What's new

New Fatip 2015 Closed Comb "gentile"

Of course ,pictures can fool you,but this plating looks really nice to me,not bad for a $35 razor...How hard would it be to fill the handle for extra weight ?

Of course ,pictures can fool you,but this plating looks really nice to me,not bad for a $35 razor...How hard would it be to fill the handle for extra weight ?

Yes, the plating is good, at least on the example I have. The other Gentile owner in this thread also reports good plating. Its not quite Muhle or EJ perfect, but it's what I would call very good.

It should be no problem to fill the handle, as the bottom has a pretty good sized opening.

Just purchased one this week waiting for it to arrive. I have been trying to find a modern razor in brass or steel that A) didn't cost a lot and B) would not cut up my face. I have the Fatip OC Piccolo, which is a bit aggressive for me. Sounds like I found the ONE!

I no longer have a Weber handle bit if I remember correctly the Weber would not fit on my Fatip Grande. It appears that they use the same cap for both the OC and CC razors so if my memory is correct it won't fit the Gentile.

I will ill have my 4th shave with the Gentile tomorrow. My last one was on Tuesday and I got overconfident with it and gave myself some irritation. I will switch to a Black Beauty blade tomorrow after the first three were with a BIC.

I've been using it with a Rubie blade and so far, so good. It's a nice razor, although the bit of play in the razor posts bugs me even though it's caused no problems.

I no longer have a Weber handle bit if I remember correctly the Weber would not fit on my Fatip Grande. It appears that they use the same cap for both the OC and CC razors so if my memory is correct it won't fit the Gentile.
My Weber bulldog handle does fit my Gentile. The threaded cap post on the Gentile is just slightly smaller in diameter than standard (a metric thing, I assume), so some "standard" handles will fit, others not. The bulldog does, albeit a bit sloppy until it's fully tightened, but it works. It's my handle of choice, as I find the stock Grande handle a bit slippery.

So I got to experience the Black Chrome Gentile this morning with an IP in it:
proxy.php

This really is "FaTip Lite" shaving, too mild for my tastes but very good nonetheless: the same sloppy blade alignment and dodgy plating and the same silky smooth shave but much more docile.

For me this shaves somewhere between a Tech and a NEW with added silkiness - if you like that kind of shave (and can take the extra seconds to align the blade) this is a very good looking and very good feeling, super smooth and handsome razor which retains all the idiosyncrasies of the open comb FaTip including the will-it-fit-my-custom-handle-or-not? feature that we all know and love but combines this with much better manners.

I have used this razor a few times now (w/ Gillette Silver Blues) and I really like it. I find it to be a unique combination of efficiency and mildness; to me at least, it seems as if one would really have to work at it to cut himself with it, but at the same time it delivers a rather close shave. It's a completely different razor, of course, but I also find it virtually impossible to cut myself with my Mühle R89 even when it's loaded with a Feather.

I have three of the Fatip open combs in various locations and none of them has any issues with blade alignment. However, this razor does, so I finally get to experience that minor inconvenience. :closedeye

Thread bump here.

I just recently aware of the Testina Gentile, and as an earlier poster noted, it looks like an older design. I picked up the razor picture below from an eBay seller in Bulgaria.

$RazorX2.jpg

It was a great little shaver, but the two-piece travel handle was much to light for the head on that thing, and I sold it in a purge. The Testina Grande sure looks like the same razor.

$RazorX1.jpg

The opportunity of picking up a new chrome plated version was too much to resist. I pulled the trigger last night. Looking forward to trying it out.

The Testina Gentile arrived today, I swapped the Feather blade I'd been using in my Fatip OC all week, and just gave her a go.

Similar to above posts, I don't understand the complaints about Fatip. The plating on mine are good, and the build (solid brass) is solid. It's not a fussy looking razor, although the box the Testina Gentile came in is a big step up. The Gentile came in a very nice presentation box, whereas the Fatips used to come packed in a box that was decidedly low-fi. The chrome plating looks fantastic, bluish metalic vs the grey/silver of the nickel plating of my OC.

$2Fatips.jpg

I like to feel the blade when I shave, with the Gentile all I could feel was the safety bar. That said, one WTG pass left very little for the ATG pass to clean up. Surprisingly effective, especially since it didn't feel like it was doing anything. Nothing close to a weeper, and I think I'd have to try pretty hard to nic myself with it.

Honestly, I'm baffled a razor that feels that smooth can be this effective.​

Mine which came yesterday is not square. The top cap and base plate when tightened are not parallel. I am trying to arrange for a replacement...

My replacement is here and it is square. Thanks to Maggards for making the replacement process almost effortless! I will try it out tomorrow morning...

Fatip razors are just such awesome shavers, great looking, and yes it takes 3-4 adjustments to align the blade. Considering price, all brass, decent looking plating, great shavers its an awesome razor, I do prefer the OC due to being more aggressive, but the CC Gentile is by no means mild, its more like medium with a tad of the aggressive side and also efficient like Grande OC. Nice thread revive :)

Yeah I was expecting to have to align the blade like my Old Types, Grande and Piccolo. I was not expecting the holes in the baseplate to be big enough that the top cap would turn when I tightened the handle.

The replacement aligned like my other two Fatip Razors and shaved very well this morning.

Piccolo is more aggressive, its the same head as the Grande but with thinner full handle brass which makes the razor 5 grams heavier than the Grande and Gentile.

Piccolo is more aggressive, its the same head as the Grande but with thinner full handle brass which makes the razor 5 grams heavier than the Grande and Gentile.
I have both as well, and the Gentile is much less aggressive. In fact, that is the whole premise of the Testina Gentile (the name means "mild head"): to be a more gentle version of the Fatip OC. The Gentile is still an efficient shaver, but it has much less blade exposure and feel than the Piccolo or Grande. It is, for me, much more comfortable than the Fatip OCs.

As the fine gents before me posted the Piccolo has much more blade feel. The Gentile is no kitten either it is not as mild as my tech or merkur 15c though. If you want efficiency and a lot of blade feel the Piccolo is your razor!

With a sharp blade and a very gentle touch the Piccolo will deliver. If I happen to be half asleep I tend to reach for the Gentile instead...

Top Bottom