What's new

Your TWO most favorite creams

1805 is one of T&H's cologne scents, with an accompanying range of products, including the shaving cream. Personally, I wasn't all that fond of 1805 when I sampled it. I find it to be a modern, oceanic scent. Despite the name, and T&H's claim that it is derived from a formulation dating back to the 1850s, the reality is it was introduced in 1998, and is reminiscent of a lot of "fresh" or "sport" fragrances from that period. Obviously a fair number of people like it, though.

T&H describes it as, "Fresh and oceanic, 1805 has top notes of bergamot, mandarin and cardamom, combined with a lavender, geranium and clary sage heart resting on a sandalwood, cedarwood and musk base."

Basenotes and Fragrantica have review pages for the fragrance.

Thanks for the help!

The best shaving cream I've ever tried is XPEC and while I've spent that much for a high end soap, I'm not interested in hitting that price point for a shave cream.

I'm very fond of Speick and Nancy Boy so those are likely my top two shave creams.

Biotique is quite good also and worth purchasing.

Almost falling of the edge of the topic, but has anyone any thoughts on Crown from Canada? Good reviews on the vendors websites.

I've only smelled it, but never used it. It smells like peppermint, which is nice, in my opinion. It's my understanding that this is the only scent they have.

Almost falling of the edge of the topic, but has anyone any thoughts on Crown from Canada? Good reviews on the vendors websites.

Crown's preshave is possibly the best money can buy. It's expensive but lasts forever (1 pump per shave). It's so good, I have to try their cream soon.

Thanks for the help!

No problem. I should point out that, performance wise, it's as good as any of the other fragranced T&H creams. They're all excellent. Choice among them really comes down to scent. My personal favorite among T&H's fragranced lines is Trafalgar, but my favorite T&H cream overall is Ultimate Comfort. In fact, it's one of my favorite creams of any brand. It's just not in my current top two, but that's a pretty arbitrary distinction.

No problem. I should point out that, performance wise, it's as good as any of the other fragranced T&H creams. They're all excellent. Choice among them really comes down to scent. My personal favorite among T&H's fragranced lines is Trafalgar, but my favorite T&H cream overall is Ultimate Comfort. In fact, it's one of my favorite creams of any brand. It's just not in my current top two, but that's a pretty arbitrary distinction.

Awesome! A few others have recommended ultimate comfort as well, so I'll have to check it out. Another recurring cream seems to be CF Lime, and Tabac. I don't know much about any of these, so my interest is peaked! As a side note, I have to say that I'm generally not a fan of lavender or any flowery scents, so I'm hoping these ones aren't super floral.

Awesome! A few others have recommended ultimate comfort as well, so I'll have to check it out. Another recurring cream seems to be CF Lime, and Tabac. I don't know much about any of these, so my interest is peaked! As a side note, I have to say that I'm generally not a fan of lavender or any flowery scents, so I'm hoping these ones aren't super floral.

IMO, natural lavender is more herbal than floral, even though the lavender plant does produce flowers. Lavender oil has a somewhat medicinal, quasi-camphoric note to it, but is more pleasant than either. I can't guarantee you'll like it, but good, natural lavender can be worlds away from the floral lavender perfumes some companies make.

CF lavender is an intense natural lavender, very high quality. The same descriptors apply to their other scents, as well - both the lime and the cedarwood/sandalwood are top flight. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Ultimate Comfort has a very light lavender scent, but it's hard to pin down specifically as lavender. I've seen people describe it as smelling like lavender, juniper, citrus, and sunshine. I just think it smells good.

IMO, natural lavender is more herbal than floral, even though the lavender plant does produce flowers. Lavender oil has a somewhat medicinal, quasi-camphoric note to it, but is more pleasant than either. I can't guarantee you'll like it, but good, natural lavender can be worlds away from the floral lavender perfumes some companies make.

CF lavender is an intense natural lavender, very high quality. The same descriptors apply to their other scents, as well - both the lime and the cedarwood/sandalwood are top flight. You really can't go wrong with any of them. Ultimate Comfort has a very light lavender scent, but it's hard to pin down specifically as lavender. I've seen people describe it as smelling like lavender, juniper, citrus, and sunshine. I just think it smells good.

Again, thank you for the very helpful information. I'm definitely going to have to try these. It seems as though I don't have enough experience with higher quality lavender, so I'm certainly willing to give it another go.

Again, thank you for the very helpful information. I'm definitely going to have to try these. It seems as though I don't have enough experience with higher quality lavender, so I'm certainly willing to give it another go.

If you have a Whole Foods or some other "natural" store in your area that sells essential oils, you can smell their lavender tester. That will give you a pretty good idea whether you like it or not.

I just bought some of the Crown pre shave and they threw in a sample of the cream. As noted above, it has a distinct peppermint scent. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Hey all,

I'm looking to try some new creams. I thought I would select from those most commonly recommended here. Part of the challenge is to choose only two. You can separate into scent and performance if you'd like. If you are able, it would be great to provide a brief description of the scent so that I can get a better sense of the product. Thanks in advance!

I have tried over 30 creams so far.

Expensive
Any of the Truefitt and Hill - expensive but worth it. Lavender is my favorite but they all whip up easily and perform beautifully. Look at their site for descriptions. A tub lasts a long time,

Not expensive
Biotique Palmyra is an absolute steal for the money. Smells like freshly sliced green apples. It is a little runny but it does not change the performance.

Scent
Dreadnought - I love the scent and performance but am turned off by the ingredient stated to decrease hair growth. Worth getting a tub to try.

With all of the choices out there I am always looking for more recommendations. Keep them coming!

Vito

I'm on the same page as Vito.. gotta try all those creams (and soaps) ..... where online can I get Biotique Palmyra? I had a smaple of T&H Lavender that was marvelous on the skin and a delight for the nose. So many creams to try and only one shave per day... sigh.

I'm on the same page as Vito.. gotta try all those creams (and soaps) ..... where online can I get Biotique Palmyra? I had a smaple of T&H Lavender that was marvelous on the skin and a delight for the nose. So many creams to try and only one shave per day... sigh.

I bought some on Ebay about one month ago .$7 for a 180ml jar !

Craig

In your "pick your top two soaps" thread I gave you 1 soap and two creams...so I will now give you 2 more creams and 1 soap (and yes, I still can't count): Sterling Naked and Smooth, B&M Unscented and Proraso White.

Top Bottom