What's new

Belts

TheShaun

Bejeweled
Where do you guys buy your belts? I'm looking for a hunk of leather. Nothing that has a vinyl or other type of layer on top that can come away. And a place with plenty of buckle options.

I've owned few belts. My best luck has been with TJ Maxx and a good thick Timberland. I wear a cellphone most times as a technician and take it off every evening and put it in every morning. This causes ALOT of wear. You just can't beat a good thick Timberland IMO.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
All my belts were made by craftsmen/women at the annual Arts Festival here. All are at least 10 years old, one is probably 20. They are all going strong

They're supposed to be replaced yearly anyway, so I just get them from Kohl's once a year for around $20. Most of the brands they carry are pretty similar. They aren't great quality, but they are real leather.

They're supposed to be replaced yearly anyway...

Really? I have had a couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds belts for the past 10 years and they look basically new. Seems pretty wasteful to just chuck a full-grain leather belt at the end of the year. Heck I even have a canvas summer belt that has lasted about 5 years.

I've been using a Shark Designs 5mm thick leather belt, hand made using double handed saddlers' stitch, virtually every day for about 15 years, and it looks as good as ever. It's had a couple of very light applications of leather conditioner. It cost quite a few £s, but was well worth it. I'm sure similar quality belts must be available in the US.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
They're supposed to be replaced yearly anyway ...

Really? I have had a couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds belts for the past 10 years and they look basically new. Seems pretty wasteful to just chuck a full-grain leather belt at the end of the year. Heck I even have a canvas summer belt that has lasted about 5 years.

I have to agree. A good belt should last years ... decades ... rather than needing to be replaced annually. Okay, yes, a cheap $20 belt that you wear every day probably will need replacing after a short while, so getting a new cheap-o every year is not a "bad idea" per se, but I've never heard or experienced anything that would suggest that all belts are supposed to be replaced yearly.

Top Bottom