What's new

Oktoberfest

I have been to the Oktoberfest in Munich. A most amazing spectacle. 10th of thousand well behaved totally drunk Germans. Police is everywhere. I was not able to get a seat in any of the main tents. You have to reserve in advance a minimum of eight seats. My favorite food was Steckerlfisch.

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I have been to the Oktoberfest in Munich. A most amazing spectacle. 10th of thousand well behaved totally drunk Germans. Police is everywhere. I was not able to get a seat in any of the main tents. You have to reserve in advance a minimum of eight seats. My favorite food was Steckerlfisch.

proxy.php

The place you want to get that is in the biergarten at Andechs. Oh, baby!

I'm a pastor and I've been at my current church for 10 years now. I was a German major as an undergrad, and worked in Germany for several years. When I arrived here, I introduced Oktoberfest, which we hold on a Saturday night in our church hall. I always get cases of the real Bavarian beer (sorry, no tap) drunk in München at Oktoberfest, and we serve brats, sauerkraut, and all the fixings. This year we held it on the same night Oktoberfest opened on the Wiesen, and we got in the local newspaper ahead of time, so it was very well attended. Several people - some of them strangers to me - even showed up in Lederhosen. We had a great German band, so the music and dancing were lots of fun.

When I was in college I worked in a German winery for a few months, so I love old-style Rhine wines. I always get several bottles of German wines for Oktoberfest, but most people don't like the sweetness and stick to their cabernets and pinot noirs. This year's beer was the Paulaner. I actually prefer Hofbräu (slightly higher in alcohol content), but couldn't find it this year.

A group of 6 of us (3 married couples) went to Munich for Oktoberfest last year and had an absolute blast! This year, tomorrow actually, we're all going to the Edinburgh Beer festival as our work schedules meant we couldn't make it out to Germany this year. Should be good

Top Bottom