What's new

Love this Dremel bit!

I recently started restoring brushes and I have a lot to learn - - but I have found a great bit for removing old bristles and epoxy, enlarging the diameter of the hole if necessary, and even deepening it and cleaning up the bottom. Here is why I like it:
1) it is a cylinder shape with straight sides and a flat bottom. that means it cuts nice straight sided holes with no cavities on the sides that might need to be filled with epoxy.
2) it eats old bristles and glue without clogging - - and its fast!
3) it has burrs (cutters) on the bottom flat face so I can deepen the hole easily, gradually and with great control. No worries about drilling too deep with a drill bit.
4) it comes in fine, coarse and extra coarse grits. I am using the coarse (green) one at about 15,000rpm. I think I will get a fine one to gently enlarge the diameter to exactly fit my knot.
5) it leaves grooves or tracks in the cut surface that will provide a good bonding surface for adhesives.

Here are a couple of pics and a link to Highland Woodworking's site where I bought it.

$IMG_4126.jpg$IMG_4130.jpg$IMG_4133.jpg

Here is the link:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/saburr-tooth-carbide-burrs-332-shank.aspx

I hope you find this info useful. Have a great day gents!

Thanks for tip Sheb! That Highland Woodworking's Dremel Bit worked great. I ordered the fine (yellow) bit too.

Great! I am glad you liked the bit. Let me know how the fine one works. I've been thinking about getting one.

Those bits look good... any idea if there is something out there for use with ceramic handles? These specifically say its a no-no. I have a vintage ceramic brush incoming that I want to re-knot.

Those bits look good... any idea if there is something out there for use with ceramic handles? These specifically say its a no-no. I have a vintage ceramic brush incoming that I want to re-knot.

yep get a diamond bit. It looks the same except for being silver coloured and has a very fine Diamond grit. I used one on my Maws pottery handle from the 1920s. Have a practice on a coffee cup before taking it to the vintage ceramic handle.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...black-glazed-pottery-shaving-brush-circa-1930

Thanks for the input newo! Maybe a diamond bit would be a good addition to my kit too. Didn't know there was such a thing for Dremel tools.

I checked with Highland Woodworking and they do have the diamond bits for Dremel. They have two sets, one of small bits and one of larger ones. Here is a link to the larger size, which looks to me like it might be best for brush handles. If you search on their site for item numbers 19401 and 19402 you can see both sets. Hope this helps.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/8pclargediamondburrset.aspx

I recently started restoring brushes and I have a lot to learn - - but I have found a great bit for removing old bristles and epoxy, enlarging the diameter of the hole if necessary, and even deepening it and cleaning up the bottom. Here is why I like it:
1) it is a cylinder shape with straight sides and a flat bottom. that means it cuts nice straight sided holes with no cavities on the sides that might need to be filled with epoxy.
2) it eats old bristles and glue without clogging - - and its fast!
3) it has burrs (cutters) on the bottom flat face so I can deepen the hole easily, gradually and with great control. No worries about drilling too deep with a drill bit.
4) it comes in fine, coarse and extra coarse grits. I am using the coarse (green) one at about 15,000rpm. I think I will get a fine one to gently enlarge the diameter to exactly fit my knot.
5) it leaves grooves or tracks in the cut surface that will provide a good bonding surface for adhesives.

Here are a couple of pics and a link to Highland Woodworking's site where I bought it.

View attachment 574282View attachment 574283View attachment 574284

Here is the link:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/saburr-tooth-carbide-burrs-332-shank.aspx

I hope you find this info useful. Have a great day gents!

Thank you for sharing that. That bit looks like the perfect tool for removing these brushes.

I use one similar to that, but made for a drill. I have one that has cutting flutes like a drill bit as well. They work great for knot removal, but they work even better IMHO for widening the holes to larger sizes.

I use one similar to that, but made for a drill. I have one that has cutting flutes like a drill bit as well. They work great for knot removal, but they work even better IMHO for widening the holes to larger sizes.

Those sounds very interesting. Could you post a photo of them for us to see? Are they both for use in a drill? Or is one for Dremel?

And thanks for for your comment on the brush! I posted the photo before I finished polishing it. I'll try to post a finished one in a little while. That Finest F2 goes great with your black handle!

That is a very cool find! I'll just have to get a set of these, they'll be perfect for restorations/handle making and I'm sure I'll find some other uses for them too! Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom