What's new

Need help finding something SWMBO will love

So here's my dilemma...

I love the classic Pinaud Clubman, BUT, SWMBO, in no certain terms, has let me know that she pretty much loathes the stuff (sad, I know). I do know that she loves the smell of my Boellis Panama shave soap (really anything almond related).

My question is:

Is there an AS (whether it be balm, splash, etc) that smells like Boellis? I know I'd rather wear something that is not only pleasing to me, but also pleasing to the person I spend most of my time with.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Horvy, I feel your pain. My wife dislikes MOST of my aftershaves (think classic, barbershop type scents). Mine prefers the more "modern" type smells. I'm not familiar with Boellis, but my wife really likes the Proraso Green scent. Only problem with that one is that the scent doesnt last too long. Women compliment my 1911 Neumann aftershave quite a bit also, wife included.

My advice would be to go to Maggards website and order a bunch of samples of different aftershaves. Sit down with your wife and see which ones you both like. Maggards has a great sample selection and they are quick shippers. Good luck!

Great suggestion! I thought about doing that, but I haven't yet. I will definitely get that order in soon!

So here's my dilemma...

I love the classic Pinaud Clubman, BUT, SWMBO, in no certain terms, has let me know that she pretty much loathes the stuff (sad, I know).
I'm in the same boat, and I feel your pain.

I can't help, but I wish you luck on your quest.

I just bought Lucky Tiger because the wife couldn't stand AV. So far I like it, although I miss the burn of AQ. LT has a nice orange smell that dissipates very quickly.

I'm with your wife.
Simply can't stand the stink of that stuff.
One to maybe consider...one that my wife absolutely loves...I happen to like a a great deal as well...
Still along the lines of that old-school barbery shoppy scent...
Fine American Blend.

Thanks for the tips and g/l wishes! Hopefully I find something that she isn't opposed to. I typically don't tell her when I don't like her scents, but that's because she's SWMBO haha, but I understand that if she's practically repulsed by something, it's not something that I'd want to wear around her. I'm sure we'll eventually settle on "the one", but for the time being, the hunt will be fun (for me at least).

I'm with your wife.
One to maybe consider...one that my wife absolutely loves...I happen to like a a great deal as well...
Fine American Blend.

My wife goes crazy when I wear Fine American Blend. The ONLY thumbs up AS that I have.

Not almond scented but WM Neumann 1911 is SWMBO approved. Also likes Proraso green as it is subtle and fades fast. Musco Real Classic would round out her top 3.

Good luck on your search.... keep in mind though, just when you think you got this all figured out, everything will change by 180 degrees before you know what happened.... trust me - I know ;-)

Thanks for the replies everyone! and mr_eleven, I can only imagine...I know when the weather changes, so does she, but I'm just hoping to find one thing she really likes so it's not always "Eh, that's not great"

This was alluded to before in the post about buying sample from Maggard's. Go together to the men's fragrance counter of a department store and have her pick what she likes from the testers; problem solved. You don't have to buy it there and pay full retail, shop online or keep your eyes peeled at resellers like TJ Maxx, I've found brands like Burberry, Polo, and Tommy Bahama at those. I don't have a reply on what to do if and when she ever changes her mind except to do it again.

This was alluded to before in the post about buying sample from Maggard's. Go together to the men's fragrance counter of a department store and have her pick what she likes from the testers; problem solved. You don't have to buy it there and pay full retail, shop online or keep your eyes peeled at resellers like TJ Maxx, I've found brands like Burberry, Polo, and Tommy Bahama at those. I don't have a reply on what to do if and when she ever changes her mind except to do it again.

Great idea! I don't know why I never thought of that, thanks!

Eau de quinine. Has an odd odor at first, almost like dr pepper but not quite, but I think I can smell almond after it dries down. Makes a great aftershave and tonic. Cheap enough to try out without dropping big money.

I'm with your wife.
Fine American Blend.
+1 Also like l' orange noir and both of the vetivers by Fine.

Another +1 for Fine American Blend. You can please almost any woman by having a variety of Fine aftershaves. They're all great, just find the ones that work for your skin type. The Italian Citrus and the lavender one have been discontinued, I think, but, the ones that remain are all solid. You can get samples from Maggards.

Top Bottom