What's new

Differences between shaving mugs

Are mugs for creams supposed to have different dimensions then mugs for soaps? I ask because i have one but it's to tall to use with cream(my fingers hit the edges). It's about 8 cm(3.14 inches) in height.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A bowl would probably serve you better for a cream.

Any bowl will work, or try face lathering.

i actually like bowls better than mugs in general for both soaps and creams.

Do you have a pic of the mug your using?

I have a vintage Currier and Ives mug that is made for shaving soaps. It widens from the bottom toward the top, like a tuba but to lesser degree. That helps avoid those finger collisions. As a soap mug, it holds a puck's worth of soap quite well, and I keep the soap there like my father did with his Old Spice mug and soap set. I squeeze creams into one of those textured Turkish shaving bowls and stir it into a lather.

On another thread, someone posted a "DIY" mug that also held their brush and/or razor. It was a simple Sierra Cup with the handle bent into a holder. Well, I remembered having a couple of these in a box in the basement, two different sizes, and pulled the smaller one out to give it a go as a lather mug. WOW, works GREAT. Perfect size and shape for me, no more banging my fingers and brush handle. Also, hangs nicely from our accouterments rack next to the sink. Works much better than the Col Conk metal bowl I also have (too small for my brushes), or any of the ceramic mugs/bowls I've used. Soaking the brush is a bit problematic, but I'm going to try out the larger one to see if that helps. Oh, and they are pretty darn inexpensive.

$sierra-cup.jpg

I made my own. Wide, deep, has a base to hold onto, and has lines and dots in it.

What is it made out of? Difficult?

EDIT: Never mind, found your posts on the bowl you made. Nice! I used throw pots so I may have to try that out some time (one of my lather bowls is one I made years and years ago, but really far too large and heavy).

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's tricky. Some use a coffee cup, but to me, having the brush handle clank all the way around is just not right. It's too high.

It must be larger than the puck- large enough to pass the brush around the sides- and high enough so nothing slops out, yet low enough that the brush handle doesn't hit.

A stainless steel cat/dog bowl is about right! Or the famous salsa bowl (search).

AA :.02cents:

$20150801_233228.jpg
This mug works perfectly for me, found at goodwill for 49 cents. I bought all 6 that they had, a couple have already been given away.

Top Bottom