What's new

Electric Knives: Recommendations

There are times when just sheer technique and strength won't produce the result I want when carving or tearing through large amounts of meat (mmmmm, meat). Hence, I have had a couple people suggest one or another brand of electric knife to me, in an effort to satisfy my desire.

I come to you, dear B&B fellows, many who I have seen illustrate their love for food and food accessories, in the hopes that one or many of you may offer your perspective towards this subject, and may possibly allow me to find a decent tool for my purposes. Ideally something with some versatility and sensible price range.

So, what say you all?

proxy.php

Electric knives are actually saws. If you need a saw get a saw!:biggrin:

Jay will be along in a moment!

Electric knives are actually saws. If you need a saw get a saw!:biggrin:

Jay will be along in a moment!

See I was thinking something a little more hand-held, yet even these would be a little overkill for my purposes in the kitchen/tableside:
proxy.php
proxy.php

But if it had the cutting power, I may consider it. I mean the sawzall alone at the dinner table would just be bad-***, but most likely leave me rather alienated from the kids and SWMBO.:biggrin:

I've had good luck with an inexpensive one from Black and Decekr. Was called the ERGO, I don't think they sell it any more but here's what it looked like...

proxy.php

I mainly used it as a bread knife due to my entirely inadequate technique with a manual bread knife in getting something resembling even slices. But it also is great at carving a turkey, whole hams, and other exceptionally large chucks 'o beast without spending $$$$$$$ on large slicers.

Sounds like you need more sharpness rather than an electric meat saw.

If that's the case I'd suggest getting your kitchen knife honed/sharpened.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I wouldn't recommend paying more than ten bucks for one. I have one in a drawer somewhere, sitting next to a pile of unused Henckels, Wuftofs, Sabatiers, Messermeisters, and other assorted dinosaurs.

Knives can be very task specific. The electric knife is meant to replace a knife designed for slicing, and I think you can do better with a good slicer.

Any recommendations on a good slicer?
Agreed. I'd like to know as well.
Not for nothing but my knives are done every 4-5 months with the amount they get used in our house so I'm not concerned with their sharpness. I wasn't really thinking of carving turkeys or the like, more something that could make it a little easier for dealing with larger cuts of meat I could use to make more manageable without investing in a band saw.

ouch

Recommendations and Electric Knife. Now that's an OxyMoron. Get a good Japanese slicer and then maintain the edge.

Look at this one

Tim took the words right out of my mouth. Only get the 270mm version- you'll appreciate the extra length for slicing. This knife has a great shape for carving turkey and slicing anything from smoked salmon (it's also the best knife for removing the skin from a side of salmon in one swipe) to brisket. Cuts as fast as an electric, with much cleaner slices.

I was a little brief before. There is one good use for an electric meat slicer.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...470202&cm_ite=0034110516972a&_requestid=85235

Those are actually very nice. It's a one-time investment of $100, and they produce very nice cold cuts for sammiches. Get a nice big turkey breast and grill it, then slice on that gizmo, and you have great turkey for subs or whatever you like. Same with roast beast.

But for carving a turkey? A nice sharp chef's knife is plenty.

ouch

You forgot your usual plug of the Spyderco Sharpmaker. :lol:
You're slipping.

ouch

All you need is shown below. Ask any real chef. There are a million uses for this bad boy....

proxy.php

That's a good, heavy duty knife that will last for decades, but it has soft steel, won't take or hold a very acute edge, and at $100-120, isn't a bargain. You can do much better.

Top Bottom