What's new

$4 RiMei Razor from DX Review

After reading the reviews on this thread:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/364248-New-Improved-Version-of-Ri-Mei-Sodial-Razor/

I ordered this RiMei razor from DX.com for < $4
http://www.dx.com/p/rimei-stainless-steel-double-edge-blade-razor-silver-116281

This time my order took less than a month to arrive from DX.

On inspection the first thing I thought was the razor and case looked good for the price. The razor has a solid feel at 52 grams with blade. The blade loads squarely in the head and doesn't slide around. The lower plate is visibly thinner metal than that of a Gillette Tech as you can see in the picture below.

The biggest disappointment was the visible flaw I could quickly see upon loading a blade that one of the guards was uneven. It's slightly curved on one corner, reducing the blade gap & the aggressiveness in that corner (which is tolerable). I've attached a picture below.

How'd it shave? I lathered up with Arko shave stick. I pitched the Rimei blade after trying it for a couple strokes - it was dull and tuggy. I put in a Gillette Silver Blue and found this razor was certainly more aggressive than my Gillette Tech. I found the handle knurling is more slippery when soapy compared to my Apollo stainless steel handle, but grippy enough when dry. Without using the side with the uneven guard, I did a 4 pass shave (WTG, XTG1, XTG2, ATG). I was rather surprised to get one of the best shaves ever! It goes to show how much a good blade and technique matters.

For the price of $4 I didn't expect much, and although the razor isn't flawless I'm pleased overall. I'm glad to own a 3 pc razor head that is more aggressive than my beloved Gillette Tech and will likely be using it with my Apollo handle. Hopefully I can fix the uneven guard rail with gently bending it (and not damaging the fine chrome finish!).

I'll likely order a couple more of these from DX. With the case it could make a good starter 'newbie' kit to pass on. I'll cross my fingers the next two aren't uneven on one side like this one was.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I own a remei as well I ordered it off of amazon I think it was 3 dollars but I got one without the case luckily mine had no flaws and I agree with you that it shaves very well I use it as my travel razor and it occasionally gets used into regular rotation

I ordered 3 RiMei from DX and all were without flaws. They work really well and are very inexpensive to PIF to people wanting to try what DE is all about.

I was able to carefully bend the bar back into alignment. Tried both sides this morning with good results, but used my Apollo handle instead.

I ordered 3 RiMei from DX and all were without flaws. They work really well and are very inexpensive to PIF to people wanting to try what DE is all about.

Good to hear! I think I'll give it another go ordering one from DX for a PIF razor to give to my friend.

i got one from amazon a while back, the base straightened out ok, but still didn't get it as smooth as a tech. But the handle really worked amazing on the Old type, added about the perfect amount of weight!

I ordered Rimei on aliexpress.com I did not want to get a fake. So I chose not the cheapest offer (I paid $ 6)
At first I did not like the head. It seems too light: bottom plate made of thin stamped metal. Handle is well done, but for me it is too short.

To my surprise it shaves very well.

Last time I use DE89 head with a heavy stainless steel handle. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/467404-Windrose-razor-handles?p=7694358#post7694358

I put the RiMei head on my stainless handle. I got a cleaner and smoother shave.
Now this set is my daily razor.
$rimeihead.jpg

In the flask is pre-shave oil. :blush:

Last edited:
I bought one of the $4 RIMEI's from DX a few months ago (the box says it's a RM2003). It's not a bad DE, especially for the price. It's not as mild as a tech (I prefer mild) but it's a good travel razor. I do not fly with vintage stuff. I'd imagine with light to moderate use (I don't travel as much as I used to) I should be able to use this for many years to come. A very good $4 spent.

Top Bottom