What's new

Is ACOG still King?

Just wondering what's everyone favorite scope for their AR15 rifles? ACOG seems to get high praise and have a loyal following.

What is the mission? If the majority of my shooting was 300m and in, with my eyes ( 20/60, need a bit of distance correction) I would likely get an Aimpoint for much less money. If I was doing a lot of 200m plus shooting, I could see getting some type of 1 or 1.5-4 variable for similar money to an ACOG and I would have a bit more versatility in my scope.

At under 50m, IMHO direct/vicarious experience, an Aimpoint is much faster to get hits with, to include head shots, particularly when compared to the 4 x 32. YMMV Greatly.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Dojpros hit the nail on the head. My preference is the Aimpoint T-1 (or H-1) with lower third co-witness fold down BUIS.

2 deployments to Iraq 1 to Afghanistan Never Issued ACOG Issued what looked liked Aimpoint point only made in Switzerland. Never a hiccup units with ACOG had some battery problems.

Used an ACOG TA11 model in Iraq in 2005. No issues of any kind, and would be my first choice for an AR. My second choice would be an Aimpoint, and I currently have one on my AR.

I built two AR rifles, identical except for caliber, one in 5.56 for my wife, the other in 6.5 Grendel for myself and used Aimpoint Comp M4 sights on each. This was several years ago and at the time both cost less than one ACOG and meets our purposes quite well.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Eotech XPS2-0 Holographic Weapon Sight and Eotech G33.STS 3X Magnifier sits on top of my Colt LE6920.

Works for me.

The Aimpoint Pro is excellent kit for the money.

Yes it is, the reason I chose it over the doughnut of death was battery life, it's been on for over two years and going strong.

$IMG_7966.jpg

The ACOG works fine for CQB. You just have to learn how to use it with both eyes open. It also works great out to 400 yards with the right reticule. It's not a hunting scope and a true 1-4 lit reticule might be a better choice for civilian hunters. But it is tougher than the rifle it's mounted on. You can't say that for most optics.

Have any of you guys had any experience with a Elcan Specter DR? I'd love to get my hands on one to play with one day.

Red dot and scopes choices always depend on your intended use. Will the majority of use be for self defense or will it be for longer distance target shooting or hunting? For the money, I like the Aimpoint PRO for self defense.
However, if you are looking for a tactical red dot for self defense, the Burris TRS-25 is a nice choice.
YMMV.

Steve

Top Bottom