What's new

TOBS v. PDP

Okay Gents,
I having been reading up quite a bit on shaving soaps and have been narrowing down several that I want to try. There are classics I do not yet have in my den, MWF, DRH, AOS, Mike's Natural I definitely want all of these. My first soap and sort of my standard is TOBS (specifically I use Jermyn Street). I have had my eye on PDP for some time and have been trying to read up about it. There has been enough good opinions about it that it has caught my notice, but enough wishy-washy opinions that I have been cautious about going for it.
So, I would like to see how PDP compares to TOBS soaps. What aspects of the PDP soap succeeds. in other words what are its saving qualities.:biggrin1: Any input would be great. I think if I get some good feedback on this thread it should sway me one way or the other on the soap. I am not someone that will buy the soap just to buy it. I want to make sure it is quality.

Cheers,

I can't compare PDP to TOBS soap because I've only used TOBS creams. However, PDP is a great soap for me. It has a very mild scent, lathers very easily and provides a very slick lather that leaves face feeling great. PDP is a very hard soap that will last a long time so at around $15, it's a bargain.

Jermyn street was my first soap and still a go-to in the den. I can't imagine anyone giving a negative opinion of pre de Provence but ymmv. Pdp is a great quality soap, in terms of lather and ingredients. Like any soap, you need to figure out the optimum water content according to your lather preferences. I find it really slick with a nice light scent, and much better than the other two it is often compared to:provence sante and institut karite. I'm sure you will not regret buying it.

TOBS is tallow based triple milled hard soap.
PdP is glycerin based hard soap.
Both are easily lathered and provide good shaving.

TOBS is tallow based triple milled hard soap.
PdP is glycerin based hard soap.
Both are easily lathered and provide good shaving.
TOBS is not a tallow based soap. A while ago they were, but not anymore. it is triple-milled though.

Thanks for the helpful comment @alexmc545 that was what I was looking for.

I wouldn't necessarily call PdP a glycerin-based soap as that would more accurately describe a soap like Mama Bears or Colonel Conks. PdP does contain glycerin but not to the extent that MB or Conk's does. It's more of a traditional veggie soap similar to L'Occitane Cade (another french soap).

Top Bottom