good fire and break out those Thanksgiving weinies to roast, cause the turkey is shot.

Turn off the propane, protect the exposures, and let it burn until the FD gets there to manage it. The year these came out, I ran a dozen fires on Thanksgiving.

I am always amazed at these videos and then I fried my own turkey and guess what? It was about as difficult as frying anything else. Been frying turkeys for about 15 years now and never so much as a hiccup.

Been frying turkeys and other delicacies for 40+ years with no problems. This year we added a pic-nic ham to the mix. It was goood.

Last thanksgiving, more than 2 million people tried to deep-fat fry a turkey, 15 succeeded in setting their house on fire. While you are celebrating, Allstate will be standing by...

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Last thanksgiving, more than 2 million people tried to deep-fat fry a turkey, 15 succeeded in setting their house on fire. While you are celebrating, Allstate will be standing by...

The 15 are all insured with Allstate.

Actually according to the National Journal, Texas has been the idiot state for most property claims for 7 years straight years at 38. Nation wide more than $15 million in claims paid out to bone head people with very little turkey knowledge.

Last edited:
Hang on, folks are TURNING OFF the flame when inserting/removing the turkey, right? No open flame = no oil fire, right? Who in their right mind drops a 12-20 pound turkey into a pot of hot oil WITH FLAME NEARBY?

Guess some folks probably smoke while doing this as well.....

Hang on, folks are TURNING OFF the flame when inserting/removing the turkey, right? No open flame = no oil fire, right? Who in their right mind drops a 12-20 pound turkey into a pot of hot oil WITH FLAME NEARBY?

Guess some folks probably smoke while doing this as well.....

I don't turn off the flame, but I have a 12 gallon SS pot that is large enough to NEVER splatter oil over the top. I learned early on that the right tools are everything. I blame the cheap little aluminum pots that come with the dinky walmart cookers for most of the fires. Notice that my pot, with a 13 lb turkey in it is still only half full. Also notice after 3 turkeys, there's no oil splattered on the floor. 300+ turkeys in 40+ years and never a problem.

Top Bottom