What's new

Dry hands

100% raw, organic, unrefined Shea Butter.
I use it instead of aftershave and instead of body lotion.
It is the best thing I have ever used.

+1 Most commercial lotions incorporate shea butter at a few percent in their ingredients and are very expensive. Many use mineral oil which isn't so good for your skin. You can buy 100% unrefined shea butter for less than $5 a pound from a number of sources on Amazon. I always check the reviews. It has a pretty good expiration dating of three years. I always carry a small 1/2 ounce container with me in the winter. Really good at locking the moisture in. I apply on moist skin and don't over apply, only a small amount is necessary to be effective.

Wash your face and hands with a glycerin soap like Neutrogena or Pears morning and night,
along with generous applications of Witch Hazel throughout the day.

I tried Gold Bond lotion in the green bottle a few years ago, it works fine for me. I also use it as a aftershave balm in the winter. I am sold on this stuff.

Nivea For Men Maximum Hydration Nourishing Lotion for Dry Skin isn't bad for a lighter lotion. I looked at it because I like the Nivea aftershave balm and had a number ingredients in common so thought it was worth a shot. See below:

Nivea Men Maximum Hydration Lotion for Dry Skin, 3 in 1 Body, Face and Hands Sea Minerals
Ingredients
Water, glycerin, isopropyl palmitate, alcohot denat., glyceryl stearate SE, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, cetearyl alcohol, tapioca starch, dimethicone, glyceryl glucoside, sea salt, carbomer, fragrance, xanthan gum, sodium cetearyl sulfate, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, ethylparaben.

Nivea For Men Post Shave Balm Sensitive
Ingredients
Water, glycerin, dicaprylyl carbonate, panthenol, isopropyl palmitate, tapioca starch, tocopheryl acetate, bisabolol, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, glycine soja (soybean) oil, triceteareth-4 phosphate, carbomer, sodium hydroxide, citric acid, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, fragrance.

Nivea MEN Original Replenishing Non-Greasy Post Shave Balm
Ingredients
Water, alcohol denat., glycerin, cyclomethicone, distarch phosphate, fragrance, panthenol, tocopheryl acetate, triceteareth-4 phosphate, carbomer, sodium hydroxide.

I used to have really bad dry skin on my hands, it'd crack and peel and generally look awful. I tried everything, even prescription creams. Nothing fixed it until I got a job as a young man cooking pizzas and my hands were immersed in oil all day and voila, problem solved. To this day, I don't know of a better solution than to simply apply a thin coat of cooking oil and give it time to absorb. After a few minutes you can wipe it off and while there will still be oil on your hands, it shouldn't transfer readily. If have the time and patience, just let your hands soak in oil, but that's too much trouble for me.

I'm not sure if the type matters, I think the pizza place used soybean oil, and I tend to use avocado oil these days.

Shea butter, cocoa butter, corn huskers, all kinds and brands of commonly available hand lotions (and one prescription) just did not do what vegetable oil can.

Last edited:
I used to have really bad dry skin on my hands, it'd crack and peel and generally look awful. I tried everything, even prescription creams. Nothing fixed it until I got a job as a young man cooking pizzas and my hands were immersed in oil all day and voila, problem solved. To this day, I don't know of a better solution than to simply apply a thin coat of cooking oil and give it time to absorb. After a few minutes you can wipe it off and while there will still be oil on your hands, it shouldn't transfer readily. If have the time and patience, just let your hands soak in oil, but that's too much trouble for me.

I'm not sure if the type matters, I think the pizza place used soybean oil, and I tend to use avocado oil these days.

Shea butter, cocoa butter, corn huskers, all kinds and brands of commonly available hand lotions (and one prescription) just did not do what vegetable oil can.
I'll repeat my recommendation for Badger Balm. It has olive oil as a main ingredient... Your experience is consistent with that[emoji106] Whatever works!

I used to suffer from eczema on my hands. Doctor recommended Aquafor. The key with it, and any moisturiser, is to use it right after bathing/washing your hands. Moisturisers don't add moisture, they lock it in.

I have used more expensive products in the past (which all worked well), but the most convenient I've found is this (available at CVS):

$B001FB5IMS_Eucerin_IntensiveRepairHand.jpg

I'll repeat my recommendation for Badger Balm. It has olive oil as a main ingredient... Your experience is consistent with that[emoji106] Whatever works!

I picked up some badger balm and did notice that Olive oil was the #1 ingredient, followed closely by castor oil - those two ingredients seem to show up together in so many products. Oh and beeswax was in there, presumably to thicken the balm and provide a protective barrier when applied to the skin as it won't soak in like the oils - like the petrolatum does in other products such as Aquaphor.

I used to suffer from eczema on my hands. Doctor recommended Aquafor. The key with it, and any moisturiser, is to use it right after bathing/washing your hands. Moisturisers don't add moisture, they lock it in.

Actually I find Aquaphor helps anytime I use it so must soak in some in addition to providing a barrier, unlike Vaseline which only provides a barrier but would agree maximum benefit is after washing.

The main ingredient is certainly effective, but why buy a product when we all have oil in our kitchens. Maybe I'm just cheap.

+1

I always apply lotion or cream after wetting my hands.

Lots of Badger Balm fans here. I'd never heard of it but tried a sample at Sprouts and seems like a nice product. It was $8 for a 2 oz. tin which is kinda pricey but a nice portable package and apparently effective product. The Burts Bees balm, probably just as good although seemed a bit more heavily scented was $9 for a 3 oz. tin so a better deal I think. Right now the store has 25% off all that type of stuff so maybe a good time for me to try it.

Top Bottom