What's new

Help with Merkur #39c (slant)I am not so good with it :

I've been DE shaving for a while now (over 2 years).

I started with a Merkur #34c. Back in January of this year I moved up to a Muhle R41, and it treated me real well.

In April I got the Merkur #39c Slant razor. At first I had a bit of trouble with it but soon learned my way around--I thought. But I've been becoming less and less satisfied with my shaves with it; needing more and more passes to get to where I want in terms of smoothness, nicks, irritation galore, etc.

I use personna med prep blades (after much experimenting with various blades to find what worked best).

Today I went back to the Muhlr R41 for the first time in maybe 3 months. It was glorious.

I did a 3 pass (WTG, XTG, XTG) and got a pretty damn good shave: no post-irritation (very mild stinging in maybe one spot from an alum block), very close shave, can't feel any stubble in any direction except ATG in most places (a few spots on my neck are exceptions).

All in all very pleasing. I use Astra Superior Platinum blades with it (after much experimentation to find the right blade).

Normally I do NOT get as smooth as this with the 39c unless I do more passes. And when I do more passes I get irritated...

I use generally the same technique--razor is level horizontally with the direction of pull
-
|
(going down)

Handle is as far from my face as I can keep it while still having the blade contact hairs. (Well, maybe not exactly that far, but pretty close.)

Both razors seem to glide very smoothly.

The 39c is much heavier and I think I end up pushing down with my hand more as a result (so more pressure to the face) when I use it, vs the R41 which is much lighter and it is easier to let it just glide without pressure...

Any tips for me?

It's all in the angle of the dangle. Knock the angle to about 30 degrees and it will blow you away. My 39C destroys everything in its path when teamed with an Astra Superior Stainless or Feather. Zero irritation, zero stubble, BBS every time.

I, too, was not satisfied with my Merkur slant. Yet my Razorock stealth slant was fine, if too mild. I don't think slant should change your technique. Still 30 degrees from flush with your skin. The angle built into the head should whatever it does for you. IMHO.

so if I poke it straight into my face (with the gap where the razor is right on my face), 30 degrees further from my face than that, yeah?

(Not poke the top of the razor into my face and then 30 degrees down?)

My angle is the same with both the slant & the R41, but the R41 does so much better... but I want to get the slant working too.

I had the same issues that you have, I sold the 39C and kept the R41. I have added a Fatip Piccolo, Joris and Shavecraft Tech all of which I like better than the slant. I tried both the 37C & 39C but I just had too much irritation with them.

so if I poke it straight into my face (with the gap where the razor is right on my face), 30 degrees further from my face than that, yeah?

(Not poke the top of the razor into my face and then 30 degrees down?)

My angle is the same with both the slant & the R41, but the R41 does so much better... but I want to get the slant working too.

Indeed :) You want it so that the top cap is touching your face as well as the guard bar/blade. Start horizontal then pull the handle towardyour face, in turn rotating the guard bar toward your face, using the top cap as the pivot point. It's well illustrated in the wiki article HERE.

Once you get it dialled in, I guarantee you will love the 39C :)

Indeed :) You want it so that the top cap is touching your face as well as the guard bar/blade. Start horizontal then pull the handle towardyour face, in turn rotating the guard bar toward your face, using the top cap as the pivot point. It's well illustrated in the wiki article HERE.

Once you get it dialled in, I guarantee you will love the 39C :)

I agree with nick_s. Even as a relative newbie I reach for the 39C a lot especially after >36 hours of whisker growth. Angle seems somewhat intuitive IMO (although I started with a 34HD so somewhat similar).. As someone's signature says I'm a bit of a self proclaimed 'slantaholic' I must admit..

Steep angle with R41 and shallow more traditional angle for 39c. Remember no pressure. Both cut like butter. That's what works for me atleast.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I quite enjoy my 37c, but it is a little different than my other razors. It's a different feel, and you are right about the weight. It's tricky to let it glide, but virtually no pressure is key.

If you do not get the Merkur slant to work, you are not alone. I also got rid of my Merkur slant but still having Mühle R41.

Top Bottom