What's new

DE has ruined me for all other shavers

This morning I was pressed for time but still needed to shave. I purchased a Gillette Proglide Styler that came with an attachment for a multi-blade cartridge. I bought the thing solely for its use as a trimmer but this morning I thought I'd try it as a razor. You know, for science!

This thing was like trying to shave my face with sandpaper. I really missed the distinct feel of a sharp blade slicing through the hair. And why (whywhywhyyy????) does anyone need to have a razor that vibrates? It's a razor, not a marital aid.

As a trimmer I really like it but I definitely won't be returning to the land of the multi-bladed cartridge any time soon. I'm a true loyalist now.

May the God of Traditional Shaving forgive me. I've done my penance, I purchased a 1960 fatboy on eBay earlier. I'll never stray again. ;)

Hey it's okay, no one is perfect :]

I once tried to shave again using the Mach 3 after not having used it for a very long time. Long story short, I may have saved approximately 3 minutes on my shave, but it did not provide any better results than my trusty Gillette Super 109 loaded with a Personna blue could, with substantially less personal satisfaction during the process.

Hey it's okay, no one is perfect :]

I once tried to shave again using the Mach 3 after not having used it for a very long time. Long story short, I may have saved approximately 3 minutes on my shave, but it did not provide any better results than my trusty Gillette Super 109 loaded with a Personna blue could, with substantially less personal satisfaction during the process.

Thanks for the reassurance. ��

I've been experimenting with the Personna blues in my razors. So far I really like them in the Aristocrat. Going to try them in the Merkur Slant and then the Fatboy when it gets here. I completely geeked out over discovering there was a blade made in the US.

The vibrating razor is not a new concept. The Stahly Live Blade was first produced in the 1940's. I think it's very cool from an engineering standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since my technique has improved shaving with a DE I've found I can get a decent shave with a cartridge, but there's just no joy in it. I love the feel of my DE in my hand and how it slices through my whiskers. Nothing better.

I don't know about any vibrating 5-blade but prior to DE I used twin Trac II compatibles, usually house brands, for over 35 years. Before I caught the bug, I stocked up on 200 blades and upgraded to a bump fighter handle. As it turned out, a new interest in DE eclipsed any use of the twin blades. Nonetheless, I am glad I have a reserve supply and alternate shaving hardware. If in a hurry I can return to the old stuff. I believe I have done so only once so far.

There is no way you can beat a DE, straight, or SE for coolness, savings, or efficiency. Plus, you aren't getting ripped off.

Last edited by a moderator:
BUT - I found that I can get an acceptable shave from a disposable if needed - knowing how to prepare your face is priceless :=) (and does good regardless of what kind of blade(s) you use)
br,
ToM

I tried shaving with a cartridge once after I started DE shaving...It just feels...weird. I just physically can't stand the feeling of having that wide blade area just scraping down my face.

I'm new to DE shaving and I love it, but I've kept my cartridge razor, and I was going to use it to shave the back of my neck yesterday. I've only used clippers on my neck, but I figured I'd try shaving it. Then while shaving my face I decided to try my DE just to see how it did. I've got a ATT OC set, and the M2 head is super smooth, so I figured I'd trust it on my neck.

My DE did a job I realize the cart could never have done, the M2 was so smooth & gentle on my neck, and the extra long hairs (clipped down to 1/4 inch) didn't even faze it, but a cartridge would've kept clogging so much I could've never gotten the job done. I might trash the cartridge stuff now.

Last edited:
If pressed for time I'll revert back to my Atra. But I can't see me using more than two blades. Ever!

The other day I shaved with a Gillette Sensor 3 because I was running late. It actually saved me like 10 minutes which was major that morning, I was that pressed for time and not shaving is not an option. I recently read that the bump fighter handle fits the Atra and Trac II razor But I've never used them before. Worth investing in for rushed mornings or to even keep at my office in case I ever need to shave at work? I would only strive for CCS/DFS so irritation won't be an issue.

The Trac II is more or less comparable to a very mild DE razor that can do two WTG passes in one go. But you still need the usual prep to get a good shave, so I don't know how much time that would save you.

I saw that commercial on tv and I laughed because I know nothing beats traditional wetshaving. For me there is no going back :D

Top Bottom