What's new

Looking for tips to make scratchy badger brush soft

I recently purchased a FrankShaving Pure Badger Travel Brush (Aluminum Cannister Twist Off). I have used it a number of times to break it in and my main complaint is that the brush is scratchier than I had expected. I suspect they cut the bristle to shape it and that the tips are not natural, but I am not sure about this; regardless, I am looking to soften the tips of the badger hair.

Are there any tips/tricks that I can use to safely get the tips of the badger hair soft?

Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything you can do to drastically change the tip softness of a badger brush. A pure grade badger is going to be inherently scritchy.

I wouldn't recommend doing anything drastic or the hair could be damaged. Some gents like a scratchy brush, but obviously YMMV. You might look into selling or trading or PIFing it and getting a higher-end brush like a Best, Super, Two-band, or Silvertip.

I wouldn't recommend doing anything drastic or the hair could be damaged. Some gents like a scratchy brush, but obviously YMMV. You might look into selling or trading or PIFing it and getting a higher-end brush like a Best, Super, Two-band, or Silvertip.
If you're in love with the handle but not the brush you could do something drastic like replace the knot...but it might make more sense to just get a new brush.

As has already been said, it will be difficult to change the way that the brush feels. Making lather in a bowl so that the brush spends less time in contact with your face should help.

Although it won't change it drastically, one thing may help a little. Soak the brush in warm water. Then take a little bit of hair conditioner and gently massage it into the brush. Let it sit for a minute or two and then rinse the brush, shake out the water, and twirl it around a towel to dry.

for me, I would lather it up with a nice scent soap or cream, real whipped cream like lather, get it worked in real well in the bristles, leave it over night, it will condition it some, and just with use and repeating that process a few times, you'll get it softened up like a toothbrush does.

Like stated above, use and repeated lathering will soften it some, but possibly not to your liking. This is where you really learn what tier of badger hair you prefer!

I have (had) various grades of badger before, but this brush is still much scratchier than I ever would have expected. The hair is not so much stiff/springy as much as the tips are "sharp." (My boar brushes don't feel as scratchy, but the bristle on them is much more stiff/springy).

Now, regarding the suggestions:

• Wouldn't the suggestion of letting a lather soak-in overnight affect the badger hair's ability to flex more rather than the reducing the scratchy tips? If so, I am satisfied with the flex in the hair, just the sharp tips need treatment.
  • Regarding hair conditioner suggestion, does this affect both the tips's softness and the hair's flex, or more specifically one?

I have (had) various grades of badger before, but this brush is still much scratchier than I ever would have expected. The hair is not so much stiff/springy as much as the tips are "sharp." (My boar brushes don't feel as scratchy, but the bristle on them is much more stiff/springy).

Now, regarding the suggestions:

• Wouldn't the suggestion of letting a lather soak-in overnight affect the badger hair's ability to flex more rather than the reducing the scratchy tips? If so, I am satisfied with the flex in the hair, just the sharp tips need treatment.
  • Regarding hair conditioner suggestion, does this affect both the tips's softness and the hair's flex, or more specifically one?

I found that hair conditioner makes the brush feel softer without changing it's backbone so I guess it just works on the tips. However, as I said don't expect a drastic change.

I found that hair conditioner makes the brush feel softer without changing it's backbone so I guess it just works on the tips. However, as I said don't expect a drastic change.

It helped a little, but as you say, not a drastic change; it is still scratchier than any boar brush I have.

I have two brushes, Best Badger and Pure Badger. The "pure" is certainly more scritchy than the other. One tip (pun intended) is to avoid pressing the bristles straight into your skin. Use a more obiique angle, like you would with a paint brush. You will not feel the sharp tips nearly as much.

Personally, I don't mind the sharp feeling, but I can relate to those who do.

As others have said use conditioner on it. This is a trick makeup artists have been using for a long time on natural and synthetic brushes. I use it on all of my makeup brushes and my shaving brush (which happens to be a kabuki).

I have two brushes, Best Badger and Pure Badger. The "pure" is certainly more scritchy than the other. One tip (pun intended) is to avoid pressing the bristles straight into your skin. Use a more obiique angle, like you would with a paint brush. You will not feel the sharp tips nearly as much.

Personally, I don't mind the sharp feeling, but I can relate to those who do.

I believe I noted it before, but I have had various grades of badger brushes, I know years ago I had a [different brand of] "pure" badger brush and never found it to this sharp. Being that this is a "travel" brush, that unscrews and fits inside the handle, I won't be using it as my full time brush but I figured I'd "break it in" for a while while at home...but the hair has just remained so sharp.

As others have said use conditioner on it. This is a trick makeup artists have been using for a long time on natural and synthetic brushes. I use it on all of my makeup brushes and my shaving brush (which happens to be a kabuki).

Tried it, helped a little, but I will be giving it a few more treatments of conditioner over the next couple days. Thx.

You can also try a hair masque on it. It just super conditioner and the beauty supply stores carry samples for a buck or two. It's usually marketed to women for after a dye job, but it does the trick on my hair.

Top Bottom