What's new

Barbasol Confession

I must make another confession. I bought a can of the Arctic Chill today, and another can of Soothing Aloe.

As for the Arctic Chill, it had a nice cooling effect as far as creams go. For comparison, I would say it came off as "cooler" than Proraso Green from the tube. Scent wasn't really noticeable.The performance was on par with the Soothing Aloe, and the shave was good. I'll be using it again.

Last edited:
Do you find a good foam equals an good cream if applied in a certain way?

Opinions will vary, but I think it can.

In my personal experience Barbasol, mixed with a little tap water in my hands, is just as slick and protective as Proraso cream from a tube lathered with a brush. (That's what I was using before.) But mixing in that extra water is the secret. Without it, I found the cream too dry, and a little drying. But with it, I get a good result every time.

What are you using now?

I have been researching non-commercial lather warmers for canned foam or gel. Seems they are a risky bet these days. Yours looks really neat.

Does anyone have a modern lather warmer for canned foam or gel that rates high in your book?
Hi Tony! How the heck are you?! I found a Conair hot lather machine last year at a thrift store and bought it for about $3. It works just fine. I turn it on, then I brush my teeth and by the time my face is warmed up with a few hot water splashes the "go" light is on and it's ready to lather up. It's nice in the Fall and Winter months.

Hi Tony! How the heck are you?! I found a Conair hot lather machine last year at a thrift store and bought it for about $3. It works just fine. I turn it on, then I brush my teeth and by the time my face is warmed up with a few hot water splashes the "go" light is on and it's ready to lather up. It's nice in the Fall and Winter months.

I'm good. Hope you are well. Gotta love warm lather in the Fall and Winter. :001_smile

Confession: used the barbasol aloe this morning as part of my prep. Mostly because of this thread. Just rubbed a bunch into my stubble then proceeded to lather up some RR Capatains Choice. Worked rather well actually. Might do it again until the can is gone.

I know the feeling. I cant find it in Tampa.Fl and In my opinion the best scent and performance for a canned cream. Let me know what Barbasol said....Frank M.

Confession: used the barbasol aloe this morning as part of my prep. Mostly because of this thread. Just rubbed a bunch into my stubble then proceeded to lather up some RR Capatains Choice. Worked rather well actually. Might do it again until the can is gone.

$Barbasol-Lineup-stacked.jpg

"Sometimes the need to confess is overwhelming, and we must seize the moment..."

$Godfather_III_confession.jpg

I haven't used canned stuff in about 5 years, but I am quite fond of the non-aerosol Sensitive Skin in a tube. I read in a different forum that's it's very similar to the original Barbasol Brushless and had to try it.

I still have a can of the Aloe in my medicine cabinet. I used Barbasol in one form or another for better than 30 years. Once I started DE shaving and made my own lather, I found it difficult to compare the two.
First: My lather is more consistent. All aerosols that I have tried are lighter (air) in the beginning of the can and thin out as you go along. And yes, I shake the can for a good 20-30 seconds before using.
Second: Some of the more luxurious creams, (TOBS or AoS), have better slickness through the shave, and leave my skin moisturized. I do not get the same dryness afterwards that I get with aerosols.
Barbasol certainly is better than many of the other aerosols, and the fact that I used it for over 30 years, means I found it functional. It just doesn't quite hit the mark on slickness, scent or moisturizing properties to be competitive with the brush creams.
If you are accustomed to the quick 5 minute shave, however, you may not need to justify the difference.

Ocean State Job Lot in CT here has white Noxzema foam for $1.85. I'm going to pick up a can today. Back in the day it was pretty good. Probably then it was the original formula.

For those having trouble with finding the Yellow, the only B&M store I've found in the Chicagoland area is a local, smaller chain grocery store that also carries AV Ice Sport, Williams, etc. I have never seen it at any of the big box stores. If you have smaller, independent stores, that's your best bet.

In Chicagoland, I've found the yellow skin conditioner cans at Jewel/Osco. Got mine on sale for $1.39. Great stuff!

I've used the red canned Barbasol in two of my last three shaves. Actually found that it worked rather well for me. Something I might use occasionally, because I do love the old scent (used it everyday before starting wet shaving), but I still love experimenting with other soaps and creams.

Also....have you seen that WWII commercial they did? Absolutely great!

Last edited:
Top Bottom