What's new

DE razors with zero play, goof-proof alignment?

I would add the Standard Razors razor as perfect alignment, at least out of a sample size of 2.

The Gillette Old Type does not have perfect alignment, but it doesn't seem to matter at all. I don't even pay attention.

No OCD there. :001_rolle

I use Vintage Gillette razors, and have no issues. Fat Boys, Slims, Old Types, Big Fellow, Bostonian, Aristocrats, etc.

I just tested my own razors, and I was able to (purposefully) misalign all of my razors except the Wilkinson Sword Classic (perhaps plastic is easier to mold to tight tolerances?)

So, I believe all these are possible to (at least slightly) misalign:
  • ATT
  • Merkur slant (37C if I recall correctly)
  • Pearl OC (aka Cadet, RazoRock, etc)
  • RazoRock SLAB
  • RiMei

NOTE: some of these misalignments would probably have not been discernable by me without magnfication

Last edited:
I have a Parker 96R that usually loads a little off. Not much of a problem, just check the blade exposure, loosen, re-adjust, and lock back in. My Fatboy has always loaded evenly, so no issues there.

I have two EJ89s, both of which are spot on. I have never heard of anyone have an alignment issue with these.
My Fatip, on the other hand.....

I have two EJ89s, both of which are spot on. I have never heard of anyone have an alignment issue with these.
My Fatip, on the other hand.....

I was just about to write almost exactly the same post. I'm surprised EJ 89 wasn't mentioned yet. Fatip becomes very evil if misaligned.

Btw you should call them Newbie Friendly Impossible to Misalign Razors of Perfection.

For those already following the thread, I've been updating the list. It currently includes:

• Feather AS-D2
  • Feather Popular (?)
  • all vintage Gillette models except Old Type and NEWs (?)
  • iKon models with the alignment bar (OSS, Open Comb, Standard)
  • LASSCo BBS-1
  • Lord L6 (?)
  • Merkur Futur (?)
  • Parker TTO (?)
  • RazoRock TTO (?)
  • Standard Razor Brand razor (?)
  • Wilkinson Sword Classic
  • Weishi TTO (aka Micro Touch One, Vanderhagen, etc) (?)
  • Wolfman

Should any additional ones be added?

Can you personally confirm any of these are impossible to load with even a tenth of a mm of misalignment?

Are you you able to purposefully misalign any of these?

Last edited:
I was just about to write almost exactly the same post. I'm surprised EJ 89 wasn't mentioned yet.

The double-post design seems to be much harder to make foolproof. I seem to have lost my EJ ... could someone give a shot at trying to purposefully misalign one and checking under magnification?

Btw you should call them Newbie Friendly Impossible to Misalign Razors of Perfection.

:tongue_sm

For those already following the thread, I've been updating the list. It currently includes:

• Feather AS-D2
  • Feather Popular (?)
  • all vintage Gillette models except Old Type and NEWs (?)
  • iKon models with the alignment bar (OSS, Open Comb, Standard)
  • LASSCo BBS-1
  • Lord L6 (?)
  • Merkur Futur (?)
  • Parker TTO (?)
  • RazoRock TTO (?)
  • Standard Razor Brand razor (?)
  • Wilkinson Sword Classic
  • Wolfman

Should any additional ones be added?

Can you personally confirm any of these are impossible to load with even a tenth of a mm of misalignment?

Are you you able to purposefully misalign any of these?

The blade loads on the top cap of the EJ 89 pretty tightly it seems like any misalignment would be difficult or insignificant.

You have to work pretty hard to misalign any ATT razor. Yeah, I know people complain about the tiny alignment pins, but if you make sure the blade is centered on those pins, it is effectively impossible to have the blade misaligned.
The Gillette NEW is also very hard to misalign. No doubt there are guys who are up to the task ...

One of the reasons I dislike three piece razors is the fussiness of the design -- especially given its simplicity. I consider any razor that is even slightly more fiddly than the Feather to fail the goof proof alignment test.

Gillette TTOs generally don't have any alignment issues. The Techs have even better more secure blade alignment with the corner tabs added.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Aside from the razors already mentioned, I have 2 Webers (both PH) & they have no alignment issues. My Shavecraft 102 & 103 are also both perfect. With all these razors, I just drop a blade in & tighten up.

Last edited:
Aside from the razors already mentioned, I have 2 Webers (both PH) & they have no alignment issues. My Shavecraft 102 & 103 are also both perfect. With all these razors, I just drop a blade in & tighten up.

Both of my Webers have had minor alignment issues. Nothing significant, but definitely not in the same league as my Wolfman and AS-D2 when it comes to blade alignment.

• Lord L6 (?)

I didn't use a magnifying glass or anything when I tried to misalign these. These should be really common because they're so cheap and ... well that sticky thread ... :thumbup1: Would be good to know if anyone else thinks they're fool-proof.

Top Bottom