What's new

Advice for new DE shaver for a good antiseptic post shave

I am currently waiting on my first DE razor in the mail. And would like some advice on an aftershave product.

Reasons for changing from cartridge:

Hoping to enjoy shaving more
Cost - even though I don't shave much and don't need to buy refills often I hate throwing down $15+ for 4 cartridges.
Hoping to remove one of the steps in my routine and maybe just go to 1 pass until/if I start enjoy shaving more then may do more.​

I am not a daily shaver. I only shave every week to two weeks. Reasons being:
I have a spot on my neck/under chin that has been an issue in the past. Doctor said it was an infected oil glad, and is not pretty when it acts up. After a couple of times of it acting up Doctor said to make sure to wash the area with an antiseptic/antibacterial product after shaving, thinking that it maybe linked to shaving. With this in mind I also started to avoid shaving too much as a preventive measure of irritating it and avoid getting it infected - I also started using running water to rinse the razor to avoid anything that maybe lurking in sink water. It now hasn't been an issue since doing these things.

Me and the wife like a little stubble/5 o clock shadow.

Shaving has never really been fun but don't dislike it either - just another thing that needs to be done such as hair cuts or cutting nails.​

Current Products & Routine:

Gillette Fusion Razor
Gillette Fusion Gel
Irish Spring Hand Soap

----------------------------

I shave and then shower

Most of the time I use use clippers first to trim the hair as it is usually too long and coarse for the razor to do anything or at my mustache area it is less thick and pulls like I don't know what - have to dab at it to thin and shorten it first. (Hoping the DE will eliminate all this).

I usually only do 1 or 2 passes at most. 2 passes: WTG and XTG on face and WTG and ATG on the neck while avoiding the problem area on my neck on the 2nd pass. CCS or SAS shaves are fine. And usually don't need to lather again between passes.

After shaving I usually don't rinse - as I am immediately hoping in the shower and just rinse there.

I take my normal shower while making sure not to get shampoos and etc around my problem area. And then wash the area at the end with the Irish Spring.

Pat dry that area first with clean towel when getting out.​

My skin has never felt dry or irritated doing it this way. Though my face and scalp has a few pimples. I do not associate it with the shaving as my skin and scalp are quite oily and them being in my scalp. They also come and go on my face when I haven't shaved.

All being said I was hoping to change up my routine a bit and follow some of the guides I've read on prep/shaving with hot shower then shave and maybe enjoy shaving a bit as I am sure all you do. And at the same time maybe getting a good product that may help with the few pimples and keeping my problem area in check.

Most of the sites that I have found usually have "sensitive skin" aftershaves listed at the top and I am slightly scared to get a "sensitive skin" product as I've read it could clog pores and don't think the extra stuff would help with my problem area.

Truly I don't think I would mind a splash with alcohol as it is now. I don't shave often and don't think it would dry out my skin, and know it would kill anything that would cause an issue. But I have read that splashes with alcohol makes you more prone to ingrown hairs which would definitely not be good.

So I was hoping for some advice on a good balm that may have alcohol in it or another ingredient that would be just as effective that would also avoid the possible ingrown hairs and get a good killing of germs and prevent the pimples. I know there other ingredients I just don't know where to really start or how effective they would be comparative.

Thanks
Chris

I would recommend going to a shave brush routine to exfoliate the skin and slough off the dead skin cells. Perhaps this will help with the acne and ingrowns by also lifting the whiskers. My guess is a heavy alcohol based splash would help with the acne. Best wishes!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
My favorite AS when all's said and done is witch hazel with tea tree oil added. Smells great and has antiseptic qualities.

Add 1-2mm thick layer on top of the WH (the tea tree oil floats). Shake before use.

AA

The NON-sensitive Nivea post shave balm has alcohol in it if I remember correctly. Very easy to find in most stores.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

For AS - Aqua Velva or Clubman original. Classic scents and lots of alcohol for antiseptic purposes.

My favorite AS when all's said and done is witch hazel with tea tree oil added. Smells great and has antiseptic qualities.

Add 1-2mm thick layer on top of the WH (the tea tree oil floats). Shake before use.

AA

Is this something you throw together yourself or is there a product you can buy?

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

For AS - Aqua Velva or Clubman original. Classic scents and lots of alcohol for antiseptic purposes.

Thanks.

Also thanks to all for all the quick responses.

I think first I will give the Clubman Pinaud After Shave Lotion a try and then maybe the wh/tea tree oil combo.

Also have seen salicylic acid pop up here and there, anyone know any good products that include this?

Welcome to the B&B. Glad you're here.

You might find that the tools of Traditional Shaving, brush, wonderful soaps/creams, and a blade that cuts rather than whacks, might help you with your oil grand issue. Having said that, Speick AS Lotion, which is really a splash, is one of the best rejuvenating splashes on the planet IMHO. You may want to consider the benefits of using an alum block as part of your post shave routine. Not everyone uses alum but in your case, it may be of benefit.

Good luck!

Welcome to the B&B. Glad you're here.

You might find that the tools of Traditional Shaving, brush, wonderful soaps/creams, and a blade that cuts rather than whacks, might help you with your oil grand issue. Having said that, Speick AS Lotion, which is really a splash, is one of the best rejuvenating splashes on the planet IMHO. You may want to consider the benefits of using an alum block as part of your post shave routine. Not everyone uses alum but in your case, it may be of benefit.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot. I will look into those, though don't know what the alum block is.

To start with I just got Billy Jealousy Hydroplane Super-Slick Shave Cream - While the brush and soaps look enjoyable I can't help feel that I might tend to put off shaving with the additional process. So until I see how DE shaving treats me generally and how I like it I will then look into those.

As far as the blade I've read about some of the really sharp ones such as Feathers or some of the Gillettes or Bics but figured that would be a bit much for me starting out so thought of trying Kai or Personna Reds to start off, which I read are fairly sharp but usually a bit more forgiving. I got a sample pack with GSB, Kai, Personna Red, Astra SP, Shark, Pol Silver.

Thanks a lot. I will look into those, though don't know what the alum block is.

To start with I just got Billy Jealousy Hydroplane Super-Slick Shave Cream - While the brush and soaps look enjoyable I can't help feel that I might tend to put off shaving with the additional process. So until I see how DE shaving treats me generally and how I like it I will then look into those.

As far as the blade I've read about some of the really sharp ones such as Feathers or some of the Gillettes or Bics but figured that would be a bit much for me starting out so thought of trying Kai or Personna Reds to start off, which I read are fairly sharp but usually a bit more forgiving. I got a sample pack with GSB, Kai, Personna Red, Astra SP, Shark, Pol Silver.

All of those blades are great. A razor blade by definition is sharp. Some are sharp and some are damn sharp! Feathers are in this last category and are great blades. As always YMMV.

An alum block is a natural mineral, potassium aluminum I believe, and is sold in small blocks. They have an antiseptic quality to them and also gives one feedback as to a spot in the face or neck where one's technique might have been overly aggressive. With daily use an alum nock should last a year or more, unless you drop it! [emoji4]. Here is a link to one for you to research.

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/shavex-alum-block.html

Hope this helps.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Is this something you throw together yourself or is there a product you can buy?

I make it. Tea tree oil comes from the health food store or online. I also keep a bottle of glycerin and one of mineral oil with vitamin E for adding to / tinkering with aftershave formulations.

Witch hazel with Tabac and a few drops glycerin is the latest. Liking it.

AA

I make it. Tea tree oil comes from the health food store or online. I also keep a bottle of glycerin and one of mineral oil with vitamin E for adding to / tinkering with aftershave formulations.

Witch hazel with Tabac and a few drops glycerin is the latest. Liking it.

AA

Sounds good, I'll have to look into to it. Thanks.

kaotiq,

You've certainly come to the right place to find the answer to your shaving problems. There's ALOT of knowledge and expertise here amongst the membership. I hope you're able to find the right combination of things to eliminate or greatly reduce your trouble with that spot you mention. Let us know how it goes and what you settle on.

I personally always HATED shaving and did it maybe 3 days a week only because my profession required it. Now I LOVE shaving and do it 7 days a week. I also have no more rash on my neck and ingrown hairs on neck are almost unheard of since switching to DE.

kaotiq,

You've certainly come to the right place to find the answer to your shaving problems. There's ALOT of knowledge and expertise here amongst the membership. I hope you're able to find the right combination of things to eliminate or greatly reduce your trouble with that spot you mention. Let us know how it goes and what you settle on.

I personally always HATED shaving and did it maybe 3 days a week only because my profession required it. Now I LOVE shaving and do it 7 days a week. I also have no more rash on my neck and ingrown hairs on neck are almost unheard of since switching to DE.

Thanks!

It is going well, I ended up getting a brush and soap as well. So right now my gear consists of:

Razor: PAA Symmetry
Wanted a OC because I usually would have a good amount of growth. Choice was between RazoRock Jaws or Parker 26C. Wanted something more medium than mild so was leaning towards Jaws but couldn't find it anywhere or its other branded versions. Then found the Symmetry and many stated if it wasn't the same head as the Jaws they couldn't tell. So went with it, and really like it, though don't have anything to compare to except my Fusion.

Blades: I have tried Astra SP, Kai, and Shark.
Since I am an newb I'm sure my technique needs a lot of work, but the Astras seemed to do the best out of those. Going to try GSB next the maybe Personna Lab Blues.

Brush: RazoRock Synthetic & Satin Tip Purest
Both are very nice and do well, they seem to feel about and perform the same, but have been using the Satin Tip more as it just looks so good - don't have anything to reference them to though.

Soap: RazoRock XXX
Smells good and has been doing well - have since ordered some Reefpoint Dragon's Blood, waiting on it in the mail.

And the Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud
Went with this because of all the high reviews and price - I really like it and smells great and feels good. I like the smell and so does the wife but as soon as she smelled it, she said "You smell like my grandpa" lol, which I understand. I would really like to find a scent in the same family with a modern twist to it.

So looking now at maybe ordering some the the PAA aftershaves as they seem to have just about everything in them you could want. Also looking at GingersGarden's, Reefspoint's, and Fine's as well - just wish I could get a sample of them, so many fragrances and don't know which to commit to. Fine has the samples just not the others.

Overall:
I had a little irritation at that spot on my neck after one shave and was a bit worrisome but it went away without much of an issue, forgetting that - I am really enjoying the traditional shaving - I have shaved more in the last two weeks than I have in all of 2015 and probably a little longer.​

Top Bottom