What's new

What is it? Name that razor :

OK, let's see who knows something about this obscure razor I found.
View attachment 575387View attachment 575388View attachment 575389View attachment 575390View attachment 575391

The box is a little rough, but says: " Made for The White Hardware Co., Dealers in Hardware and Farm Implements, Burr Oak, Kansas, Guide Rock, Neb., $1.00. There is another word that is partially obscured, the letters that are there appear to be: Pria , but it looks like that's only the first part of the word. It is a two piece razor and the top head piece is loose on the head until you put a blade in, and then it tightens as you slip on the head. Printed across the head is: PAT'D Aug. 31, 1909. Who can tell us what this is?? :a52: Another question might be that since it obviously uses proprietary blades, are there any blades that can be converted to use with this razor? Thanks,
Cleave

Sorry, didn't mean to put this in twice... hopefully the moderators will remove this one. Thanks

A single edge safety razor manufactured by the Unsinger Razor Blade Co. The inventor of this razor is Phillip H. Unsinger. There were a few variations of this razor which were mainly sold to hardware companies.

I own two of them notice how one of them has the same "PAT'D Aug 31, 1909" stamp? It was sold under the name Adelene. Most of these were shipped in simple cardboard cases. I refer to these generically as Unsinger razors.

You will also find Unsinger razors sold under the names: Globe, Curbo, Hodes & Hyman, Majestic and Adelene 1909.

$Adelene 11.jpg

$Unsingers 4.jpg

$ReaRazor 3.jpg

Last edited:
As for the proprietary blade issue, yes, Unsinger razors used proprietary razor blades. The good news is that they can accommodate a modern single edge razor blade (even an injector blade).

The picture below demonstrates a modern Gem blade installed into the razor. You will need to remove the spine off a modern Gem blade. I position the Gem blade behind the nubs/blade stops of the razor. I then slide the cover into place (while holding the blade in the right position). I have also created a mod (from a plastic strip) to accommodate an injector blade.

A few owners of this particular Unsinger razor variant have a hard time installing a modern Gem into place. My Unsinger razor does not have this issue.

$Adelene 5.jpg

Has anyone tried a Feather for AutoStrop razors in an Unsinger? I just loaded one in mine and it looks like the gap is about half as much as the gap in your middle picture above... should that work OK? Thanks

Has anyone tried a Feather for AutoStrop razors in an Unsinger? I just loaded one in mine and it looks like the gap is about half as much as the gap in your middle picture above... should that work OK? Thanks

As long as the Feather fits there should be NO problem. Letting the blade seat all the way back (creating more gap) tames the Unsinger. Seating the blade snug behind the nubs/blade stops makes it a bit aggressive. You might have a completely different shaving experience (then I do) with the way you set the blade.

As long as the Feather fits there should be NO problem. Letting the blade seat all the way back (creating more gap) tames the Unsinger. Seating the blade snug behind the nubs/blade stops makes it a bit aggressive. You might have a completely different shaving experience (then I do) with the way you set the blade.

I shaved with the Unsinger this morning with the Feather blade that fits the single edge Valet Auto Strop razors. It was a very nice comfortable shave. I used two passes, one WTG and one ATG and got a nice close shave. Thanks for the info, guys! I was looking through some of my old razors and found another one, exactly like the one I pictured in this thread yesterday but in better condition. Thanks again.

Can someone tell me what this is it was made by the same designer
I have seen one before. I forget if it was a nail file or a knife. You should be able to peel the plastic "stick" out where the thumb indention is, then slide the bottom upward. Then tuck the plastic "stick" back into the handle upside down, front now toward the back.

Top Bottom