What's new

Cattaraugus Injun No. 9

So I'm getting into the idea of honing. I have 8 razors with which I can practice, all but one are full hollow ground, the exception being a pre-1900 W&B full wedge that I'm currently restoring. My predicament came when I started looking at hones; Norton, Naniwa, Coticule, all regularly being sold for over $100 new. With the progressions required to produce an shave ready edge, you all know that this can get very expensive very quickly.
So I hit the Bay. I've already purchased some second hand stones from a seller, which all appear to be a lower grit. I found this Cattaraugus Injun No. 9, which by all accounts, seems to be in the 10k-12k range. Has anyone ever heard of this particular hone, our better yet had the pleasure or displeasure of owning and using one? What are your thoughts? How much would you conceivably spend on this particular hone? Thanks in advance guys!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
10-12k for a B-hone might be a bit of a stretch, maybe not. I've never used that one

6 x 2 inch Soft Ark/Black Ark Combo from Dan's around 78 clams. This will do it all.

I wouldn't mess with barbers hones. Never met one I liked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some barber hones perform well in some people's hands, not so well in others.
Whatever the reasons are - that's how it is.
That Chattagarus looks to be an interesting hone. I won't comment on value since to do so would violate the TOU.

I almost bought one of them recently. I passed on it but they are supposed to be a decent b-hone. Of course if I was looking for something to give me great edges and not just a collector piece I would look elsewhere.

Get a coticule if you need a sort of 1 stone hone. Add a slurry stone and you can do quite a bit of work, from bevel refreshing(notice I don't say "setting") to finishing. Add some crox and you can even get to the hyper sharp levels

In my very limited experience, and possible over enthusiasm, I purchased a Cattaraugus Razor Hone.. Except for a slight bit of damage way out on the end of the molded logo, the artificial stone seems unused. The OP called his a "#9". Mine has no identifying marks to denote a model number.
Anyone have info about this manufacture, or can lead me to knowing what grit this hone is?
$10022015c.gif
$10022015d.gif

Looks very much like a swaty-like material.
The artwork is cool enough for me to want it though.

If you want to learn to hone your going to have to get other stones.

I use a very similar b-hone to refresh my edge and every so often send my razor out.
however, you can go a long time with one of these. It will maintain a good edge.

B-hone... is that like in the progression to finer grit, this is "B"?

If I understand; this is a touch-up stone. Not coarse for setting bevels, nor fine for best finish. This is what I use to occasionally maintain and freshen an edge?

I have several vintage straights recently acquired. Gonna work up my nerve to see if I can bring an old unit back to service before I attempt sharpening on my Sight Unseen from Larry.

Top Bottom