What's new

True Detective S2

Okay, who all has been watching the 2nd season of True Detective on HBO? Thoughts so far? Does anyone understand what is going on?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Been watching from episode 1. Much more absorbing than season one. No idea exactly what's going on, that's half the fun

I've seen the current 4 episodes as well. This last one really got it going, so I will stick with it for sure. I think people who are disappointed in this season are forgetting that season 1 also took some time to get good.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I watched the first episode. It was ok. But I haven't been excited for the next one. I have them to watch still but haven't.

The new guys...I'm just not a fan of them.

Season one guys were way cooler.

First of all, I am a huge fan of season one...dark and gritty with a compelling story and great acting. The good guys were flawed and in some cases downright bad but in the end they wanted to get the bad guy.

I watched the first two episodes and I am sorely disappointed. It really seems the makers are trying way too hard. Some of the characters are not all that believable, and some characters are not necessary.

Hey...if you all like it though...who am I to judge.

not only do my wife and I not understand what's going on, but I suspect that writers are in the same boat.

mrs. nodded off during episode 4 this evening and asked me to not even attempt explaining what she missed.

season one was pretty good (well, except perhaps for the silly bromance ending). this season? yeah, imho, not so much thus far.

LOVED season 1. Watched first episode of season 2 and was like "meh". It didn't draw me in at all. Haven't really felt the urge to continue yet, but I probably will being a completist.

In my experience anything with Colin Farrell as an "American" isn't that good to me but his movies where he is Irish have been much more enjoyable to me.

not only do my wife and I not understand what's going on, but I suspect that writers are in the same boat.

mrs. nodded off during episode 4 this evening and asked me to not even attempt explaining what she missed.

season one was pretty good (well, except perhaps for the silly bromance ending). this season? yeah, imho, not so much thus far.

The bromance ending was perfect for such a dark series!

The first season's characters were all flawed but at least you could sort of relate to them. Even Woody Harrelson's character, as nasty as he was, redeemed himself to some degree when he showed loyalty to his partner.

This season's characters, however, are all just completely unlikeable scumbags who spend ninety percent of their screen time grimacing and staring morosely into space.

And the plot, such as it is, confuses the heck out of me - who were the Mexican gang people that shot it out with the cops, and why? For that matter, why did a handful of cops with handguns go after a Mexican gang that was armed better than a Panzer Division? The shootout was exciting but it made no sense.

Let's just be real here: season 2 is not nearly as good thus far. That being said, I didn't expect an LA version of Rustin Cohle.

I honestly enjoyed the first 2 episodes, although they didn't grab me as hard as the first season did. The 3-4 episodes were weaker, up until the bloodbath at the end of episode 4. The problem is that the plot isn't dark enough to make such a bloodbath intriguing or scary. It's the characters that are darker than the plot... The plot itself is just a confusing whodunit.

I'm choosing to have faith in them and stick it out through the season. I'm probably enjoying the acting and the slew of messed up characters more than anything, but I'm into that. Fingers crossed that the plot gives me something to sink my teeth into.

Also, RIP Dan Dority from Deadwood.

Really liked season one and am hoping season two will turn out great, also. As has been said, not sure what is going on yet but I think it is starting to be clarified. Don't think I could stop watching.

The first season's characters were all flawed but at least you could sort of relate to them. Even Woody Harrelson's character, as nasty as he was, redeemed himself to some degree when he showed loyalty to his partner.

This season's characters, however, are all just completely unlikeable scumbags who spend ninety percent of their screen time grimacing and staring morosely into space.

And the plot, such as it is, confuses the heck out of me - who were the Mexican gang people that shot it out with the cops, and why? For that matter, why did a handful of cops with handguns go after a Mexican gang that was armed better than a Panzer Division? The shootout was exciting but it made no sense.

Very true about these characters. They suck as people.

Here are two things I've noticed that intrigue me... Spoiler tags for those of you who haven't caught up.

Did you notice at the end when the leader of the Mexican gang (the pimp they were going after) was lying there dead that his blood turned white when the screen faded to black? Has to mean something...

The other thing is from episode 2 I think? When Ani and Ray are in the psychiatrist's office where Casper was a patient, there was a big framed piece of art on the wall behind Ray of a raven. Could be a coincidence, but I doubt it.

I have to say... this season has really picked up in the past few episodes. Can't wait for the 90-minute finale!

Just who the heck was "Stan"?
I had to go to IMDB to figure out who he was, and still was in the dark (and that was Rick Springfield as the creepy plastic surgeon...?).

Let's hope the writers give season 3 an interesting, lean storyline & some sympathetic characters so you give a damn if someone lives or dies.
This is a dull, pale imitation of S1. :mad3:

Meh. I didn't hate season 2, but it didn't blow me away like season 1. I actually enjoyed this season's finale more than the season 1 finale. It's not supposed to be a easily wrapped up in a nice little bow who-dunnit (looking at you, CSI/NCIS), and that True Detective is more character driven than plot driven, so we're supposed to feel for the main characters.
But, making a side visit to someplace while trying to flee the country?? Really?
Best line of the series, surpassing the "Mexican standoff with actual Mexicans", was "You're a really s***y actor" directed at Vince Vaughn. I laughed.
Sophomore jinx following season 1, but there's hope for 3. As long as they ditch Leonard Cohen doing the theme. I know as a fellow Canadian, I should support good old Can Con, but Lenny's lousy...

Season 1 was great.
Season 2 was uninteresting at best. Good acting, horrible writing. Could have cut the 5 episodes in the middle and made it a 3 hour movie.

Top Bottom