What's new

Fatboy Parade

I'm a retired engineer with a love for precision tooling. I especially love precision tooling when it is Made in the USA, and for me, Gillette razors from the pre-plastic days are just about the epitome of precision tooling Made in the USA. So I actually hit the antique shops looking for what I call "rescue razors" - kinda like pound puppies - only my mission is to find, fix, restore and return what I find to a useful life. Hoarding is the last thing I'd want to do because I'd much rather know that these precision instruments are being used on a regular basis, and one guy can't make that happen for too big a collection.

So hoarding? No, my expectation is that I'll keep less than a quarter of what I have now and return the rest to the market. As for the Fat Boys, I'll keep one as a souvenir and the rest will find their way back out.... Patience, Grasshopper <grin>

That's good to know, and I thank you for fixing/saving them for the future.

Just picked up my first Fat Boy (1960 F 3) at an estate sale yesterday! It was pretty cruddy and dirty, but I soaked it in soapy water and cleaned it with a toothbrush and she looks pretty good! I've got some simichrome polish coming in the mail, so I'm hoping she'll get even purdier once I polish her. The funny thing is that I've been looking for a FB for 5-6 months now, but holding out for a good deal. I've even had dreams about going to an estate sale, walking into the master bath, and finding a nice Fat Boy in a box or drawer, and that's EXACTLY what happened yesterday!! Price paid: $2

First pic is before cleaning, 2nd pic is after. She's in perfect working order, and she looks pretty darned good too! The black ring at the bottom of the adjuster looks like new, and so does the red indicator, but the black on the numbers has faded some, maybe I'll try and fix that at some point. I popped in a fresh feather blade and shaved with her last night and again this morning---VERY impressed!
View attachment 595658View attachment 595659

Last edited:

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
My three all three wild finds and bought at ridiculously low prices. Left to right 59 E-1, 60 F-1, 61 G3. The 60 was my first DE When I first decided to try a DE I couldn't decide which razor to buy so I thought I would check the local antique shops the first place I check I found this was the only DE they had. I didn't know what it was, but for $2.50 I knew it was my new razor. Boy was I exited when I got home, looked on the internet, and found out what I had!:w00t: The 59 is the current one in my rotation it is the one in the worst shape(still not bad at all just a little brassing on the corners) and I just don't want to get the other 2 dirty. The 61 is so near mint I can't bring myself to get it dirty yet and I have had it over 2 months now.:lol:

I've never done it, so I can't speak from experience, but I've heard of an easy way to fill in the numbers again. If you take a black crayon and draw over them the space will fill with black wax. Clean up the excess and it'll look shiny and new. Its supposed to last forever (unless you boil it...)

A gorgeous G1 that gives shaves I can't begin to compare to any other razor.

proxy.php

$uploadfromtaptalk1440638394471.jpg A E1 I picked up from a anqutie store for 12 bucks while back still yet to use it some planting lose still and junk still on it but glad to own a Fatboy now

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
full

This is my Fatboy's original condition when retrieved from the wild.
full

Here she is after a good cleaning. She cleaned up pretty nicely!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the look of the cerakote razors, where do you guys get them done? Is the process crazy expensive?

I'd like to know the answer to this question also. I know Delta Echo Razor Works offers refinishing with GunKote products, but is anyone actually using Cerakote for refinishing safety razors? They are two different products, and Cerakote is widely regarded as being much tougher than GunKote (or Duracoat, for that matter).

I have a flashlight that is treated with Cerakote (safety orange) that I have owned for several years now and carried almost every day. Swims in my pocket with keys, change, etc. and the darned thing looks brand new. Dinged it from a drop onto asphalt, but that caused only minimal damage.

Delta Echo does great work, and I drool over the photos of their restorations that people post here. But I gotta have Cerakote. So, back to Knightly's question: where do you go for Cerakote razor refinishing?

broonzbane

Guys, where do you buy your Fatboys from? Is it usually from Ebay? I saw a few at Delta Echo Razor works. They look beautiful, but is the $140 price really worth it? Am a newbie, please pardon my ignorance. Currently am using a EJ DE89 with a Merkur 37C slant on the way.

I've never paid more than $35 for one of my Gillette Fatboys, and that includes the case on that particular one. I think that places that sell replated versions of any razor mark them up way more than they should. When you look at the price of a decent Fatboy here on the boards in user grade condition, then look at the price to replate it, you can see what I'm taking about.

I know some here chose to purchase razors from Above The Tie that are replated from the owner and they are very happy with them. If that's something that you want to do and can afford the price, then go for it, by all means. Just remember to enjoy yourself and your collection along with the shave. :)

Top Bottom