What's new

My first straight razor shave

My first shave with a straight razor went pretty well. No nicks, not the closest shave, but not bad. Had some trouble with the chin and lower neck. Any tips to help me progress ?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Just keep on. Keep at it. It keeps improving. You will love it.

I just started a month or so ago and the chin is hard for sure. What seems to help me a little is to curl my bottom lip around my teeth; this has the effect of pulling up the bulb part of the chin to a flatter surface. Other than that what I've been focusing on is just getting the blade angle right. Good luck!

Congratulations on the first straight shave. From here on in, it's repetition and patience. The great shaves will come with your progressive muscle memory. Enjoy :thumbup1:.

Congrats Zachary :thumbup: I am Right There with you, I had my first straight shave today as well and pretty much the same result, No Cuts, No Bloodletting of any kind, no razor burn and not close but it took a good amount of stubble off. I guess we just have to keep at it and get better with time right?

Congrats! I started with a straight back around thanksgiving (November) last year. I am still learning things and honing my technique but after a month or two I really started to see the benefits.

Best advice I can give is No Pressure! Let the blade to the work. Other than that be open to trying new grips for holding the razor. For my neck and chin I do a couple of passes with each doing different razor grips to allow me to maintain the blade angle while going in a different direction.

Last edited:
Practice practice practice.

I find an E-W pass across the chin works for me but, for my neck, I typically do a pair of N-S passes rather than trying to do an E-W or S-N for daily shaves. Your hair will be different but with practice: pay attention on days where you did well & poorly to keep track of what did and didn't work.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Good job, ZacharyDD :thumbup1:

Continued use is about the only trick I can think of. Sometimes it takes time for things to click and shaving becoming semi-automatic. At least, I know it did for me.

atta boy! keep at it!!

$mickey shaving 3.jpg

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I always take off my gloves to shave. And I never stand on a wobbly old chair, either. I do like the brush handle, though.

Top Bottom