What's new

The Decline of the Sport Coat

I just picked up my third sport coat last weekend. Started wearing sport coats and blazers about 1.5 years ago.

I enjoy them, there are very comfortable, and the inside pockets are perfect (more comfortable and convenient) for the mobile phones and wallets.

People have complemented me on my jackets.

I'm 32 and a financial planner, so our defacto work uniform is a suit and tie everyday. I regularly wear a sport coat, either tweeds or wool to work and on appointments. I get bored wearing a suit and tie everyday and seeing the same thing in the office. I've bought some coats from jc penny, jos a banks, and the rest are vintage from eBay. I've been lucky and have found quite a few with slim lapels as is the fashion right now so I guess what's old is new again. I never wear blazers though I'm not a fan for myself.

I actually prefer wearing what some would describe as orphaned suit coats. To me, a slim wool jacket is much more comfortable than the standard blazer type jacket.

Good basic selection.

The navy blazer would depend on the material and how structured it is. And make sure it has metal buttons to look less like an orphaned suit jacket.

If I were going to start a collection from scratch, and I'm a real rookie at this but here goes:

- Structured wool blazer in navy (formal situations where you don't want to wear a suit)

proxy.php

- Unlined linen-cotton blend in tan or gray (Summertime and more versatile)

proxy.php

- Camel hair or cashmere in tan (Fall and Winter, fairly versatile)

proxy.php

- Heavy tweed in gray, charcoal, or Earth tone (Winter, fairly versatile)

proxy.php

- Corduroy in brown or olive (Fall and Winter, very casual)

proxy.php

- Unstructured brighter blue cotton blazer (wear with jeans and chinos, casual)

proxy.php

My favorite was a double breasted blue in a light Italian wool. It doesn't fit any more so the wife will probably order it's banishment (if she hasn't snuck it out already.)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I love Harris Tweed. Wears like iron, does not wrinkle easily, and goes with just about anything. Corduroy jackets tend to be a bit too heavy to me.

I'm a tax guy....started over 20 years ago at a (then) "Big 6 Firm". We were required to wear suit and tie (including coat). We kept a spare coat in our cube/office so people would think we were there when we actually weren't. In 1999 I moved from public to private. The only time I've worn suits since is funerals, weddings, and appeals conferences.

I recently changed jobs on September 30 at a finance company. The environment is "business casual" which includes jeans without holes. The only folks that don't wear jeans are those of us that have slacks in the closet and VPs. I've recently bought a few pairs of darker jeans and even a pair of cords. It's a sign of the times.

My understanding is the Northeast (U.S.) is more conservative as well as the South. Most business folks around here don't even wear ties anymore (unless you're a car salesman).

[MENTION=93064]Soapy Smith[/MENTION]: in the back of my mind somewhere I remember it being the big 8 accounting firms.
[MENTION=9416]Alacrity59[/MENTION]: had forgotten about Harris Tweed. I like them now but I don't think I liked them in the way back.

I have 3 sport coats that I would like to wear more often. One is a hopsack blue jacket that has blue buttons so I don't call it a blazer, a grey camel hair jacket that I thrifted that feels like it was tailored for me, and a brown corduroy jacket. I wear a uniform everyday, and I feel like I would look too formal wearing a sport coat to Target or the mall. I do wear them to church on Sundays in a sort of rotation with my suit.

I am, however, considering a career change from the military that may allow me to dress a little nicer from day to day. We'll see how that goes. I will need a few pairs of nicer shoes to go with it. It really never ends does it?

I do it all the time and get complements on it, just a matter of confidence in the coat!

+1

My wife is entertained by the looks I get from the women. The only downside is I tend to get stopped a lot more often by random salespeople trying to get me to try the next widget or support their charities

El bumpo

My raison d'être and I went Christmas shopping at Jos A Bank with a view to buying one sports coat. They had a 2 for 1 sale (don't get me started on their ludicrous pricing) and I ended up coming out with a Signature Gold sports jacket in a light brown fine houndstooth pattern AND a nice Signature Gold navy blue blazer (no sleeve buttons, pewterish front buttons). Quality of construction seems pretty good. Fabric is silk/wool on the jacket and drapes wonderfully.
Happy camper.

El bumpo

My raison d'être and I went Christmas shopping at Jos A Bank with a view to buying one sports coat. They had a 2 for 1 sale (don't get me started on their ludicrous pricing) and I ended up coming out with a Signature Gold sports jacket in a light brown fine houndstooth pattern AND a nice Signature Gold navy blue blazer (no sleeve buttons, pewterish front buttons). Quality of construction seems pretty good. Fabric is silk/wool on the jacket and drapes wonderfully.
Happy camper.

Congratulations, they sound like a pair of great jackets. I have gotten to really enjoy wearing them.

I enjoy wearing my sport coat. I only own one and I struggle to find situations to wear it. We did an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon this year and the sport coat was a lot more versatile than bringing a suit. For any real formal event I wear my suit and any event at work I have a uniform. I'll have to pretend to be more classy to get some more use out of the coat.

Top Bottom