What's new

Journey of the Smokedstanley

Had an idea in my head for a razor stand so I gave it a go and made this today from some scrap pieces of pine, then stained it grey. Clamped the board together and used a spade bit to make the recesses for the razors . May have to get some Forstner bits and try another one later, but happy with the outcome. Holds 22 razors at a 45 degree angle.
1703887696947.png

1703887762960.png

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Had an idea in my head for a razor stand so I gave it a go and made this today from some scrap pieces of pine, then stained it grey. Clamped the board together and used a spade bit to make the recesses for the razors . May have to get some Forstner bits and try another one later, but happy with the outcome. Holds 22 razors at a 45 degree angle.
View attachment 1771864
View attachment 1771865
Nice work, sir! :thumbup1:

I have to say I really enjoyed using the schick. After the first shave the awkward feeling from the long handle and lightweight seemed to be gone and it gave a great shave with very little worry about nicks or irritation. I think I only had one weeper while using it.

Today we went a bit more modern and got the Merkur Progress 500 out. I got this razor back in 2020 and did use it then, but it has been quite a while. I remembered it being quite aggressive, but do not recall what blade I had in it. Since I just shaved yesterday I set it on 2 with an Astra sp and some Tabac soap. It is an efficient razor and only took one and a half passes to get an almost BBS shave with no irritation or weepers.
1703946907830.png

Went to a couple local antique shops and saw the usual assortment of overpriced razors and a superb Gillette Slim Aristocrat in its case, but that was $395. Below is what ended up finding its way back to my house.

1930 New Short Comb in pristine condition for $14. Couldn't pass it up.
1703969083756.png
1703969142367.png
1703969221965.png

Also found what I considered a reasonably priced Gillette display case for $45. More than I would have liked to spend but cheaper than I have seen them.
1703969323234.png

Decided to put my bladed in it and had a few open spots for some razors.
1703969477608.png

Along with the Merkur and some Van Der Hagen soap, I used a knot recently received from a fellow B&B member. It is a Turn N Shave 26mm Shoat boar set in a PAA Ferrule. I reset the knot a few mm deeper than it was due to how much it splayed out on the first use. Set to about 14mm now and I have to say it changed the whole feel of this knot and it is pretty sweet. It has a decent backbone, soft tips. This is probably one of the densest Boar knots I have and it took a bit of effort to get it to go past the resin puck at the base of the knot and get the bristles into the ferrule.
1704130579538.png

Last edited:
Razor change today. Had a good week with the Merkur Progress, not as aggressive as I remember from when I got it, but do not remember the blade I was using and hopefully I am a little better at using it now.

Today I decided to use a 1972 S1 Short Handle Super Adjustable with an Astra sp set at 5. After the week with the progress it almost felt like there was no blade in the Super Adjustable. Very smooth, relaxed and efficient shave. Supporting characters were my trusted van Der Hagen soap and my first brush, a T&D Badger that was my primary brush for almost three years until I caught a bit of BAD. Still have to say this is a great little brush, dense but soft knot. Holds the heat nicely and loads up without using a ton of soap. Could easily do more than 3 passes off the initial loading.
1704724955374.png

The Super Adjustable was exactly how I thought it would be. Very mild and a pleasure to use.

Today I tried out the 1930 New short comb and loved it. I wouldn't say it was as mild as the Super Adjustable but it was mild enough to give instant confidence. Did 3 passes and ended up with BBS. I just kept saying to myself that I really like this razor while shaving and I need to try some other blades in this one down the road.

Supporting characters are a 26mm Turn N Shave Shoat boar on a rubberset handle and Jikoryen soap. I really like this knot but need to shake it out better next time as it really holds the water and likes to drip on me when lathering up my face.

1705152708308.png

Went a little newer today with a Y1 Super Speed. Pleasant 2 pass shave. Felt a tiny bit more aggressive than a Tech but only a tiny bit. I did find the blade gave a lot more audible feedback than I was expecting, but I enjoy that so it was a pleasant surprise.

Supporting characters - Shaveforge badger knot on a Rubberset 400 handle, Astra sp and some Col Conk amber. First use of the knot. Soaked while showering. It had just a little scritch, overall felt soft with plenty of bounce while using it.

1705673073201.png

Was rather surprised with todays shave. I switched to a C2 Super Speed Red Tip and was expecting a harsh or aggressive shave just based on peoples feedback that I have seen and it felt almost exactly the same as the Y1 Super Speed. The main difference was a less audible shave, but it was just as comfortable and smooth.

Blade was an Astra sp, same as I have been using in all razors since I started the journal along with the Opal Boar and VDH soap.
1705968200805.png

Since the Red Tip felt so close to the Y1 Super Speed I chose a P3 Aluminum handle Travel Tech for today. First time using one of the travel razors and have to say it is quite a weird feeling shaving with just your finger tips. I also do not understand the need for the short handle when the standard 3 piece razors are pretty compact as it is when you take them apart. Overall a great shave and I am sure I will get used to the fingertip feel. Supporting characters were the Opal Boar, Astra sp and Tabac soap.
1706210269231.png

First time using a Pre-war Tech. Not sure of the exact year but it is a little love worn. It did feel a bit more aggressive than the Techs I am used to but was still a pleasure to use. Had a few weepers, but nothing too bad. Supporting characters Astra sp, col. Conk Amber and a Turn N Shave Shoat knot. One of my favorite boars currently.
1707345920912.png

Decided to go from Pre right to Post-war. 46-50 no date code Ball End with an Astra sp, Captains Choice and Rubberset 400 with original knot. Every time I use a post war I am always in awe at how smooth and effortless the shave is. It is so smooth you almost question if you remembered to insert the blade. I mean obviously the hair in the sink and your smooth skin lets you know you didn't, but it just feels like you are gently wiping the soap off and not even shaving while using these Techs. What's not to love about a razor that is so smooth and efficient you question if it even has a blade in it.
1708176141607.png

Made the switch to a 1950 Super Speed today. Close effortless shave, quite enjoyable. The only real difference from the previous Tech was the blade had more audible feedback while shaving, which I find enjoyable in any razor. Supporting characters were Astra sp, VDH soap which is a great soap, especially for the cost and a VDH badger brush. I have to say I like the VDH boar better. The badger seems to have too much loft and really splays out when using it.
1709472587359.png

Well I must have really liked the 1950 Super Speed if I used it for almost the whole month of March. Today I picked up and tried out a 1949 Executive. Lovely shave, very smooth but efficient. Lovely 2 pass WTG/ATG shave, looking forward to using this one more. Supporting characters were an Astra sp, Opal Boar, VDH soap and off camera some Old Spice after shave.
1711844606053.png

Currently participating in Vintage & Adjustable April and burning through some razors that I haven't used yet. But had to post on todays find. Went to an Automotive swap meet at Stafford Motor Speedway this morning and was drawn to a cardboard box with a purse and Christmas lights sticking out of it at the back of a spot and low and behold, an all black, dirty little razor was calling my name. Got home and gave it a quick soak and a toothpaste scrub and out popped a 1920's silver Tuckaway with no cracks in the handle and what appears to be an Old Type base plate.

Took it for a spin a few minutes ago and all I can say is wow, what a surprisingly smooth, carefree shave. Odd size handle for me, but super happy with the results and efficiency.
1712525853105.png

Reknotted my newest Rubberset 400. The original knot was pretty bad and semi hollowed out so I got a 24X68 High Mountain White Badger knot from Shaveforge. Just did an initial soak and lather to get a feel for it and let it find its natural shape after being stuck in a small box. Quite soft, plenty of back bone and very dense. Made me glad they were out of the Ultra dense as I think that would have been too much at this size. As it is, this is a large knot for me. Looking forward to future uses and seeing how the knot changes, or if it changes with use.
1712850417061.png

Had a lovely weekend down the Cape with my wife and had to rescue this Red & Black set. The case looks like it has been through hell but the razor is in okay shape. It just looked so sad.
1713274416880.png

That was $4 and it made me feel good to rescue it. Then last night I did something crazy for me. I drove about 300 miles round trip and paid more than I ever have on a razor lot. Paid $500 for everything below, so about $10 each so it makes me feel a little better as I will be moving a bunch of these as I really just wanted a couple in the picture. It was an all or nothing sale and almost everything is complete and in great condition. Got some razors I have never seen before, like the Darwin and a couple Wilkinson sets. While I know the rolls razors are not worth much, I have never seen the stropping pads in as good a condition as these ones are. Definitely need to take a break from buying for a little bit.
1713274608016.png

1713274628365.png

Not to worry Stanley. Fantastic find!! And if nothing that Toggle alone would give you back your investment I reckon and I see other parts that might fit that bill too.

I had a Rolls Razor as a tag along when I bought an English NEW FB (or rather it was advertised in reverse so the NEW was a bonus with the Rolls. I need to find a way to set the blades I got with it to go for a shave with it.

Enjoy your gear!!

Guido

Top Bottom