What's new

First time poster

Greetings to all B&B members. I have been a lurker for about 1 1/2 years now and decided to finally come out of the shadows. I'm in my sixties and to be honest I never enjoyed or cared about shaving until I tried wet shaving with a DE razor in late 2013. Since then I have come to really enjoy shaving, something I never thought I would say.

Subjects I am especially interested in right now have to do with homemade shaving soaps. I recently made my first bar soap for the bath and am interested in trying my hand at making a shaving soap. I would be interested in hearing from members their thoughts on what should be in a shaving soap (oils, butters etc), and any recommendations for shaving soap making resources and recipes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to say hi.

Welcome to B&B. I applaud your desire to do the DIY approach.

I am sure some will be along that has some more info on this subject.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Welcome to the B and B.

You're one of those old guys.

What is Genesee? Is that a beer that you Love?

Welcome geneseejoe! What shaving gear are you currently using? Any pics?

I can't help you with the soap questions but I will be interested in the answers as this interests me as well.

I took Genesee from the name of a major road near me, Genesee Avenue in San Diego, CA. And I think it has a nice ring to it as far as user names go.

For razors I started with an Edwin Jagger DE89, which I have learned to enjoy more with use. I then went out and bought some old Gilette razors. First was a New style, followed by an Old style. They are my two favorite razors to shave with and of the two I like the Old style best of all.

I also bought a Gilette Travel Tech. I was surprised at how well this razor shaves and will probably buy a fat handle Tech eventually. I'm not crazy about the short handle on the travel model.

Finally I have a Super Speed. I was surprised at how much I enjoy the TTO style of razor. I didn't think it was a big deal but I find I really like it. I didn't get the best shaves with this razor at first but as my technique has improved I am now getting great shave with the Super Speed and really enjoy using it.

For brushes I have two Edwin Jaggers, a boar brush and a pure badger. Definitely prefer the badger over the boar.

For blades I settled on Astra Platinums. I get a lot of great shaves from each blade.

The only shaving soap I have tried is Proraso, both the Sandalwood and the Eucalyptus. Really love these soaps. I also bought some melt and pour soap from Bulk Apothecary that is ok but I wouldn't recommend it. Any shaving soap I make will have to be a lot better than this melt and pour stuff.

For razors I started with an Edwin Jagger DE89, which I have learned to enjoy more with use. I then went out and bought some old Gilette razors. First was a New style, followed by an Old style. They are my two favorite razors to shave with and of the two I like the Old style best of all.

I also bought a Gilette Travel Tech. I was surprised at how well this razor shaves and will probably buy a fat handle Tech eventually. I'm not crazy about the short handle on the travel model.

Finally I have a Super Speed. I was surprised at how much I enjoy the TTO style of razor. I didn't think it was a big deal but I find I really like it. I didn't get the best shaves with this razor at first but as my technique has improved I am now getting great shave with the Super Speed and really enjoy using it.

For brushes I have two Edwin Jaggers, a boar brush and a pure badger. Definitely prefer the badger over the boar.

For blades I settled on Astra Platinums. I get a lot of great shaves from each blade.

The only shaving soap I have tried is Proraso, both the Sandalwood and the Eucalyptus. Really love these soaps. I also bought some melt and pour soap from Bulk Apothecary that is ok but I wouldn't recommend it. Any shaving soap I make will have to be a lot better than this melt and pour stuff.

Looks like you have some great gear!

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of fame and introduce yourself.

Greetings and Welcome. I am 63 and a fairly recent convert to DE shaving. Like you I never enjoyed shaving until I switched to DE and joined B&B.
Having a blast with it now! :biggrin1:

Glad you joined us. Enjoy the shaves!

Top Bottom