What's new

Chubby 1 & Classic 2 users - need some advice as to specs (loft) and your opinions

I have a Chubby 1 Best with a loft at about 46-47mms pre-bloom. I love the handle and the feel of the tips. I just wish the loft was a bit shorter.

My second brush is a Rooney 1/1 with a 44mm loft. I like this loft a bit more but it lacks the density and softness of the Chubby. I also wish the loft was slightly higher.

Simple math would say get a brush that is 45mm in height.

I know this may sound ridiculous but I just thought I would check before buying a somewhat expensive brush.

**Does density play role in the loft of a brush or is it just common sense (height is a stagnant variable)?

Also, these specs for a Chubby 1 are only available in Super.

**Would a low loft make the brush feel less soft thus defeating the purpose of buying a higher grade of hair?

**Should I just go for the Classic 2? If so, how would you rate the softness of this brush?

I apologize if I come across as dense but I would buy from Superior Shave where there are no returns.

Take care,
Jason

I have a Rooney 1/1 silvertip, two Chubby 1 (best and 2-band silvertip), and a Simpsons CL2 in best. The CL2 has more backbone than both the CH1 best and Rooney 1/1, and the tips are just as soft as the silvertip. In fact, I think the current Simpsons best is softer than the current Roooney silvertip. The old Rooney supers from a years ago are still softer though. Anyway, hope that helps. The CL2 is truly a Chubby 0.5!

I found that I enjoyed my Case more than my chubby 1.....

proxy.php

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I may try out the CL2, but I will see what else I can find out.

I also appreciate the pics as well. If anyone else wants to chime in, please feel free.

My only concern for the CL2 was that the tips may be too prickley. I like a balanced feel of sturdiness and softness, if this makes any sense.
Glad to hear it is on par with the Rooney 1/1.

Take care,
Jason

I've been trying to determine which Simpson to buy also, looks like the CL2 might be a good option. It's interesting that it's so much les expensive than the Chubby.....

I have a Chubby 1 Best with a loft at about 46-47mms pre-bloom. I love the handle and the feel of the tips. I just wish the loft was a bit shorter.

My second brush is a Rooney 1/1 with a 44mm loft. I like this loft a bit more but it lacks the density and softness of the Chubby. I also wish the loft was slightly higher.

**Does density play role in the loft of a brush or is it just common sense (height is a stagnant variable)?

**Would a low loft make the brush feel less soft thus defeating the purpose of buying a higher grade of hair?

**Should I just go for the Classic 2? If so, how would you rate the softness of this brush?

I apologize if I come across as dense but I would buy from Superior Shave where there are no returns.

Jason

1) Density has nothing to do with loft.
2) A low loft will make the bristles seem stiffer, but the quality of the hair probably matters more. A low loft in Simpsons Super will still feel softer than a high loft in Simpsons Pure.
3) If the Classic 2 has the loft and knot size you want, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. One nice thing about B&B is that it is easy to resell brushes that turn out to be not quite you.

I have a CL2 and a Chubby 2. I would agree that the CL2 is a CH.5. It is an enjoyable brush with great backbone. Good luck.

I went with the CL2. Looking forward to trying out a new Simpson.

This is my 3rd brush in 1.5 years, but will it be the last? hmmm

Top Bottom