What's new

Your travel setups.

Gentlemen! Curious about your travel setups for shaving. I haven't really traveled properly since I stared wet shaving a few months ago, but I have a few weddings to attend this summer, etc and will be hauling across the country a couple of times and I'm curious about ideas for effectively traveling with shaving gear, so I'd like to see what you've got. Any and all ideas appreciated. Go.

A synthetic brush is excellent, it dries very quickly and it still whips up a nice lather, i got mine from Whipped Dog they have amazing value and great customer service. Plus you can store it in an empty toilet paper roll to protect the bristles

For razor, i was lucky to get a 4 piece travel razor by RazoRock, it was their Mission razor. The handle breaks down into two pieces and it all fits in a small leather pouch. Look for a travel handle like that for your current head

I use shave sticks and creams on the road, both are convenient and easy to lather

Preshave i use 3p it has a durable container, post shave i will use my Osma alum and any plastic bottled aftershave. Should all fit in a nice dopp bag. I was at the cottage the past weekend and my wife packed my dopp bag and i was so happy to unzip to see this.
proxy.php

All I can say is…keep it simple! Some guys go really overboard, and pack several brushes, several soaps, razors…you get the idea. I have travelled a bit since wet shaving for the last few years, and I like keeping it simple as it makes it more enjoyable when you’re not lugging a tonne of ‘crap’ with you.
When I travelled around Europe, I took my Parker SR1 shavette, Arko shaving stick, small Shave Factory Boar Brush, small pack of Shark Half Blades for the shavette, and a styptic pencil, and some kind of moisturising lotion. And the last time I travelled, I packed my Muhle safety razor instead, pre-loaded with a blade, my Edwin Jagger brush, Arko.

It really depends so much on how long you’re travelling for. If only a few days, a week or so, then 1 compact setup is all you need. I happily lived off one setup for 5 weeks around Europe and it performed perfectly. Although I was happy to come back to my nice straight razor and soap collection back home!! ;)

Please be mindful of this though – if you are flying then you must be very careful to not pack blades in your carry on luggage. Only keep such items in checked luggage. If you’re driving, go for your life J
Also, brush wise, many like to travel with a synthetic brush, if you won’t have the time/opportunity to allow a natural hair/bristle brush to dry properly. If you’ll be in one location, then you should be ok with any brush, really.

Travelling and shaving is fun, so at the end of the day just do what works best for you!

i bought a calvin klein travel kit from ross for 9 bucks.. in there i put a shave stick that i made, my merkur 34c wrapped with cheesecloth to keep it from getting scratches, my omega synthetic brush.. and the blades go in a emptied out hard plastic case that the feathers come in.. 10 blades fit in one and you can dispose them in that pack so dual purpose.. for the shave stick i bought empty shave stick containers from West Coast Shaving. 1.35 each twist container, bought stirling soaps and pressed them into the stick containers since it is a soft soap that can be molded.. different scent in each stick.. i have MITA in one for menthol, and Sharp Dressed man in the other... one soap fills two stick containers.. 2 oz containers, 4 oz soap.. and a small sample size aftershave goes into the bag as well.. boom DONE!

For short trips, I usually bring a Bump Fighter handle and Personna Trac II style refills, a synthetic brush, and an Arko stick. When I can check in baggage I bring a lot more.

I am writing this many thousands of miles away from home and this time I've brought a Feather Popular, a vintage Travel Tech, and a modern four piece travel razor which has what seems to be a Mission head. I have both a synthetic brush and a boar. I have Arko stick, Razorock Classic soap, and Nivea shaving cream. I also have some Gillette aftershave gel and a L'Oreal lotion as well. And I have an electric as a backup plus the Trac II getup for intermediate trips with only carry-on. Since i will be in one place most of the time, i brought an assortment of blades to amuse myself, including Feather, GSB, Astra, Shark, Dorco, Sputnik, and Nacet. I also picked up locally some Arko cream and aftershave. Both are just ok, but good to have in the rotation here.

For me it depends on how, where and for how long. The kit I take for 2-3 days via flying, is much different that the kit I use for my international trips that may last 3 months.
currently I am on a 3 week vacation in our travel trailer, I have a different kit for that as well.
For the most part, I use a Kent turn back that I converted to a synthetic knot. I use creams that I put into silicone travel tubes. 2x times the blades that I think I will need, travel tends to damage blades in a razor.
I use a squishable silicone bowl as a lather bowl, I breakable and can be squished into whatever space I have. They can be gotten at REI.

That's about it.

KISS is the way to go. I take a tub of Proraso green, L'occitane synthetic brush, regular size raxor, small aftershave. Nothing complex.

KISS is the way to go. I take a tub of Proraso green, L'occitane synthetic brush, regular size raxor, small aftershave. Nothing complex.

:lol:

I too keep it simple, regardless of duration. 1 soap or cream, 1 brush (synthetic) and 1 aftershave. If it's a weekend, a Bic disposable. If I'm gone for a month on an audit and checking luggage, then a typically DE and blades.

I always have my kit ready for a trip. I have a large Tumi hanging bag which contains the following shaving items in it:

• Gillette Red Tip razor. This is my exclusive travel razor.
  • A Muhle synthetic shaving brush.
  • Two packs of razor blades. Currently Personna Reds and Lord SS blades.
  • Two shave sticks. Currently Wilkinson and de Vergulde.
  • One small tube of Bigelow shaving cream.
  • One styptic pencil.
  • 1 travel size container filled with Thayers WH.
  • 1 travel size container filled with Aqua Velva.
  • One small salsa bowl.

My travel kit consists of a Progress, Semogue 820, La Toja shaving stick, a pack of blades, and some balm (whatever I feel like grabbing that day--usually Cade). It doesn't take up a whole heck of a lot of room.

Although boar takes a long time to dry, which inevitably means some time shut in my Dopp kit while the knot is still damp, I don't worry about it too much. The brush hasn't suffered any ill effects.

Having gone back to traditional shaving for less than a year, my travel kit includes two disposable razors, a travel-sized can of shaving cream, and a bottle of after shave. Have packed an electric instead of the disposables. Not many years after I started shaving, I carried my Schick Adjustable, which has a slide-operated blade guard for travel. Given the rarity of SE razors these days, I'm loath to travel with it.

My dissatisfaction with my disposable shaves (Gillette Good News) on my last trip has me thinking about a travel DE. Substituting it for the disposables would be a workable option. Unless it's something like a shaving stick and a travel brush, don't see myself getting more elaborate.

I always check a bag when I fly, so I don't worry about blades, TSA, etc. I pack a Samsonite zipper, nylon bag with a top flap that is ½ mesh, to allow drying. Here is what is in it:
User grade Gillette Goodwill (New style head) in a plastic razor box from a Cadet razor with a ball-end handle and a heavier Baili brass handle.
Two tucks of blades, usually Astra SP's and Voskhods.
l'Occitane Plisson synthetic brush in a Muhle tube.
Small size tube of C.O. Bigelow (Proraso Green) shaving cream.
Tub of Cella.
Proraso Pre-/Post-Shave Balm
Small metal bowl that I stole from a set of graduated bowls in my kitchen :thumbup1:.
Mennen Afta.
Styptic pencil (rarely used, but important when needed).

My travel is all by air, and I hate to check bags (leaving DE out of the question). My setup:

* Simpson Wee Scott brush with Simpson travel tube
* Stick of LA Shaving Soap
* Small samples of AS (I refill my Garry's containers)
* Gillette Sensor

I can't get BBS with this setup but a respectable DFS which is good enough. Since taking up this "hobby" I've learned a lot about angles, technique and beard mapping, which helps get a better result than I used to get with the Sensor.

The only downside is I need to be really careful on day 1 after returning. Was on the road the early part of this week with the above set up, and found myself applying pressure to my trusty Merkur this morning. Caught myself before any wounds were inflicted.

For right now my travel set up has been my Atra some Personna Twin carts, a travel size can of Edge or Nivea and a travel plastic bottle with some Witch Hazel. Most of the time my travels include a short fishing trip or a laid back vacation so I am not too interested in shaving on a regular basis. Down the road I can see me ditching the Edge in favor of a soap stick such as Arko and either taking my Omega 66 Boar or possibly buying a synthetic brush. Never say never but I don't see me taking a DE razor with me. But who knows?

Travel size tube of CO Bigelow (Proraso)
cheap VdH brush with a cheap plastic stand (both fit in the same pocket of my LL Bean hang bag)
EJ DE86 in an old eyeglass case along with a pack of razors
Witch hazel in a small hand sanitizer bottle
Noir aftershave lotion from bath & body works, which I can't seem to find anymore

DE in travel pouch, Arko in plastic twist container, Muhle STF 19mm, blades, and aftershave splash decanted into plastic travel bottle. However, I'm going away for a few weeks soon and am probably going to sub in a jar of MLS or B&M...

As with others here, I maintain a straightforward travel kit just in case I need to go. For my travel needs, I use an Eagle Creek Pack-It Wallaby Organizer with the following:

SHAVING BRUSH: Trumper Pure Badger TravelBrush [in travel case]
PRE-SHAVE CREAM: Proraso Menthol & Eucalyptus Pre & PostCream [in 4 inch spill proof low profile plastic jar]
SHAVING CREAM: Simpsons' Sandalwood ShavingCream
RAZOR: Gillette 1963 Slim Adjustable TTO DE [inParker Leather Safety Razor Travel Pouch]
RAZOR BLADE: Feather Double Edge RazorBlades, 10pk
TRAUMA CARE: RazoRock Alum Stick
COLOGNE: Penhaligon's Opus 1870 EDT [in Penhaligon'stravel atomiser]
BODYWASH/SOAP: Cade Shower Gel
SHAMPOO: D.R. Harris Coconut Shampoo Bar
DEODORANT: Eau des Baux Stick Deodorant
HAIRBRUSH: Kent Oval Cherry wood [travel-size]

Over my 30+ years of traveling, I found this to be the minimum required to meet my needs. Toothbrush, toothpaste, small spill-proof container of mouthwash, floss also included.

Here is my current setup, Bambino brush, TOBS(in the round container), razor (either EJ Kelvin or 42C), sample size AS. Everything else in my DOPP is just a travel size of my regular items.

$20150508_204905.jpg

Top Bottom