What's new

Fatip Piccolo Storto and Yaqi Mellon

A while ago I purchased a slant razor which gave me some issues. It was a German 37 C and I had some extremely rough shaves with it before realizing that the blade needed to be manually aligned and the design of the head was rather imprecise. I returned it and gave up on slants. Recently, however, I purchased a chrome Yaqi Mellon and a separate stainless steel handle for a very low price. The engineering of the Mellon is very precise and the razor is very comfortable. Despite a significant amount of blade-feel and tactile and auditory feedback, I would characterize it as a mild and efficient shaver. I never imagined that an open comb design could be this comfortable and easy to use.

The experience with the Mellon led me to ordering a Fatip open comb slant from Connaught. I meant to order the fat handle version, but I guess I wound up selecting the Piccolo. What a strange and wonderful razor this is! The brass handle is heavy and the crooked head is very efficient and gentle. Whereas the Mellon provides blade feel and auditory feedback, the Storto has none. The only issue with the Fatip is that I do have to maintain a light touch on upstrokes. Both are uniquely wonderful.

I have been using the same Wizamet blade in these two razors for several weeks. Today, I switched to a Gillette Red Tip and the shave was rougher by comparison. I was not able to achieve a BBS shave in two passes as I have been doing with the open combs. I believe that the modern razors that have been designed and manufactured with the latest techniques have surpassed the iconic DE razors of the past. The head of the Mellon is so precisely engineered that the blade is automatically locked into a perfect alignment. The blade alignment in the Fatip Slant may have a tiny amount of play, but I have never had to adjust it manually. Considering the irregular shape of the head, that's pretty amazing.

In any case, if you are at the point where you are a bit bored with your closed comb razor, I would highly recommend either of these modern wonders.

I have also had a good experience with a Mellon and FOCS. The teeth on the Mellon are not that comfortable, but the shaves are fine enough. The FOCS is a whole nother matter. Excellent, but I am still working on the technique.

Reading some old threads about the Gillette New, it seems that the industry moved away from open combs due to the popularity at the time of brushless creams. There was a quote in a document someone posted that stated the brushless creams at the time clogged the open combs. Seemingly this was a significant issue. The next generation Gillette razors increased the lather channels which the more common long comb News had. This along with the solid bar became the standard going forward. The lather channels means the blade clamping happens further up the blade. This decreased blade rigidity. Was this a misstep?

The Short Comb New seems to have been the last Gillette that really clamped down on the blade close to the edge while also allowing for direct contact with the blade. It is highly regarded by many and the Mellon and FOCS have some similarity with it in this manner. I bought a couple SC News, but will not have access to them until a later date. My FOCS will have to do until then.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I have the FOCS. I also have a few other slants but the FOCS is my favorite. It always gives me a smooth shave even with some of sharper blades loaded in it. I used to have the Mellon head although it was the Zamac version. A nice mild shaving razor but I didn't use it that much. In the end I PIF so that someone else could hopefully enjoy it. I may pick up a SS Mellon head in the future but at the moment I've more than enough razors to keep me occupied.

I have the FCCS. I will also say it gives me a very comfortable and smooth shave but like with all DE's, blade choice is of the utmost importance. At first I tried using a blade with mediocre sharpness to be cautious and it was not a fun shave and I was almost ready to give up on a slant. But then I tried a sharper Nacet, which transformed my experience and now I almost exclusively use the FCCS.

I am surprised that slants are a niche razor and not very popular. There is definitely sound theory for their working and not a gimmick. The French knew about the utility of a slant blade demonstrated by their guillotine. A gentler more efficient slicing action versus chopping. So when people ask "what is the next step up" or "what is a more efficient razor", my first thought is a slant. I am becoming a slant cheerleader.

I also own the Yaqi Mellon, very smooth yet still efficient shaver for me.

The only slant i own is the Razorock German 37, works well, efficiently and smoothly when i use a sharp blade but not when the blade becomes less sharp. I also have to correct the alignment of the blade in this slant razor, quite easy to do.

I almost only shave AGT (1 ATG pass with touch ups or sometimes 2 ATG passes).

My slants are an Above the Tie S1 and an FOCS. Totally different experiences, but each gives me a BBS shave smoothly and efficiently, if I use a sharp blade that’s reasonably fresh (no more than about 6 shaves). I’ve had other slants, but these two are my keepers.

I haven't tried a FOCS. I was always happy enough with the regular Fatip OC head that when they released the slant it didn't really push my buttons. Love those twisty handles though! The Mellon is solid. A great shaver! :thumbup:

Interested that you had trouble with the German 37. I found the best approach was to just pop the blade in and let it land where it wants to land. It's an efficient razor for sure, but paired with a GSB I found it smooth. It was my razor of choice when my RSI was so bad I basically needed something that would shave by itself.

Last edited:

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I also have a German slant. I find any blade works well in it. I have a Parker semi slant for that I find only GSBs work well for me. My Yaqi Double Open comb Slant accepts any blade for me plus I find it really smooth but very efficient.

I haven't tried a FOCS. I was always happy enough with the regular Fatip OC head that when they released the slant it didn't really push my buttons. Love those twisty handles though! The Mellon is solid. A great shaver! :thumbup:

Interested that you had trouble with the German 37. I found the best approach was to just pop the blade in and let it land where it wants to land. It's an efficient razor for sure, but paired with a GSB I found it smooth. It was my razor of choice when my RSI was so bad I basically needed something that would shave by itself.
It could have been an issue with that particular razor. Once the blade was positioned in the guide, I could grab a corner and rotate it several degrees. I have had great experiences with everything else Razorock makes.

Shaved today with a Mellon on a Baili 176 handle, FOCS and low end Franken-Tech. The Tech was put down immediately and the Mellon won the day. Focused on chocking down WTG (riding the guard), holding the balance point XTG (neutral) and chocking up ATG (riding the cap). FOCS will need a few more weekend shaves to dial in the technique.

Shaved today with a Mellon on a Baili 176 handle, FOCS and low end Franken-Tech. The Tech was put down immediately and the Mellon won the day. Focused on chocking down WTG (riding the guard), holding the balance point XTG (neutral) and chocking up ATG (riding the cap). FOCS will need a few more weekend shaves to dial in the technique.
The handle that I have paired with the Mellon is a stainless steel Lemonwald handle. It is kind of squat and heavy and matches the Mellon very well. I think that these are copies of the bulldog handles. Some of the Yaqi handles are more intricate and beautiful, but the quality of the $7 Lemonwald handle is shockingly good. I agree that the Mellon is superior to the Tech.

The handle that I have paired with the Mellon is a stainless steel Lemonwald handle. It is kind of squat and heavy and matches the Mellon very well. I think that these are copies of the bulldog handles. Some of the Yaqi handles are more intricate and beautiful, but the quality of the $7 Lemonwald handle is shockingly good. I agree that the Mellon is superior to the Tech.
I can definately feel the teeth of the Mellon. But now that I know it is the teeth and not the blade, it makes me confident in the product. Actually, it makes me want to try the PAA DOC, but that will have to be another day.

I can definately feel the teeth of the Mellon. But now that I know it is the teeth and not the blade, it makes me confident in the product. Actually, it makes me want to try the PAA DOC, but that will have to be another day.
I can feel and hear the blade, but it is still a gentle shaver. The Fatip OC Slant, on the other hand, has no blade feel or auditory feedback. It’s also a good one to consider.

I have no personal experience with either razor, but I have always wondered: is the PAA DOC the same as the Yaqi Mellon? In other words, it the PAA razor a rebranded Yaqi?

I have no personal experience with either razor, but I have always wondered: is the PAA DOC the same as the Yaqi Mellon? In other words, it the PAA razor a rebranded Yaqi?
I don't know, but it looks identical. If you can get the weights of the heads, that might provide some insight.

I don't know, but it looks identical. If you can get the weights of the heads, that might provide some insight.
According to AliExpress, the weight of the Yaqi head is 25 grams and the material is zinc alloy. The PAA DOC is advertised as having a weight of 20 grams and the material is also zinc alloy. If these reported weights are accurate, their is likely to be some difference between the two.

Reactions: ewk
Top Bottom