What's new

Clash of the titans: Wolfman vs ATT

Here is my comparative review between the ATT S2 and Wolfman Wr1-OC razors:

I have the great fortune of possessing two truly great works of art: The ATT S2 and WR1-OC razors.
Both DE razors are fully machines machined from solid stainless steel. How do they feel and perform?
read on.... (As always YMMV)

Look and feel:

Both razors look amazing in person. They both have precise blade alignment, and the machines parts
are set at very tight tolerances. Not all stainless is equal, and the WR1-OC is made from superior 316 grade
stainless (vs 303 for ATT). Both razors weigh in the 120 gram + category. Handles types are personal
preference, and each manufacturer offers several types to suit tastes.

Use:

I can achieve a BBS+ with each razor - but the similarities end there. The WR1-OC, while maybe a hair less
efficient that the ATT S2, offers me a much more comfortable shave. The WR1-OC razor glides over my skin
with ease. There is much more drag when using the ATT S2. I can "feel" this smoothness by applying soap to my
finger and rubbing the cap of the razor. It feels like the WR1-OC has a more teflon like surface. This translates into
easier handling, and comfort for my shave. Is this the superior stainless material of the WR1-OC at play? Both razors
handle stubble with ease, and work with a variety of blades. In addition, t
he balance of the WR1-OC is excellent. The
razor is on the heavy side, but feels more maneuverable than the ATT S2 which is approximately the same overall weight.
This
helps me maintain a light touch when shaving. SWMBO cannot tell the difference in post shave smoothness whichever
razor I use. The WR1-OC and ATT S2 are easily superior to my Merkur 39C and Edwin Jagger 3D razors.

Intangibles:

The ATT razors are readily available, but there is a waiting list for Wolfman razor heads. I believe this adds to the exclusivity
of owning a Wolfman razor. ATT is made in the USA, Wolfman in Canada.

Summary:

The WR1-OC will remain the primary razor in my stable for some time. If you have the opportunity to buy just one SS
razor, it is definitely worth the wait to acquire a Wolfman Razor. Please view the classified link below if you are in the
market for an ATT S2.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/classifieds.php?listing=att-s2-w-colossus-handle-194645

$FullSizeRender (1).jpg$FullSizeRender (1) copy.jpg

Last edited:
I noticed you are selling the ATT. Somebody needs to jump on that one, it is a great price for a great razor! Good luck with the sale.

I have an ATT M1, M2, S1, and S2 (Atlas & Kronos) and a Wolfman DC with #1 handle. I would concur wholeheartedly with your review. Both razors are impeccable in their production, however the Wolfman is now the #1 razor in my rotation. I probably use it 75% of my shaves. It is so well balanced and as you stated, just glides over my face removing any whiskers in it's way.

I have an ATT M1, M2, S1, and S2 (Atlas & Kronos) and a Wolfman DC with #1 handle. I would concur wholeheartedly with your review. Both razors are impeccable in their production, however the Wolfman is now the #1 razor in my rotation. I probably use it 75% of my shaves. It is so well balanced and as you stated, just glides over my face removing any whiskers in it's way.

I should have addressed balance between the ATT and WR1 in my original review. It is a factor for sure, as the WR1 balance just "feels right".

I think different razors react differently in different faces and contours. Very nice review indeed. For some, the Wolf works the best and for some the ATT works the best.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Golfing analogy. Some clubs work well for some, others for others.
SWMBO alert: do not read this---kinda like redheads, blondes, brunettes, too.
I wonder about the physics of the hand - some hands have stronger index fingers, middle, ring, pinky, thumb which will affect balance - just thinking out loud.
Or preference for a balance point? So many variables. This could be such great fodder for a physics based white paper. I look forward to reading more on this.

Thanks for the thoughtful comparison.

The WR1-OC razor glides over my skin
with ease. There is much more drag when using the ATT S2. I can "feel" this smoothness by applying soap to my
finger and rubbing the cap of the razor. It feels like the WR1-OC has a more teflon like surface.

Is your WR1-OC polished or brushed? I can't tell from your photos.

I'm very pleased to see another top-quality artisan stainless steel razor maker enter the market. With only two I'm aware of (ATT and Wolfman, for himself or his LA OEM contract), the market is thin. The more the merrier!

Based on what I've read, I'll stick to my ATT H2 (and R2, from time to time). It seems the two I use are more aggressive than the Wolfman choices. If he makes a more aggressive open comb, I'll likely be all over it.

i really do love my ATT razors. I have AD problems with every shaving category except razors, scuttles (Georgetown G-12), and pre-shaves (Myrsol Emulsion).

Last edited:
Interesting.
I like ATT and am curious about WM. Esthetics are not crucial though I have to say I'd like to see more pics since their website doesn't seem to do justice.
OP, do you have experience with a slant other than the ATT S2?

Interesting.
I like ATT and am curious about WM. Esthetics are not crucial though I have to say I'd like to see more pics since their website doesn't seem to do justice.
OP, do you have experience with a slant other than the ATT S2?

Yes - the Merkur 39C. It was my daily razor until the Wolfman OC. Havent used it since acquiring the Wolfman razor...

Has anyone tried the Dual comb version that has both open comb and straight bar designs? Or has anyone used both razor heads? I would be curious to see how the 2 compare. I would imagine that the straight bar would be smoother but possibly less efficient than the open comb head. Also does anyone know if they are interchangeable like the Above the Tie razors are. Can I buy one razor then just order the open comb base plate?

Top Bottom