What's new

Crooked handle GEM G-Bar/Heavy Flat Top

I picked up a GEM heavy flat top today and noticed that the handle is skewed to one side despite the great condition the razor is in (it came with a red case which is not pictured):
IMG_5534.jpegIMG_5536.jpeg

The blade also seems to favor one side of the plate and cap:
IMG_5538.jpegIMG_5539.jpeg

Despite these slight flaws I’m pretty sure the blade is aligned just fine for shaving since the gap looks very even and each side of the blade touches the blade stops:

IMG_5541.jpegIMG_5542.jpeg

IMG_5543.jpeg

I don’t believe this was dropped based on the condition so it must have left the factory like this. I’m sure they were making a gazillion of these for the mass market so I’m not surprised some would have these flaws since it really shouldn’t effect functionality. As long as it works as intended I’ll be very happy with it! I’ll update this when I get a chance to shave with it.

I finally got around to shaving with it and it worked very well! WTG was very mild but ATG was very smooth when I used proper technique. The blade is a few times used GEM PTFE and seems to still have plenty of life left in it. Got a BBS shave with no bleeding so this is definitely NOT a defective razor save for the slight crookedness. I should also mention I felt almost nothing at all when shaving WTG, i couldn’t even tell I was shaving which was interesting. Also does anyone else ride the guard with these? I don’t go super steep but it’s definitely not flat on my face like most people suggest, obviously must be a YMMV thing.

Not dropped, but maybe stepped on? That surely would have been caught at the factory if it happened there.
I think it’s just typical mass produced product variance, it doesn’t have a mark on it. After seeing a few other G-Bars online, I *think* I can see a slight bend on some of them too so maybe it just happened sometimes when they riveted the hands to the bottom plate.

In the coin world, error coins, the price is sometimes PHENOMENAL [like the seller plucked the price oot thay 📯

So this is a RARER than rare error razor :w00t:

Top Bottom