What's new

Sensitive Skin Issues

I know I probably sound like a broken record, but I would like to know what would be the best course of action would be to get rid of, or at least minimalize the irritation. First, a little info:

I use a few DE razors, some gillette super speeds, ar merkur 41c, and a weishi. I try to use the same razor every time in order to get a good baseline, and Ive only recently started trying new blades. I also just recently started trying new soaps.

I know Ive made the mistake of going ATG on my neck. Necks the most sensitive area. Ive tried to go just WTG and XTG, but to no avail. Still nice red painful bumps. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I left out anything that you would need to know, just ask.

Firstly, make sure you have tried mapping your beard growth.
Secondly, make sure your lather is properly generated with enough water.
Thirdly, I know you may think you are not using any pressure, but try to use less.
Fourthly, make sure your blade angle is correct.
Fifthly, just do one pass on the neck or two WTG passes until your technique improves.
Sixthly, be patient.
Seventhly, be more patient.
Eigthly, use unrefined shea butter for any irritation or razor burn; it's magical!
Good luck! :001_smile

+1 to beard mapping. Also I found thinking about only trying to remove the lather (ie no pressure) helped.

Also, I found shaving every other day helped in keeping the irritation down.

+1 to beard mapping. Also I found thinking about only trying to remove the lather (ie no pressure) helped.

Also, I found shaving every other day helped in keeping the irritation down.

Ive gone the route of beard mapping multiple times. Ill admit that it works, but Ive got this maddeningly strange growth pattern on my neck thats so troublesome to navigate.

Also, I already only shave every 2 to 3 days or so. Maybe I need to just give myself some time to let my skin to rest up before I give it another shot. Im not about to give it up, but its just a bit off-putting.

Agree with everything said. Only three things to add:

1. Only a single pass WTG in the troublesome areas. No reason to go XTG. If the shave isn't super smooth, so be it.

2. Make certain the blade is sharp. Change the blade 1 day early rather than 1 day late.

3. No aftershaves or balms with alcohol or desiccants like witch hazel.

Good luck

All what has been said above, but the biggest help for me was switching to unscented or minimally scented soaps, Mike's makes a great one, William's Mug, Pacific Shave Co, are a few off the top...Certain ingredients bother my face, and some do not, you may have to experiment...MWF is one of the worst for me, but for many other's a lifesaver, while Cella is a dream soap (again for me). I have tried some great lathering and smelling soaps out there, only having to sell them because of how irritated I get after using them.

+1 on technique improvements and using cold water.

I'm convinced that, for me, my neck irritation is the result of dry skin getting dryer with soaps/creams. I'm still experimenting, but I have found Proraso Blue to be good for me and doesn't dry out my skin. But, I have found that shaving with oil and NO lather actually gives me a good shave with little/no irritation. I've had good success with Shave Secret Shave Oil and I've just started experimenting with using Maggard's pre-shave oil, both with no lather.

Shave oil has been quite successful for me. If other tweaks are working for you, it might be worth a try.

Good luck.

i apply a light coating of bay rum EO scented mineral oil, allow to remain for a couple minutes, wipe off the excess. This eliminated 99% of irritation due to soap, blade, bad technique, or any other cause of irritation. Tried other post shave products but mineral oil works the best for my situation.

Firstly, make sure you have tried mapping your beard growth.
Secondly, make sure your lather is properly generated with enough water.
Thirdly, I know you may think you are not using any pressure, but try to use less.
Fourthly, make sure your blade angle is correct.
Fifthly, just do one pass on the neck or two WTG passes until your technique improves.
Sixthly, be patient.
Seventhly, be more patient.
Eigthly, use unrefined shea butter for any irritation or razor burn; it's magical!
Good luck! :001_smile
Perfectly said.

My advice:

To begin, don't shave for a few days and let the area heal completely. Then,

1. Focus on your prep (soften your beard by showering first, or use a hot towel, use preshave oil),
2. Only shave WTG until this problem resolves. A single pass for starters.
3. Consider using unscented soaps...if your sensitive skin is reacting to a scent or perfume this may be causing your irritation; make sure you have a good lubricating lather
4. Go slow and go light over those sensitive areas with your razor.
5. Witch Hazel is a great skin conditioner.
6. Avoid alcohol or heavily scented aftershaves.

+1 on the unrefined shea butter. I rub a little into my palm to get in warm, then shake whatever splash I use into my palm, rub it together and apply to my face. This usually solves any irritation problems for me, and I often do it even if I get no irritation if I want some moisturizing. Depending on what's in (or, really, not in) my splash, I'll sometimes also add some 444 and/or some Thayers alcohol free unscented witch hazel to the mix.

The cold water thing can do wonders. I am a pretty avid cold or cool water shaver but I recently have been playing with doing a full hot water prep (wash with soap/hold hot cloth to my face for a few etc) then before proceeding I rinse completely with COLD water until my face has cooled, then lather and shave.
Good, no, GREAT lather with cold water rinses and a splash of AS with a little glycerin and you may be surprised with the comfort you get.

I struggled to map the growth on my neck as it grows in all directions at once. However I now use a diagonal first pass, running from Adam's apple to my ear, the following passes are all done using the "bull frogging" technique. This has been they key to my irritation free shaves.

Top Bottom