What's new

1911 Suggestions

Hey guys,

I've never been steered wrong here in the past so I am back for your opinions. I am definitely getting a full size 1911 in the not too distant future, always wanted one. I just wanted to know your opinions. I am basically down to two different 1911s, a Sig Sauer or a S&W. I know Sigs seemed to have some quality control issues a few years back and wanted to know what your experiences were. I would have to say I'm leaning toward a Sig right now. I just like the way they look better (Also I hate the S&W slide billboard) and I like the fact that the Sig comes with Novak night sights. They both feel really similar to me. What do you think guys? Sig? S&W? Toss up?

Thanks!

What is the intended use of this firearm? Self-defense might benefit from night sights. But tritium dots will eventually need to be replaced. I'm not a big fan of adding an external extractor to John Browning's design.

If I had to choose from those it would be a different. I had a scorpion carry and loved it.

You might also check out Springfield Armory. The trp is an excellent firearm.

Sorry I always forget my intended use. This is basically just a range fun-time gun.

I'd get a ruger or a rock island armory. Best values on 1911's out in the market in my honest opinion.

Sig. over the S&W. However, if you're just wanting a good reliable "range, woods, fun-time" 1911, check out the Rock Islands as Dan-O suggested. I have a GI model and love it, not as nice as the Sig. or S&W, but definately just as reliable. Plus, you can't beat the price.

I'm a confessed RIA fan boy (GI models in .45 and 9mm), but it seems that Jim is looking for a pistol at a price point that gets him some choices in grips, finishes, and sights. Let's not try to dissuade him from buying something nice instead of utilitarian.

Rock Island is the way to go for value for your dollar. They are great guns that just work and have lifetime guarantee.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Okay, since no one has said it yet...maybe the original .45 ACP brand... Colt Gold Cup , which would be great for range time. I saw one listed for right at $1,000, and another ad for a bit under that I believe, and it had the Series 70 firing system.

I haven't seen one of the new manufactured ones, but a friend of my that I worked with carried a Series 70 one. He had also spent 8 years with the U.S. Border Patrol and was on their pistol team (look up their record), along with some other police departments. I could shoot the X ring out of a B27 silhouette target out to 15 yards, and keep the rest in the 10 or 9 ring at 25 yards with it. Wasn't too long after that I bought a series 80 3.5 inch Officers Model ACP and sent it off to Wilson's for quite a bit of work, but the little 3.5 inch doesn't shoot as good as the 5 inch Gold Cup did.

Oh, I didn't answer your original question did I? I don't have any experience with the Sig or S&W 1911s.

We're not enablers here, really we're not. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
On the other hand, I NEVER had any luck with the series 70's. The three I tried were OK for range work, but quit ( stove pipes/FTF etc) on me too often to think about serious carry.

I carry a Colt 1911 every day, however, it is a Series 80 (enhanced) stainless Combat Commander. It's bone stock except for a flat back mainspring housing.

As for the OP's question, I've always been fond of SIG stuff, but not enough to carry it or pay their price for 100 year old technology clones.

Between those 2, Sig. If you are open to other options, Springfield TRP. In my opinion, and many others, probably the best production 1911 that can be had.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the answers and have a lot to mull over. I'll let you know what ultimately happens!

In my opinion go with Colt. Everything else is a clone. Colt .45 automatics from 1905, 1918, 1947, 1979, and 2014 live here. All are well-mannered and trouble-free in operation and so gratifying to own.

Personally, I would pick Sig over S&W 95% of the time. However, in the 1911 category, I'd pick Kimber over both of those 100% of the time.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Personally, I would pick Sig over S&W 95% of the time. However, in the 1911 category, I'd pick Kimber over both of those 100% of the time.

Yes, two Kimbers here (9 mm and .45) and also a S&W, would take the Kimber over most of the 1911 styles out there.

Kimber and series 70 colt here.

I don't shoot enough to give advice.

They both feel good in the hand. Colt is more accurate because of bbl length (duh).

Plus these two were built for different purposes $uploadfromtaptalk1431170324184.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a confessed RIA fan boy (GI models in .45 and 9mm), but it seems that Jim is looking for a pistol at a price point that gets him some choices in grips, finishes, and sights. Let's not try to dissuade him from buying something nice instead of utilitarian.

This. We bought a used one of these for our Son for Christmas, and its been nothing but reliable. Rather than spend $700 plus on a fun gun, pay the lower cost, and spend the extra cash on ammo and a few spare mags.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
On the other hand, I NEVER had any luck with the series 70's. The three I tried were OK for range work, but quit ( stove pipes/FTF etc) on me too often to think about serious carry.

Did you try different recoil spring weights? The friend of mine's Gold Cup worked like a Swiss watch.

I'd recommend the SIG 1911 TACOPS over the Smith. Save a bit of candy, you'll get the same reliable performance and "high-speed low-drag" looking range runner.

For anyone looking to own one all-around fantastic 1911 in the same price range, look to the STI Trojan. For plinking, or if down the line you'd like to do some pin shooting or light competition, it's a winner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom