What's new

Happy With One Razor and Blade Combo. Is it Sacrilege?

Even being a newbie I have felt the pull of RAD and the desire to obtain the best shave that I can. When I first joined, I felt like I had to try many different blades before deciding on which one to stay with. If you've seen some of my threads you may know how hard I was jonesing for a nice stainless steel razor, as well as a Gillette Tech from Delta Echo Razor Works. Finances being what they are, I was able to acquire the Tech, and my first week of shaves with it have been perfect.

Here is my dilemma. I know that my Tech plus a Feather blade equal the best shave I have ever gotten. Is it wrong to want to just stay with that? If I plunk down big bucks on an AS-D2 or ATT, is it really going to give me an experience worth the expense? Other than cost, should I drive myself nuts trying all the other blade options when I know that the Feather gives me what I want in my razor?

Even now, the only reason I can ever see myself using my first razor (a MTO) is out of sentimental reasons. When I want my best shave I will grab my Tech and Feather.

Does this way of thinking run contrary to the very spirit of B&B? I mean, I know that I would try other razors given the chance, but I have a hard time imagining paying for something like an ATT or asking for it as a gift. I really love my current setup.

Weird, huh?

Most, if not all of our fathers, grandfathers, etc who shaved only had one razor. If you like what you have, good for you. Think of the money you're saving.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I've been a one razor guy for years (Futur). I could easily settle on one blade,

Nothing wrong at all, if you are getting a perfect shave everytime don't mess with it. I tweak it and try new things just because but really I could survive with one razor I have as well.

-Stephen

I started out as a one blade, one razor guy....then I caught RAD and I've been experimenting. Now I think I've come back around to one blade, one razor. Just not the same as I started. No shame in finding what works and sticking to it. I may take some of the other razors out for an occasional test drive, but I'll always go back to my (new) daily driver.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I have but two razors, and three blade types. I could just as easily go with two blade types and be perfectly content. Soaps are my weakness, as I have four at home, two on the way. I justify the two en route by telling myself that I'm nearly out of one, so it must be replaced. And if I'm having one shipped, it simply makes good financial sense to order two, and save on shipping. I may lose my "M" (Minimalist) club membership if I don't get this under control...

I was using my Weber DLC, only, for quite a few years until I got my Wolfman, just recently. Nothing wrong with using whatever works for you and I only use one soap, now (it does come in 36 different scents, though). :thumbup:

I am right with you, even though I use two razors to shave. Red Tip to start and 47/50 SS to finish. I use one type blade, one soap, one brush and one aftershave. I shave to get the hair off my face, and this does it for me.

I may get a Fat Boy to get down to one razor. I will probably buy a travel brush and cream to get down to smaller travel kit, but that is it for me.

Greg W.

Sacrilege? No. Contrary to the spirit of B&B? Heck no. I wager most of us joined because we were looking for a better shave. At least I did. Sounds like you have found your unicorn/spirit animal/pot at the end of the rainbow.
:a24:

But if curiosity is tugging at you, I certainly ain't going to discourage you from trying out a new razor (or two... or three... or four).

I started with a 34C, decided to get an ATT R2 a month later, bought the M2 and H2 plates a few weeks later, and settled on the H2. I never use the 34C, and sold or traded the M2 and R2. For about nine months, I used only the H2, thinking it could not be surpassed. About a month ago, I developed RAD for some reason, perhaps because it was the only AD I had not experienced. Now I've got a bunch I don't plan to use much (Slim, Tech, two Old Types, two News) and some I enjoy (FaTip, S2, R41). I probably should have stopped with my H2, but I keep thinking there's a holy grail out there. I plan to buy two more, a Wolfman with an increased blade gap and an Ikon Shavecraft Tech, and then call it quits. Really. I'm serious this time...

I started out as a one blade, one razor guy....then I caught RAD and I've been experimenting. Now I think I've come back around to one blade, one razor. Just not the same as I started. No shame in finding what works and sticking to it. I may take some of the other razors out for an occasional test drive, but I'll always go back to my (new) daily driver.

This was a good answer.

There's nothing wrong with finding the ONE combination that works for you and sticking with that. In fact, I congratulate you on reaching that point. But you should keep yourself open to the idea that there might be something better out there (and 'better' can be interpreted in various ways). Eventually you might want to branch out again, and there should be no shame in changing your mind at that point either.

The spirit of B&B is encouraging each other in the pursuit of a good shave. For many gentlemen, a good shave involves having a variety of tools and products to choose from, but for many others that's not it at all. There's plenty to do on here in there spirit of B&B: talk about technique, offer advice to newbies, offer PIFs of your favorite things, write reviews and articles, keep reading the forum for the sake of ever learning more, develop a new acquisition disorder for fountain pens or wristwatches, make fun of people who use five-blade carts, etc.

This was a good answer.

There's nothing wrong with finding the ONE combination that works for you and sticking with that. In fact, I congratulate you on reaching that point. But you should keep yourself open to the idea that there might be something better out there (and 'better' can be interpreted in various ways). Eventually you might want to branch out again, and there should be no shame in changing your mind at that point either.

The spirit of B&B is encouraging each other in the pursuit of a good shave. For many gentlemen, a good shave involves having a variety of tools and products to choose from, but for many others that's not it at all. There's plenty to do on here in there spirit of B&B: talk about technique, offer advice to newbies, offer PIFs of your favorite things, write reviews and articles, keep reading the forum for the sake of ever learning more, develop a new acquisition disorder for fountain pens or wristwatches, make fun of people who use five-blade carts, etc.

Very well said. Thank you. I would not be where I am without this community, and I am definitely in for the long haul. In fact, I just posted my first PIF today, and cannot wait to contribute more.

Eh ... I'm pretty happy with my New SC and a Voskhod, enough that it could certainly be my one and only.

I prefer trying out soaps rather than hardware anyway

Top Bottom